Say only good things.

About.

WAR!!!!!
-------

Pride

• Are you gonna wait forever?
Re: Say only good things about: WAR
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 01:10:02 AM »
Surrender is a magical song. My favorite '80s U2 song besides Pride. The "If I want to live I've got to die to myself someday" right into that big chant at the end is amazing.

Red Light is a great song, especially Bono's singing (both the melody of the vocal line and just the power of his voice). Singing along to the trumpet solo is fun.

It's a shame they only played Like a Song... live once. Another one of my top U2 songs, I'd love to see it live.

Also I want to mention that Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop) is another great song even if it's mostly Bongolese.
Or is it now?

Zoo adam

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 02:40:16 AM »
Surrender is a magical song. My favorite '80s U2 song besides Pride. The "If I want to live I've got to die to myself someday" right into that big chant at the end is amazing.

Red Light is a great song, especially Bono's singing (both the melody of the vocal line and just the power of his voice). Singing along to the trumpet solo is fun.

It's a shame they only played Like a Song... live once. Another one of my top U2 songs, I'd love to see it live.

Also I want to mention that Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop) is another great song even if it's mostly Bongolese.

Both surrender & Red Light have been criticised as part of a weak 3 song ending on War.

Surprising as always liked the songs 

Zoo adam

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 02:44:33 AM »
A short album, but strong all the way through.

SBS is a famous classic while NYD & Two Hearts were deserved top 20 singles. The Refugee was the perfect third single that never was.

Other treats are Like a Song, Seconds, Surrender & Red Light.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 06:02:33 AM »
War is a great album. 3 of my absolute faves are on this album. Seconds, Like A Song and Drowning Man. Surrender is great too. I prefer the alternative studio version of SBS tho
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

riffraff

• Angel, it's sink or swim
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 07:03:51 AM »
Drowning Man...
WONDERFUL

Nothing else needs to be said.
Deep in the heart of this place

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 07:34:15 AM »
In my heart, it towers above all the others.
First Chair. Last Call.

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 09:15:13 AM »
sunday bloody sunday rocks pretty hard but i actually like new years day a tad better

seconds and two hearts are also very energetic rockers that should be played a lot more

surrender is just gorgeous, maybe the best song on the album? could almost imagine it on unforgettable fire as it has that unique sound

40 is a great closer

overall a great album and it's a shame most of the material gets overlooked

white dopes on punk ~ staring into the flash `*+'"##
___________________________=____________________________

**~Post of the Week CHAMPION as of 11-13-2020~**

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
I saw a sales chart for u2 albums a good while back. I checked it a few times. The Chart definitely said that War had sold 23M copies worldwide. That would make it the bands second most successful album. Im thinking it was wrong, by quite a distance?
You

MPare1966

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 10:08:54 AM »
I saw a sales chart for u2 albums a good while back. I checked it a few times. The Chart definitely said that War had sold 23M copies worldwide. That would make it the bands second most successful album. Im thinking it was wrong, by quite a distance?

Real number is actually 11M copies sold. Which puts it behind AB, JT, R&H, ATYCLB. But above Pop and Bomb.  :D
First Chair. Last Call.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 10:12:43 AM »

Real number is actually 11M copies sold. Which puts it behind AB, JT, R&H, ATYCLB. But above Pop and Bomb.  :D

Yeah, Im more content to believe that figure.
You

JTBaby

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 10:24:36 AM »
Like A Song and Drowning Man are 2 of their best deep cuts.

Last tour without backing tracks.

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
“Albums still matter,” he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. “Like books and black lives"

laoghaire

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 01:57:26 PM »
About 5 days ago I woke up with an urge to hear SBS.

When I got the chance to do so, I was treated to the sublime experience of listening to a U2 song with somewhat refreshed ears. It's a beautiful thing, guys.

I then listened to the rest of the album. It strikes a spot that should be physically impossible, the atomic overlap of a Venn diagram that should be two seperate circles, between RIGHTEOUSNESS and HUMILITY. It's angry and righteous as hell, those SBS drum parts a military boot stomping and kicking. Yet, "I don't get the answers right, I leave that to you." And then the punch again, "Is this love out of fashion, or is it the time of year? Are these words a distration to the words you want to hear?" BAM.

That's War. That's some mythic Dad grabbing you by the collar and giving you a hard shake - and you feel nothing but pure love from it because he was saving your damn life and roughly kissing your cheek.

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 01:59:45 PM »

When I got the chance to do so, I was treated to the sublime experience of listening to a U2 song with somewhat refreshed ears. It's a beautiful thing, guys.

I then listened to the rest of the album. It strikes a spot that should be physically impossible, the atomic overlap of a Venn diagram that should be two seperate circles, between RIGHTEOUSNESS and HUMILITY. It's angry and righteous as hell, those SBS drum parts a military boot stomping and kicking. Yet, "I don't get the answers right, I leave that to you." And then the punch again, "Is this love out of fashion, or is it the time of year? Are these words a distration to the words you want to hear?" BAM.

That's War. That's some mythic Dad grabbing you by the collar and giving you a hard shake - and you feel nothing but pure love from it because he was saving your damn life and roughly kissing your cheek.

white dopes on punk ~ staring into the flash `*+'"##
___________________________=____________________________

**~Post of the Week CHAMPION as of 11-13-2020~**

MPare1966

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »

^^^^
Post of the WeekTM
First Chair. Last Call.