"New" old material?

• 41 Replies

This Dave

"New" old material?
« on: August 18, 2020, 02:08:59 AM »
How have I missed this?.....

I just came across the "Achtung Baby Kindergarten" collection on YouTube.  We've all heard the various outtakes from the AB sessions, but these are not from that set.  They are unfinished versions of the songs from AB, but much further along in the process than the bootleg outtakes from the 90's.

Have these been kicking around forever, or did they somehow more recently leak? For a minute, I thought that this was some sort of fan remix, but that is DEFINITELY Bono singing slightly (or in some cases, very) different versions of the songs we all know, and the band sounds legit as well. 

I've not listened to the entire thing yet, but wow. Love it.  Made the hair on my neck stand up in a couple of parts. A few things which I've noticed so far:

- Wild Horses starts "You're innocence...and experience...."
-UTEOTW has Bono pushing a higher register for the last verse. I really like it.
-So Cruel is almost identical instrumentally for about 3/4 of the song, but there is a "new" guitar part. The lyrics are recognizable sometimes, but often very different.
-EBTTRT has very different verses
-Mysterious Ways mentions "Fear of women" a few times, which I think was a possible title for Achtung Baby at one point.
-One may mostly be the same vocal track we know from the album. Instrumentals aren't all there yet. Acoustic guitar.

I write this realizing that some of you might be thinking "This is old news", but somehow I've never heard any of this.  Figured I should share with the board, because this is the most excited I've been about the band in a long time.  Sometimes I get so frustrated with them that I wonder if they were ever as good as I thought they were, but listening to this...wow. They were electric, alive, didn't sound like a giant compromise....

Kind of feels like hearing AB for the first time all over again.

This Dave

Re: "New" old material?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 02:20:47 AM »
Well...I might have missed something everyone else knew about.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
"New" old material?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 02:32:28 AM »
It was released in some boxes from the 20 years remaster of Achtung Baby in 2011.

So... yeah, old news. But good thing that you’re enjoying it !
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:20:08 PM by an tha »
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

The Edges Cat

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 04:46:28 AM »
God I miss this U2 so badly...

Wild Horses starts off sounding like The Cure. I love the album but I really dig this early version.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
"New" old material?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 06:38:33 AM »
It was released in some boxes from the 20 years remaster of Achtung Baby in 2011.

Yeah, they were on the Super Deluxe boxset and on the Uber boxset.

You often catch the « baby » versions » on the satellite station I noticed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:20:26 PM by an tha »
First Chair. Last Call.

riffraff

• I'll be up with the sun
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 06:50:01 AM »
I've stumbled across them on youtube, too...wonderful stuff!
what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

Pride

• Soul wind blow
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »
There are also some AB outtakes on YouTube. I don’t know if it was an official release or anything but here’s a link: http://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU62MFne4NxDOP8BUr_FbyHI_0vtYbJcp
Wake your reason's hollow vote, wear your blizzard season coat

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 11:31:40 AM »
Im a fan of the Baby version of AB. Arms around The World is a real fun alternative version
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »

-UTEOTW has Bono pushing a higher register for the last verse. I really like it.

Yeah the version of UTE on my AB playlist is a hybrid of the original version and this one. So the music is identical, but I use the vocal from the demo version (mainly because I like that Bono sings the final verse an octave higher).

BTW, some of those supposed early takes are just the album's vocals played over a new acoustic guitar part. TTTYA is one example, but there may be others.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Layton

"New" old material?
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 05:48:37 PM »

Yeah, seems like the 'baby' versions are kind of a regular on the station. I only listen about a half hour per week during some drives, but I've come across the baby versions of 'End of the World' and 'So Cruel', recently.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:18:03 PM by an tha »

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
"New" old material?
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 06:29:51 PM »

Yeah, seems like the 'baby' versions are kind of a regular on the station. I only listen about a half hour per week during some drives, but I've come across the baby versions of 'End of the World' and 'So Cruel', recently.

how did the thread title get so assed up in this quote?   :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:18:17 PM by an tha »
there are demons in the broad day light

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 06:31:16 PM »
Love the baby version of So Cruel and Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses.

Down All the Days is much better than Numb.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

This Dave

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 08:02:30 PM »
God I miss this U2 so badly...

Wild Horses starts off sounding like The Cure. I love the album but I really dig this early version.

They were magic. Lighting in a bottle.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 08:48:15 PM »
Sounds like 2010’s Bono singing, is this really an AB era recording?

The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 09:04:00 PM »
Sounds like 2010’s Bono singing, is this really an AB era recording?

Good ears from the Cat.  :)

A number of the bonus tracks are new to this recording, and are still in their original format, but some tracks have been updated and “finished” with the addition of new vocals and instrumentals. The booklet lists additional production and recording on the tracks by Declan Gaffney so they are easy to spot. “Blow Your House Down”, “Oh Berlin”, “Heaven and Hell”, and the baby version of “Tryin’ to Throw Your Arms Around the World” all have new recorded pieces added to the original tracks. Additionally Gaffney did some mixing work on the baby versions of “One” and “Love is Blindness” but neither list that new recording has been done for these tracks.
First Chair. Last Call.