Pop meh

• 115 Replies

Very good

• I'm hanging on.....
Pop meh
« on: August 02, 2020, 11:50:55 PM »
I bought Pop from Newcastle Virgin megastore at midnight on day of release. I was one of 2. The disappointment of hearing it for the first time hasnít really altered in 23 years.

The opening of discotheque (which I quite liked as a single) had been altered to make it sound more Ďout thereí and included what almost sounded like a Bono burp before kicking off. Ouch. The accompanying video is up there with the most cringeworthy thing theyíve done. The BOOMCHA outro remains horrible.

Do you feel loved? - whereís the song? Second track in and thereís no soul, no nothing.

Mofo - pretty interesting sonically and great MTV performance but again, whereís the song? Mofo - motherfucker. Cool man.

If god will send his angels. 6th form poetry at best. If good will send his angels would everything be okay? Would it B? Great question....🙈.  Itís well documented that the album was unfinished but the outro is an absolute mess (as proven by the re-recorded single version).

Staring at the Sun - ace, Bs smoking reduced voice aside.

Last night on earth - no hook. The fact that this was a single proves how much they were scraping the barrel.

Gone - good little tune but again let down by Bs vocals.

Miami - oh letís experiment to show how out there we can be. Lyrically awful.

Playboy Mansion - liked it at first, hasnít aged well lyrically but an interesting listen at least.

Velvet Dress - Nice.

Please - well done, a thoroughly decent tune that stands up with this best.

Wake up dead man - please can we keep up with those oasis boys by having some swearing? Letís shout at god to really end the album on an emotional gravitas. Another song with no tune.

Iím not even sure thatís all the songs or at least the order but Pop is entrenched in my brain as a disappointment. I was as big a U2 fan as could be and loved Popmart (not on a zoo tv level mind) but the album still hits me with a massive wave of disappointment.

I started to get excited about the band again when Bono & Edge performed ground beneath her feet on TFI Friday. Beautiful day was okay as a comeback but when I heard walk on followed by Kite for the first time I had more emotional connection than anything off 3 years of listening to Pop.

Thereís a reason the band has pretty much disowned Pop. An unfinished album with awful lyrics, strained vocals, very few tunes and no identity.

laoghaire

Re: Pop meh
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 01:23:57 AM »
I like Kite.

kango

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 01:29:57 AM »

* Gets Popcorn *

Another Time, Another Forum

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 01:34:27 AM »
We're of course entitled to our opinions, so I won't argue on account of disparate opinions. My only question is as to what you mean by your recurring criticism of "where's the song". Do you just mean to say that those tracks are boring for lacking a big sing-song chorus?

Zoo adam

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 03:29:54 AM »
I like the fun Discoteque video.

Makes sense to have them in a disco. Acting like men in their 30's who are a bit old to still be clubbing. We have all been there!

Zoo adam

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 03:33:27 AM »
I bought Pop from Newcastle Virgin megastore at midnight on day of release. I was one of 2. The disappointment of hearing it for the first time hasnít really altered in 23 years.

The opening of discotheque (which I quite liked as a single) had been altered to make it sound more Ďout thereí and included what almost sounded like a Bono burp before kicking off. Ouch. The accompanying video is up there with the most cringeworthy thing theyíve done. The BOOMCHA outro remains horrible.

Do you feel loved? - whereís the song? Second track in and thereís no soul, no nothing.

Mofo - pretty interesting sonically and great MTV performance but again, whereís the song? Mofo - motherfucker. Cool man.

If god will send his angels. 6th form poetry at best. If good will send his angels would everything be okay? Would it B? Great question....🙈.  Itís well documented that the album was unfinished but the outro is an absolute mess (as proven by the re-recorded single version).

Last night on earth - no hook. The fact that this was a single proves how much they were scraping the barrel.

Playboy Mansion - liked it at first, hasnít aged well lyrically but an interesting listen at least.

Velvet Dress - Nice.

Wake up dead man - please can we keep up with those oasis boys by having some swearing? Letís shout at god to really end the album on an emotional gravitas. Another song with no tune.

Iím not even sure thatís all the songs or at least the order but Pop is entrenched in my brain as a disappointment. I was as big a U2 fan as could be and loved Popmart (not on a zoo tv level mind) but the album still hits me with a massive wave of disappointment.

I started to get excited about the band again when Bono & Edge performed ground beneath her feet on TFI Friday. Beautiful day was okay as a comeback but when I heard walk on followed by Kite for the first time I had more emotional connection than anything off 3 years of listening to Pop.

Thereís a reason the band has pretty much disowned Pop. An unfinished album with awful lyrics, strained vocals, very few tunes and no identity.

1 of 2. Had the store opened espescially for the release of Pop?.

I know stores opened at 1 minute past midnight for TJT & R & H & there were apparently big crowds.  But this was 10 years on & those days had gone.

Zoo adam

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 03:38:57 AM »
Said before that Pop feels unfinished. Which the band said it was.

My Pop track listing for the 93-97 period -

United Colours
Discoteque
DYFL
Mofo
Slug
SATS
LNOE
Your Blue Room
Gone
Miss Sarajevo
HMTMKMKE
Goldeneye (I know, but I like it).

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 04:22:53 AM »
I like Kite.

As far as 00's u2 goes i prefer Stateless....but Kite is OK.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 06:31:39 AM »

Velvet Dress - Nice.

It appears that we shared the same initial experience with the release of Pop. From the purchase at midnight, up to hearing TGBHF for the first time.

However, Iíve given the album a second chance since, and it has found a place in the middle-tier for me. It is indeed an unfinished mess, but thereís a few gems on it.
First Chair. Last Call.

riffraff

• I'll be up with the sun
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 06:32:05 AM »
I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy Pop.
what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 06:43:13 AM »
This is a bold post.  Respect.
There's a bible verse,
says the last one shall be first.
Well, if that verse is true,
there's hope for me and you.
-Kevin Kerby

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 06:48:04 AM »

* Gets Popcorn *

hehe POPcorn
There's a bible verse,
says the last one shall be first.
Well, if that verse is true,
there's hope for me and you.
-Kevin Kerby

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 10:16:11 AM »
I feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy Pop.

You know you're chewing bubblegum
You know what that is
But you still want some
You just can't get enough
Of that lovie dovie stuff

i have an occasional dream, hard to describe but sort of reminiscent to the movie ghostbusters, the part near the end when the lads had to chose what was going to destroy them and they ended up being chased by a giant marshmallow man

so in my dream; when we leave this earth, if we are good we get to go to someplace we often fantasized about, perhaps our version of paradise, and if we were bad persons then we have to go to someplace we've often feared

i get to visit this place every so often, and on occasion im at home on my island but in the outs of the village there is...popmart

everyone is enjoying it immensely...giant stage and bright lights in the middle of an otherwise tropical paradise...it doesn't light up all the time but when it does, oh boy!

but the thing is, as magical as it is for most of us, there are always a couple of people standing in the back who are not enjoying the show

these people seem very afraid of the spectacle, afraid to lose themselves in the show, the sounds, those raw lyrics perfectly delivered for such a heavy album being played in the stars

im guessing those people were the bad people, they are afraid of the spaceships, drag queens, and giant lemons

perhaps someone should have told them when life give you lemons you have several choices; you can be a sourpuss, you can make lemonade, or you can turn life into a 40ft giant mirrorball

there are demons in the broad day light

Neil Young

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 10:47:48 AM »
I felt the same way. Compared to AB, ZooTV, Zooropa...it just felt bleak. I do think it has aged pretty well though. And when I saw Popmart they had worked out the kinks, it was a really good show that rectified some of the songs somewhat: Velvet Dress, Gone, Please, Wake Up...excellent.

Acrobat

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »
Meh. Clickbait.

LOL
What are we going to do now it's all been said.
No new ideas in the house and every book has been read.