U2 Grammy Injustices

• 72 Replies

Codeguy

• In the shadows
U2 Grammy Injustices
« on: September 28, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
OK, so it seems to me that U2 has been rewarded for their worst work and ignored for their best. Thought I'd start a thread for their greatest grammy injustices - good work that was ignored AND mediocre work that was rewarded.

Here's my list. What's yours?

1. Unforgettable Fire completely ignored. Deserved album of the year over Lionel Ritchie's Can't slow down
2. Elevation winning Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal - it wasn't
3. Achtung Baby losing album of the year to Eric Clapton just because Clapton's son died - not because Clapton unplugged was better than AB
4. Zooropa not being nominated for best alternative album
5. Atomoc Bomb winning Album of the year over Green Day's American Idiot

What's your list?
-------

julez728

Re: U2 Grammy Injustices
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 01:07:45 PM »
OK, so it seems to me that U2 has been rewarded for their worst work and ignored for their best. Thought I'd start a thread for their greatest grammy injustices - good work that was ignored AND mediocre work that was rewarded.

1. Unforgettable Fire completely ignored. Deserved album of the year over Lionel Ritchie's Can't slow down
2. Elevation winning Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal - it wasn't
3. Achtung Baby losing album of the year to Eric Clapton just because Clapton's son died - not because Clapton unplugged was better than AB

What's your list?

Zooropa won the Grammy for best alternative album.
I feel my luck could change.

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 01:25:37 PM »

What's your list?

so, what was the best rock performance?

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 01:25:56 PM »
white dopes on punk ~ staring into the flash `*+'"

wons

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2020, 01:50:52 PM »

What's your list?

Great, another trash U2 thread. By the way, not only was Zooropa nominated for best alternative album, but it won the actual award in 1994. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb did not win over Green Day's American Idiot because the two albums were nominated for that award in different years. Cut off for nomination at the 2005 Grammy Awards was end of September 2004. American Idiot made that cut off. HTDAAB was released in November 2004 which meant it was not eligible until 2006 for the Grammy Award.

In any event HTDAAB is the greatest album by any artist since the year 2000, while American Idiot did not deserve any Grammy nominations.

laoghaire

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
Counterpoint: American Idiot is excellent and is Green Day's finest work.

JTBaby

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 01:53:45 PM »

What's your list?

Great, another trash U2 thread.

In any event HTDAAB is the greatest album by any artist since the year 2000, while American Idiot did not deserve any Grammy nominations.

3 of the 5 were supportive of U2.

HTDAAB is still crap.

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
“Albums still matter,” he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. “Like books and black lives"

wons

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 02:00:30 PM »

What's your list?

Irrelevant

HTDAAB is still crap.

Proves my point about the thread.

JTBaby

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »

What's your list?

Irrelevant

HTDAAB is still crap.

Proves my point about the thread.

Totally relevant.

The thread is trashing the Grammies, not U2.

And yes, HTDAAB is crap, again proving the premise of the thread accurate !

:D

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
“Albums still matter,” he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. “Like books and black lives"

Achtung Baby

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 02:29:21 PM »
I guess with TUF, Pride is the only song from that album played with any regularity; at least from what I hear.  A great case can be made for Achtung Baby (One and MW in particular are still huge).  Clapton Unplugged does have Tears In Heaven and Layla though.  Trying to put aside my preference, I can probably see the argument for either.  Competition is always a factor; in both wins and losses.  Some years are more competitive than others! 
Sometimes

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »

What's your list?

I stand corrected! I thought Zooropa was ignored. I thought the "fuck up the mainstream" thing was at the MTV awards
-------

John Galt

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 02:33:02 PM »

What's your list?

Well at least they're not trashing you, wons.  Progress, not perfection.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 02:34:16 PM »

What's your list?

Great, another trash U2 thread. By the way, not only was Zooropa nominated for best alternative album, but it won the actual award in 1994. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb did not win over Green Day's American Idiot because the two albums were nominated for that award in different years. Cut off for nomination at the 2005 Grammy Awards was end of September 2004. American Idiot made that cut off. HTDAAB was released in November 2004 which meant it was not eligible until 2006 for the Grammy Award.

You're right wons. I guess my memory is faulty because I remember Bono looking at Tres cool and saying "Green Day your day will come" ...... My mistake.

Anyway it was not a 'trash U2 thread' - just making a point about how useless the Grammys are as a measure of great art.
-------

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 04:29:18 PM »

What's your list?

I stand corrected! I thought Zooropa was ignored. I thought the "fuck up the mainstream" thing was at the MTV awards

you should hand in your Moderator card.

Also, you did not answer my earlier question.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 04:45:48 PM »

I wish we hadn't lost him.

But I can only look back on that wonderful insouciant, fuck you attitude and realize that it too is a calculated effort to bolster the band's image. Bono could pull it off then, unlike the earnest AOR identity he's pursued this century, but it was no different in intention.

Come to think of it, hasn't that always been U2's thing, even before the lamentable '00s? The band like to think itself unclassifiable, but that's really just because it tried to be a punk band when it was not, tried to be an American band when it was not, and to be grungy and danceable and industrial when it was not. That was Achtung Baby, and it worked because the band was predicting a development in popular music—not jumping onto one—and the sounds of the record were in-line with its exploratory talents.

U2 is The Unforgettable Fire and its '90s records. All else is imitation. They disobeyed a rare musical intuition for "craftsmanship" (i.e., pop success).