New Springsteen Album and Song

• 3 Replies

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
New Springsteen Album and Song
« on: September 10, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »
That was quick! A year after releasing his solo album Western Stars (which I love) the Boss is releasing a full E-Street album next month. The album was recorded live in his home studio in just 5 days (U2 take note, you don’t need years you record an album).

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bruce-springsteen-letter-to-you-new-rock-album-with-the-e-street-band-1057419/

The first song released is the title track Letter to You. Kinda a slow tempo song. Only gave it one listen so will need more to really see how I feel about it. After first listen it’s ok but nothing great. As of right now I much prefer the singles on the last album, Hello Sunshine and Western Stars.

Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Re: New Springsteen Album and Song
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 03:17:54 PM »
Not a fan of Springsteen - but do respect him as an artist and like the odd song.

He and those around him strike me as being in it primarily for the music as opposed to the money and all the rest of the bullshit.

riffraff

• Stolen days you don’t give back
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 04:22:27 PM »
I'm a fan from way back, but not too impressed with this song, so far anyway. I gotta tell you, though, this man rocked the house back in the 70's.
I’ve seen for myself, there’s no end to grief, that’s how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 01:18:18 PM »
Bruce on the cover of Rolling Stone with accompanying article.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/bruce-springsteen-interview-new-album-touring-e-street-band-1059109/

On a snowy day last November, just a few yards from where we’re sitting, in the light-splashed, blond-wood studio he shares with his wife, Patti Scialfa, Springsteen gathered the E Street Band for five days of recording. They managed to lay down an entire album. “We were doing a song every three hours,” says Steve Van Zandt, who compares the pace to the Beatles’ early sessions. “We basically cut the album in four days. We booked five days and on the fifth day we had nothin’ to do, so we just listened to it.”

Without warning, “all the songs from the album came out of it,” he says, full of wonder. “In perhaps less than 10 days. I just wandered around the house in different rooms, and I wrote a song each day. I wrote a song in the bedroom. I wrote a song in our bar. I wrote a song in the living room.” The first to emerge was the slow-building, elegiac “Last Man Standing,” one of the most directly autobiographical songs in Springsteen’s catalog, tracing the Castiles’ gigs (“Knights of Columbus and the Fireman’s Ball/Friday night at the Union Hall/The black-leather clubs all along Route 9”) before jumping to a future scarred by loss: “You count the names of the missing as you count off time.”

Were it not for the intervention of a once-in-a-century global catastrophe, Springsteen — who turns 71 on September 23rd — would right now be preparing for that world tour with the E Street Band. It was supposed to start, he reveals, in the spring of 2021. Instead, he says, “My antenna tells me, at best, 2022. And I would consider the concert industry lucky if it happens then.… I’m going to consider myself lucky if I lose just a year of touring life. Once you hit 70, there’s a finite amount of tours and a finite amount of years that you have. And so you lose one or two, that’s not so great. Particularly because I feel the band is capable of playing at the very, very, very top, or better than, of its game right now. And I feel as vital as I’ve ever felt in my life.… It’s not being able to do something that is a fundamental life force, something I’ve lived for since I was 16 years old.”

Good article. Looks like Bruce had some inspiration and wrote the songs fairly quickly. Also of note is that he is working on Tracks 2 and also another album. We were supposed to get an E Street tour this spring but now not likely until 2022.

Also saw that he released a 2nd song from the album, Ghosts, which I like more then the 1st song released.

Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times