Do They Know It's Christmas - Bono's line

• 46 Replies

laoghaire

Do They Know It's Christmas - Bono's line
« on: December 17, 2020, 10:02:35 PM »
What are your thoughts about his line, lyric-wise? I know he told Bob he didn't feel comfortable with it, and Bob told him he totally understood and would send him a teddy bear and sing him a lullaby as apology for asking him. (Note: This may vary somewhat from factual events).

Some people are unbothered by it but I think the lyric sucks hard.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Re: Do They Know It's Christmas - Bono's line
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 10:44:50 PM »
I had just turned 18 when it came out and I was in my 2nd year of my U2 fandom. TUF had just been released a few weeks earlier. It was my first semester in college, and also, I had just started working at my first ever job, selling skiing equipment in a store. Those were amazing times, not just for me, but for the whole music scene.

The song was massive in my parts. All of us, we were just speechless when the video was played on TV. I didnít really mind the Bono line, it was his delivery that gave us the goosebumps.

But yeah, itís a bit lame and it doesnít help that they did two other versions later on, still with Bono delivering the same line, no less.
First Chair. Last Call.

Achtung Baby

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 10:58:35 PM »
What are your thoughts about his line, lyric-wise? I know he told Bob he didn't feel comfortable with it, and Bob told him he totally understood and would send him a teddy bear and sing him a lullaby as apology for asking him. (Note: This may vary somewhat from factual events).

Some people are unbothered by it but I think the lyric sucks hard.

I definitely think it's a tough line in a charity single for "them".  Appreciate what "we" have, yes.  A good idea that was ultimately lacking in its implementation.  Not sure how I feel about the updated version (Band Aid 30) as a whole.  "Well, tonight we're reaching out and touching you" seems to at least be painting the focus in a better light though.
We Get To Carry Each Other

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 02:47:30 AM »
Itís a biting, hard hitting line in a charity song that doesnít get all cheesy. I applaud Bob for keeping it in and Bono for his delivery. It makes the listener actually think about their own situation compared to those much less fortunate. The world ainít all sugar and rainbows.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

John Galt

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 06:02:07 AM »
It's a legendary line that hits the spot.  It wasn't overthought.  I read that when they all arrived and were shown the lyrics, Bono, who isn't slow at coming forward, said put me down for that line, straightaway.  He knew gold when he saw it.

Church

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 02:47:03 PM »
While we're at it - the places where it actually does snow in Africa are in summer during Christmas.

Silly Geldof.

GoldenStateGirl

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 04:30:41 PM »
The song/lyric is definitely problematic.  And even more so as the years go on.   

I optimistically picture the line directed toward the the same folks who John asked to "rattle [their] jewelry". Bono's line is sarcastic, right?  RIGHT?  yikes

SlyDanner

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 05:20:49 PM »
I tried watching the video but I could not make it even a minute.  So cheesy and self-serving, it was not good then and it's even worse today.

Not to suggest it is not a worthy cause - of course it is.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »
The line is perfect- it is effective in the way it was meant to be, and Bono must not have been too bothered by it if he repeated it again for the first re-make of the single.  i believe it was on the third one where it finally changes.

laoghaire

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 05:29:14 PM »
I tried watching the video but I could not make it even a minute.  So cheesy and self-serving, it was not good then and it's even worse today.

Agreed on all points. A worthy cause. A terrible song. Terrible lyric. Executed in complete tone deafness.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 05:34:27 PM »

Agreed on all points. A worthy cause. A terrible song. Terrible lyric. Executed in complete tone deafness.
not a fan of Geldoff and yeah this was a self-serving act of 'charity' but i like the song and think it's decent- and obviously it's a classic, i can't go 30 minutes without hearing it in December on the radio or tv in the UK.

MUCH better than We are the World.  THAT song is cringe-worthy.

MPare1966

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 05:47:24 PM »

not a fan of Geldoff and yeah this was a self-serving act of 'charity' but i like the song and think it's decent- and obviously it's a classic, i can't go 30 minutes without hearing it in December on the radio or tv in the UK.

True that.
First Chair. Last Call.

financeguy1

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2020, 09:29:17 PM »

I like both of them.  :-[

laoghaire

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2020, 10:17:54 PM »
Team Neither

MPare1966

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 10:31:10 PM »

I like both of them.  :-[

WTF man? WATW is soooo bad, itís unbearable.

Do They Know Itís Christmas still gives me goosebumps, though. 
First Chair. Last Call.