Vinyl sales surpass CD sales for the first time in 34 years

• 23 Replies

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Vinyl sales surpass CD sales for the first time in 34 years
« on: September 10, 2020, 07:22:57 PM »
The CD, a dying format. How long does it have? Three? Four years?

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/09/vinyl-sales-surpass-cds-34-years/
First Chair. Last Call.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Re: Vinyl sales surpass CD sales for the first time in 34 years
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 03:23:00 AM »
I don't think anyone could have predicted this. That's kind of amazing.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

wons

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »

There are still plenty of people who buy compact disc. To the tune of several hundred million dollars worldwide when you look at an entire year. The figures in the article I believe were just for the United States and the first six months of the year. Too much money is being made from CD purchases for people to consider not making them anymore. Many Music artist make a lot more money from CD purchases than they do from streaming. Even for those that are lucky in the streaming market, CD purchases are not something you would want to go without. Just look at Taylor Swift. She has sold 860,000 Compact Disc of her new album in the United States over the past month. I bet Taylor Swift has earned a lot more money from that massive CD sales total than from streams of the new album.

Also for U2, given how poor they do in the streaming market with their new music, I bet they still make more money from the physical vinyl and Compact Disc they put out for the new album.

As long as U2 and Taylor Swift are making good money for their new recorded music from Compact Disc vs what they earn from streaming, they keep churning CD's out.

If U2 comes out with a 20th Anniversary Box Set of Songs Of Experience in 2037, I'm sure it will have a CD option.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »
A dying format...

This graph shows just how badly in America alone:

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 12:31:15 PM »
A dying format...

This graph shows just how badly in America alone:

Wont be long before it reaches 1979 levels.  ;D
First Chair. Last Call.

laoghaire

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 01:29:45 PM »
Who was buying compac discs in 1983?  ???

riffraff

• And I don't know what's what
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 01:42:23 PM »
I probably was...
She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 01:53:30 PM »
In other news, sales of horse and buggy outpaced chariots last year too
--------
< - This man does not exist.

John Galt

• He's Going to Dream Out Loud!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 02:10:43 PM »

There are still plenty of people who buy compact disc. To the tune of several hundred million dollars worldwide when you look at an entire year. The figures in the article I believe were just for the United States and the first six months of the year. Too much money is being made from CD purchases for people to consider not making them anymore. Many Music artist make a lot more money from CD purchases than they do from streaming. Even for those that are lucky in the streaming market, CD purchases are not something you would want to go without. Just look at Taylor Swift. She has sold 860,000 Compact Disc of her new album in the United States over the past month. I bet Taylor Swift has earned a lot more money from that massive CD sales total than from streams of the new album.

Also for U2, given how poor they do in the streaming market with their new music, I bet they still make more money from the physical vinyl and Compact Disc they put out for the new album.

As long as U2 and Taylor Swift are making good money for their new recorded music from Compact Disc vs what they earn from streaming, they keep churning CD's out.

If U2 comes out with a 20th Anniversary Box Set of Songs Of Experience in 2037, I'm sure it will have a CD option.

You're not wrong, wons. 

I can't understand why they didn't release a remastered R&H and Pop.  They were both deserving of the deluxe treatment.

"I am awake"

- Walter White

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »

You're not wrong, wons. 

I can't understand why they didn't release a remastered R&H and Pop.  They were both deserving of the deluxe treatment.

Much as neither is my favorite U2 album, both had great alt-versions, b-sides etc that would have made for a great deluxe experience.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 11:25:06 AM »
I mostly buy CDs these days. I buy them used condition for pennies....much like i did with vinyl, before vinyl got fashionable again. I much prefer to own a physical copy, but it does take up a lot of space in my flat. I am now wondering if i could manage to seel all my CDs and vinyl (and the units used to store them) and my hi fi and live with just streaming music
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

laoghaire

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »
I dunno about selling your vinyl but I don't see anything you'd lose switching from CD to digital other than the jewel boxes (which I don't care about).

JTBaby

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »
The CD will soon be as outdated as the (non blu-ray or 4K) DVD.

“Albums still matter,” he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. “Like books and black lives"

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 04:33:51 PM »

Which is a little strange, considering that the CD still represents the best audio quality you can get out of a physical format, while the DVD is legitimately outdated. Yeah, vinyl isn't hampered by bitrate limitations and the like as an analog medium, but it's got issues with distortion and frequency response.

CDs are just boring. People who care too much about sound quality get FLACs or uncompressed files, and the format isn't as collectible as vinyl.

JTBaby

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 05:06:12 PM »

Which is a little strange, considering that the CD still represents the best audio quality you can get out of a physical format, while the DVD is legitimately outdated. Yeah, vinyl isn't hampered by bitrate limitations and the like as an analog medium, but it's got issues with distortion and frequency response.

CDs are just boring. People who care too much about sound quality get FLACs or uncompressed files, and the format isn't as collectible as vinyl.

Vinyl is art.

and I can actually read the lyrics and liner notes !

“Albums still matter,” he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. “Like books and black lives"