Does life get less fun, the older you get?

• 36 Replies

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
Does life get less fun, the older you get?
« on: September 13, 2020, 09:53:39 AM »
What says you? I think it does, BUT, that said, im not your normal adult. Im quite happy being a hermit these days. I rarely go out. I rarely see anyone. I have loads of mates (many have been mates for 30, 40+ years) so they have hung about.
But i just got to thinking, my life these days doesnt have much in the way of joy now. I had a great time up until my mid 30s. And then life started getting more serious and stressful.
Gone are the days of welcoming friends and families babies into the world, and celebrating friends weddings etc. I am now 50 and consider myself in "snipers alley" I now seem to be having to say goodby to a lot of people who played a part in my life, as way too many are passing away, at a youngish age.
Id just like to add, this is merely an observation i have made. I am VERY grateful to still be here and in pretty good health. I know i need to go out there more and make life happen.

Anyone else feeling this way?
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

riffraff

• Angel, it's sink or swim
Re: Does life get less fun, the older you get?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 10:23:24 AM »
Getting old absolutely sucks. And this has been tripled by the covid crap.
Deep in the heart of this place

financeguy1

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 11:03:48 AM »
I had a great time up until my mid 30s.

I don't think that's unusual. Western society kind of encourages an elongated adolescence. (Personally I'm still in it. The elongated adolesence, that is).

Back in the olden days, we'd be sent down tha mine at the age of 14 months or somewhat.

laoghaire

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 12:37:02 PM »
I feel like I could easily be very happy if I didn't live in hell.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 12:50:50 PM »
Life isnít stagnant, it keeps moving along. The fun I had when I was a young kid was family fun: trips to Disneyland, playing with my brothers, making friends at school. When I was a  young adult it was different fun: going out with my buddies, girls, etc. Now that Iím married with a kid itís changed again, a lot of the fun I have is seeing her having a blast: trips to Disneyland, hanging out with her, teaching her new things. Still important to see my friends here and there and for the wife and I to keep things interesting.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

John Galt

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »

I don't think that's unusual. Western society kind of encourages an elongated adolescence. (Personally I'm still in it. The elongated adolesence, that is).

Me too.  Time won't take the boy out of this man.

When you're younger more things are novel and therefore exciting.  When one gets to certain age one tends to feel like one's been there and done it.  For example, I don't believe I could ever get as excited about a woman again as I did about teenage girls when I was a teenager.

The best advice I could give is to try to experience life like a child and try new things, if you have the energy and inclination to that is, and know that you deserve to experience joy in life wherever you may find it.  Look after your physical and mental health and fitness as well, which very important.  Life's a whole lot easier when one is in good shape, feel quite fit and not living in pain and with depression.  Personally, grief has hit me for the first time in my life recently and I've found it difficult and it's made me question a lot of things in my life.

riffraff

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 03:20:17 PM »

Me too.  Time won't take the boy out of this man.

When you're younger more things are novel and therefore exciting.  When one gets to certain age one tends to feel like one's been there and done it.  For example, I don't believe I could ever get as excited about a woman again as I did about teenage girls when I was a teenager.

The best advice I could give is to try to experience life like a child and try new things, if you have the energy and inclination to that is, and know that you deserve to experience joy in life wherever you may find it.  Look after your physical and mental health and fitness as well, which very important.  Life's a whole lot easier when one is in good shape, feel quite fit and not living in pain and with depression.  Personally, grief has hit me for the first time in my life recently and I've found it difficult and it's made me question a lot of things in my life.
Sorry to hear that you're grieving. Grief means that you have loved, or cared for, someone...and that is a wonderful thing to remember.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 05:41:08 AM »
I've never thought that life was supposed to be, or better if "fun". I believe the struggles and overcoming them add value to the good aspects of life.

As I've aged, I have learned to be more aware of the little things, the good little things, and appreciate them. When I was younger I was obsessed with what I didn't have and the things that I had not done. Now I'm able to be content with what I have and what I've done.
My kids make fun of me when sometimes I just stare at them doing stupid things with a big smile. They know I'm taking it all in and appreciate the moment for what it is.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 05:41:27 AM »
I feel like I could easily be very happy if I didn't live in hell.

I love your sense of humor  ;D

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 09:12:34 AM »
Im hoping i dont sound ungrateful. I am very lucky to have made it to 50. Some of my friends didnt get anywhere near it :(

And thinking about things. I do have lots of nice moments, in my own way. I still get super hyped when thinking about my kids. They bring me a lot of joy. And im at the stage in life, where i can say that i get a lot of joy being out in nature and such like.
BUT, i thought life would get easier as we aged, but, im likely dealing with stress and upset more than ever. A lot of it has to do with my Autistic son, who really really struggles. I am so fearful of what MIGHT lye ahead. But at the same time, im trying to keep a lid on that fear and not let it over run me.

You

riffraff

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 09:41:53 AM »
"don't fear the world, it isn't there"

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »
Im hoping i dont sound ungrateful. I am very lucky to have made it to 50. Some of my friends didnt get anywhere near it :(

And thinking about things. I do have lots of nice moments, in my own way. I still get super hyped when thinking about my kids. They bring me a lot of joy. And im at the stage in life, where i can say that i get a lot of joy being out in nature and such like.
BUT, i thought life would get easier as we aged, but, im likely dealing with stress and upset more than ever. A lot of it has to do with my Autistic son, who really really struggles. I am so fearful of what MIGHT lye ahead. But at the same time, im trying to keep a lid on that fear and not let it over run me.

I think what you are feeling is natural. When we're young, we want to do everything but we don't know much. Then we get older and hopefully wiser but we don't have the time and/or energy or ressources to do what we want.
Hence it's important to be able to enjoy what every phase of your life can bring, rather than be frustrated by what it does not. Easier said than done, of course.

It seems to me that you have a lot on your plate and you should be proud for what you've done so far. I know from another thread it has not come easy. Regreting the past / worrying for the future doesn't help, but it's hard not to.

JTBaby

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »
I'm late 50's, wife is early 50's, just had a blast of a weekend, rented a house that sat about 10 feet from the Ocean.

we couldn't have done that in our 30s. For one thing we didn't always have the same level of disposable income. Secondly we had kids to traipse around with us.

There are definite advantages to getting older, keeping young is a state of mind as much as anything.

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
ďAlbums still matter,Ē he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. ďLike books and black lives"

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 11:26:36 AM »
I've never thought that life was supposed to be, or better if "fun". I believe the struggles and overcoming them add value to the good aspects of life.

As I've aged, I have learned to be more aware of the little things, the good little things, and appreciate them. When I was younger I was obsessed with what I didn't have and the things that I had not done. Now I'm able to be content with what I have and what I've done.
My kids make fun of me when sometimes I just stare at them doing stupid things with a big smile. They know I'm taking it all in and appreciate the moment for what it is.

You raise a very good point about the vicissitudes of life. Not to ignite another religious debate, but this is part of the reason why the idea of heaven doesn't much appeal to me. I like to feel bad sometimes. I would hate to be infinitely happy.

The contentment you speak of sounds like a natural result of age. You get older and accomplish things, things your younger self didn't have the time to do, and so that youthful ambition willfully evaporates.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »
I'm late 50's, wife is early 50's, just had a blast of a weekend, rented a house that sat about 10 feet from the Ocean.

we couldn't have done that in our 30s. For one thing we didn't always have the same level of disposable income. Secondly we had kids to traipse around with us.

There are definite advantages to getting older, keeping young is a state of mind as much as anything.

Doing stuff like that would bring me joy. I was just saying to my mate, 30 mins ago, that id love to get away for a weekend break. That really appeals to me :)
You