How well do you know October?

• 9 Replies

laoghaire

How well do you know October?
« on: August 30, 2020, 01:27:11 PM »
October is kind of the red-headed stepchild of the 1900s catalog.

Ignoring the question of whether you LIKE the album - hiw well do you KNOW it?

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
Re: How well do you know October?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »
I know Gloria, Tomorrow, and October like the back of my hand.  I kinda know I Threw a Brick and I Fall Down.  I can remember a riff or something from Rejoice and Is That All (though the latter is really just because of Electric Co live).  I can remember the part where he says "JEEEEERUUUUUSSAAAALLLEEEEMMMM" from With a Shout because I find it really annoying.  I know that Scarlet is basically an instrumental track except he says "rejoice" over it, but I don't remember anything else about it.  Fire and Stranger in a Strange Land I have absolutely no memory of whatsoever, and I listened to them last week.
There's a bible verse,
says the last one shall be first.
Well, if that verse is true,
there's hope for me and you.
-Kevin Kerby

riffraff

• Stolen days you donít give back
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 01:48:52 PM »
I don't know about "note to note", but I know it pretty darn well.
Iíve seen for myself, thereís no end to grief, thatís how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love

Pride

• Are you gonna wait forever?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
Pretty much note for note. I listened to it a lot in 2014. It's in my top three U2 albums even if it is super religious lyrically.
Or is it now?

AchtungBaby1991

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
I don't listen to this album very much. He is not one of my favorites and I am still looking for a way to it.
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 05:32:17 AM »
I know this album so well. But...i couldnt name you all the songs on the album, in order.

I cant belive we are only 4 weeks away from October Day 2020. That is when, on the 1st of October, every year, i listen to the album a few times, back to back. It is the only album in the world, that has its own special day, in my life. Listening to it evokes many great memories, of growing up with my best mate. All them RAW, stormy highland days, spent cosy, inside my mates bedroom, with the heating on,, pottering around, with October playing. Just makes me so happy thinking about it. I miss them days!
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »
I know it well enough not to have to listen to it anymore... (not in full, anyway, but I very rarely listen to albums anymore).

In fact, I've absorbed it  :P
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

JTBaby

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
note for note

2nd U2 album I ever bought , first I ever bought on day of release

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
ďAlbums still matter,Ē he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. ďLike books and black lives"

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
I've heard it but not that much.

Which feels odd as a member of a U2 fan forum. I probably know the band's 2000s work better than October. (This must be because those albums receive more attention from fans, and I've familiarized myself with them in order to responsibly discuss them.) I do prefer October to those records, however. I just listened to it again to partake in the elimination poll.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
I've heard it but not that much.

Which feels odd as a member of a U2 fan forum. I probably know the band's 2000s work better than October. (This must be because those albums receive more attention from fans, and I've familiarized myself with them in order to responsibly discuss them.) I do prefer October to those records, however. I just listened to it again to partake in the elimination poll.

Had to do the same myself to play the elimination game.

October was a bit of a let down on first listen back in Ď83, after discovering the band with War. Had a better experience with Boy on first listen.
First Chair. Last Call.