Kashmir, not Stairway, is the zenith of Rock Music creativity
« on: August 22, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »
Prove me wrong.......

-------

riffraff

• Stolen days you donít give back
Re: Kashmir, not Stairway, is the zenith of Rock Music creativity
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »
Kashmir is a song for making love. Stairway is a song for toking up.
Iíve seen for myself, thereís no end to grief, thatís how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love

John Galt

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 02:12:22 PM »
Stairway to Heaven is quite simply one of the two greatest rocks songs of all time.  The other is Gimme Shelter.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
I love both and I guess itís what you appreciate more.

Stairway has a very majestic quality to it. The way it builds from the quiet start to the bombastic finish. Lyrics of longing and hope like Plant used to say. The bridge before the solo and the solo itself may just be the best piece of music and guitar solo in rock history.

Kashmir is epic on all scales. Musically and lyrically fantastic. More mysterious then majestic like Stairway. The riff is among the best in rock and Bonham is at his best. In the extra footage from It Might Get Loud Edge mentions how menacing the drums sound. Lyrically I think itís Plant at his best. Weíve heard U2 talk about the Joshua Tree and how they wanted the listener to feel like the music takes you to a physical place. On Kashmir Zeppelin actually achieved this. You listen to Kashmir and you feel like your driving through the night in a desert in some far off land.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
I've always thought The Ocean, with it's very odd shifting time signature (1 measure of 4/4 and 1 measure of 7/8) and pretty outstanding drumming by John B to be Zep's best.
Hold on, people! The man's talking about waste management. That affects the whole damn planet.

JTBaby

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 10:13:25 AM »
As a huge Zep fan, if I never hear Stairway again I'm ok.

I could listen to Kashmir every day though.

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
ďAlbums still matter,Ē he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. ďLike books and black lives"

riffraff

• Stolen days you donít give back
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 10:20:44 AM »
As a huge Zep fan, if I never hear Stairway again I'm ok.

I could listen to Kashmir every day though.
Yeah. Many, many moons ago, when I still lived on the east coast, the Philly rock station had a "contest" to find the best rock song ever. They played two songs, and whichever one got the most call in votes won, and was played again against another song. Stairway must have been played a million times...great song, but I got a mite burned out on it.
Iíve seen for myself, thereís no end to grief, thatís how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
Ever seen Heart do Stairway at the Kennedy Centre Honours Show? Had Robert Plant in tears.

Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times