'very-strong' evidence for negative relationship B/W intelligence & religiosity

• 37 Replies

restofit

Meta-analysis of 83 studies produces Ďvery-strongí evidence for negative relationship between intelligence and religiosity:

https://www.psypost.org/2019/11/meta-analysis-of-83-studies-produces-very-strong-evidence-for-a-negative-relationship-between-intelligence-and-religiosity-54897
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:05:25 AM by restofit »

restofit

Figure 1: Funnel plot of the 83 correlations between intelligence and religiosity:

"One possibility [is] that people use their religious beliefs [to obtain] self-enhancement, a sense of empowerment, and better self-regulation... extensive research evidence that more intelligent people already benefit from higher self-evaluation, a higher sense of control, and more efficient self-control. As such, more intelligent people have less of a need for religiosity"

"It is possible that more intelligent people are less religious because they are more rational, an inference that is consistent with the finding that the IRR was partially mediated by analytic style"

"Most of these studies were conducted in the West, primarily in the United States. Our findings, therefore, do not apply to Eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 01:49:10 AM by restofit »

restofit

I bet there is also a correlation between being poor and religious. I'll go out on a limb and say people who have the wealth to get educated and cultivate intelligence also have the mobility to form social-circles outside of the church, thus find less need or appeal for religion.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:28:06 AM by restofit »

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

So Cruel

Figure 1: Funnel plot of the 83 correlations between intelligence and religiosity:

"One possibility [is] that people use their religious beliefs [to obtain] self-enhancement, a sense of empowerment, and better self-regulation... extensive research evidence that more intelligent people already benefit from higher self-evaluation, a higher sense of control, and more efficient self-control. As such, more intelligent people have less of a need for religiosity"

"It is possible that more intelligent people are less religious because they are more rational, an inference that is consistent with the finding that the IRR was partially mediated by analytic style"

"Most of these studies were conducted in the West, primarily in the United States. Our findings, therefore, do not apply to Eastern religions such as Buddhism and Hinduism."

Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

So Cruel

I bet there is also a correlation between being poor and religious. I'll go out on a limb and say people who have the wealth to get education and cultivate intelligence also have the mobility to form social-circles outside of the church, thus find less need or appeal for religion.

WookieeWarrior

I bet there is also a correlation between being poor and religious. I'll go out on a limb and say people who have the wealth to get educated and cultivate intelligence also have the mobility to form social-circles outside of the church, thus find less need or appeal for religion.

This must be true. It's how Christianity initially spread: among impoverished Romans who otherwise had nothing to live for. It explains the prevalence of martyrdom in that society.

WookieeWarrior

Consider the kind of person who identifies him or herself as an atheist. This person must be from the middle or upper class to have ever been exposed to atheism, and this person must feel comfortable to describe themselves as such, requiring a particular personality type that values conscientiousness and individualism over group cohesion. This kind of person may be more intelligent than most, but until a greater diversity of people are willing to self-proclaim irreligiosity, the correlation seems a bit meaningless to me. Men and women with all sorts of character traits subscribe to religion; it's a mixture of intelligent and unintelligent people. As is, the statistic may be representative of somethingóthat a discerning individual who is comfortable with going against the grain is intelligentóbut I'm not convinced disbelief is per se a sign of intelligence.

Maybe I'm missing something, and I myself am proof that atheists aren't all smart.  :)

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
I wouldnít be surprised by the correlation. Many people find religion appealing because it gives answers. Once you get answers you donít need to search anymore. Hence youíre not training your brain to search for answers anymore.
I guess that could be true of people joining a political party.

IMO itís like racism or any kind of discrimination : people tend to generalize because itís easier. It requires much more effort to keep an open mind and try to know people before judging them.

I might add : being more intelligent doesnít mean being superior or happier. It just means you use your brain more, which can be a curse...
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

WookieeWarrior

I wouldnít be surprised by the correlation. Many people find religion appealing because it gives answers. Once you get answers you donít need to search anymore. Hence youíre not training your brain to search for answers anymore.

IMO itís like racism or any kind of discrimination : people tend to generalize because itís easier. It requires much more effort to keep an open mind and try to know people before judging them.

I might add : being more intelligent doesnít mean being superior or happier. It just means you use your brain more, which can be a curse...

Intelligence loses its thrill when you realize it's primarily the result of good genetics and a nurturing environment in early childhood. (I think it could partly be influenced personally, but if so, not much. I don't recall any sources backing that up in my brief study of psychology.)

It reminds of William H. Macy's character in Magnolia, whose effortless genius guided him to a game show appearance as a child. What then after discovering your intellect is only one massive aberration?

Besides, I've seen myself how even smart people can become roped into ignorant thought. I'm more impressed with conscientiousness and knowledge.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS

Intelligence loses its thrill when you realize it's primarily the result of good genetics and a nurturing environment in early childhood. (I think it could partly be influenced personally, but if so, not much. I don't recall any sources backing that up in my brief study of psychology.)

It reminds of William H. Macy's character in Magnolia, whose effortless genius guided him to a game show appearance as a child. What then after discovering your intellect is only one massive aberration?

Besides, I've seen myself how even smart people can become roped into ignorant thought. I'm more impressed with conscientiousness and knowledge.

Right. Thereís also a clear link between intelligence and high sensibility. Kurt Cobain comes to mind. The man was clearly smart and sharper than most songwriters. But he just couldnít cope with the absurdities of life.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
This doesn't prove that all religious people are dumb or that all atheists are intelligent, so be careful how you use or promote this data.

It is true that understanding evolution requires some intelligence, but there is no intellectual superiority to atheism just by fiat. If you don't let it guide you to make wiser decisions then all you're doing is being the smartest ass at the top of the class. All it will do for you is get you a wedgie.

-------

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
This doesn't prove that all religious people are dumb or that all atheists are intelligent, so be careful how you use or promote this data.

It is true that understanding evolution requires some intelligence, but there is no intellectual superiority to atheism just by fiat. If you don't let it guide you to make wiser decisions then all you're doing is being the smartest ass at the top of the class. All it will do for you is get you a wedgie.

Intelligence is just a tool. What you do with it...

John Galt

I reckon people who hedge their bets are smart.

riffraff

• Stolen days you donít give back
I believe in God. I am not stupid. Thank you very much.  :D
Iíve seen for myself, thereís no end to grief, thatís how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love