Weight training

• 2 Replies

financeguy1

Weight training
« on: September 20, 2020, 05:42:27 PM »
Ok, what are good dumb-bell exercises for a very lazy man?

I am interested in building up biceps, shoulders and attaining flat stomach to remove the last of the excess from the cider binge years.

laoghaire

Re: Weight training
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 07:51:48 PM »
Go FG!!

Besides your basic curl, here are some moves.

Bent-over row. Lean forward and use one hand to brace yourself on a chair or sofa or something. With the other hand, pull the dumbbell up toward your chest. You want to be positioned so you are pulling straight up against gravity.

Triceps - with a relatively lighter weight, hold the dumbell in a natural standing position and then life your arm BACK while keeping elbow straight. Resist the urge to swing the weight, move in a controlled and deliberate motion. You could also do this from the same bent-over position as above.

Lunge - holding two dumbells, go into the lunge position (one foot forward with knee bent at right angle, other foot backward with knee somewhat straight but not totally.

You can simulate a bench press with two dumbells laying down, and you can do a military press by sitting up straight and lifting them straight up over your head.

I'm interested in using the weights again. If you want a motivation buddy, let me know.

One reason I like weights is that you can track your progress as you increase weight and reps over time.

financeguy1

Re: Weight training
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 07:58:40 PM »
Ok great. I got a basic plan from a trainer in rehab:

Squat 7.5 kg X 1                                         3 or 4 sets of 10 reps
Bench press 7.5kg X 2                                 Ditto
Lunge 7.5 kg X 2                                         Ditto
Bent over row 10kg X 1                                Ditto

Supplementary:
Bent over fly (?)
Bicep curl 5 kg
Tricep curl 2.5 kg

I only have two 7kg dumbbells so will make do with those.