Venues Gone or Repurposed

• 8 Replies

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Venues Gone or Repurposed
« on: August 25, 2020, 11:16:12 AM »
What venues have you attended major music acts shows that are either gone, repurposed or in disrepair going unused.  Almost all of the shows of I have been to have been in the U.S northeast and Canada.  Here is my list of "lost" venues.

New Haven Coliseum, Connecticut (Demolished)
Montreal Forum (repurposed)
Memorial Auditorium, Vermont (disrepair/abandoned)
Montreal Hippodrome (to my knowledge, only 1 act ever played there U2360 and they built and then removed their own venue on the grounds which is otherwise currently abandoned)
Saratoga Raceway (while it's still there and functioning as a horse racing venue as always, I don't find there has been any concert activity since 2004)

John Galt

Re: Venues Gone or Repurposed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 11:23:34 AM »
There shouldn't be any concerts at a horseracing venue, there should be horse racing.

JTBaby

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »
What venues have you attended major music acts shows that are either gone, repurposed or in disrepair going unused.  Almost all of the shows of I have been to have been in the U.S northeast and Canada.  Here is my list of "lost" venues.

Montreal Hippodrome (to my knowledge, only 1 act ever played there U2360 and they built and then removed their own venue on the grounds which is otherwise currently abandoned)
Saratoga Raceway (while it's still there and functioning as a horse racing venue as always, I don't find there has been any concert activity since 2004)

Irvine Meadows - Condos
Universal Amphitheater - Harry Potter World
Glasgow Apollo - Movie Theater Complex I think

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
“Albums still matter,” he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. “Like books and black lives"

John Galt

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »
The Manchester G-Mex, where I've seen INXS (1990) and Prince (1995), and is the where U2 played their 'Sellafield' show on Zoo TV, is now a temporary field hospital for non-critical coronavirus patients, part of a network of temporary NHS Nightingale Hospitals.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 11:56:43 AM »

There’s countless acts I’ve seen at the Montreal Forum, including my 1st U2 show (TUF in ‘85)

As for the Hippodrome, it’s been decommissioned from horse racing for decades.
First Chair. Last Call.

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 12:48:04 PM »

There’s countless acts I’ve seen at the Montreal Forum, including my 1st U2 show (TUF in ‘85)

As for the Hippodrome, it’s been decommissioned from horse racing for decades.

I hadn't thought about this until just now.  I saw U2 at the Hippodrome, a former horse racing venue and saw ZooTV Outside Broadcast at Saratoga, which was then and still is a horse racing venue.  Go figure?

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 11:06:43 PM »
Lots for me...

Pontiac Silverdome, where I saw my 1st concert - demolished. Amazon's building a huge facility on the grounds.

Joe Louis Arena - demolished

Palace of Auburn Hills, where U2 performed the best show I've ever seen - demolished.

CNE Exhibition Stadium in Toronto - demolished.

Cobo Arena - converted into a 45,000 sq ft exhibition hall/ballroom.

The Ritz - one of Detroit's 2 hair-metal palaces...the building's there, but the part of it that was the Ritz isn't being used for anything...?

Phoenix Center - subject of a seeming never-ending series of court battles. Has held exactly one show in the last decade, I believe.

Industry - now a EDM club called Elecktricity

The Graystone Ballroom - Detroit's hardcore punk venue back in the '80s was a storefront church last time I went past it, but that was like back in 2007, so who knows what it is now?

...and finally, Clutch Cargo's. Was converted from a church into a concert venue back in the mid-'90s, and got converted back into a church about 3 years ago.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »
Most of the stadia in Ireland I went to growing up have been refurbished, but not repurposed.

I saw UF 85 and JT 87 at Croke park - then a miserable mega-stadium, now a rebuilt modern place with a capacity of 83,000

I saw Lovetown 89/90 at the Point Depot, which was knocked down and rebuilt as the o2 arena.

I saw Zoo TV at the RDS which was at the time a showjumping arena, but is now rebuilt mostly as Leinster Rugby's home stadium.

The POPMart tour was played in Lansdowne Road, which was soon after demolished and rebuilt as the Aviva stadium.

-------

JTBaby

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 01:05:31 PM »
Wolfgangs in San Francisco - Destroyed by fire

Fillmore West - refurbished as a new venue I think. Haven't lived in the bay area in a long time now.

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
“Albums still matter,” he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. “Like books and black lives"