When did One become... The 'ONE'

• 50 Replies

kango

When did One become... The 'ONE'
« on: August 01, 2020, 02:18:11 PM »
What I mean is can you pinpoint when One moved from 'a highlight from that recent album' status to 'classic, hymn sheet status' in the eyes of music press / public and used to soundtrack all kinds of things.

Because regrettably I was too young to know the band in the 90's and was only getting into them as One was approaching its 10th birthday. Even then, it felt like it hadn't reached the summit. Or did I misread it and it was already regarded as a classic by the time Pop came about?
Another Time, Another Forum

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
Re: When did One become... The 'ONE'
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 03:08:41 PM »
What I mean is can you pinpoint when One moved from 'a highlight from that recent album' status to 'classic, hymn sheet status' in the eyes of music press / public and used to soundtrack all kinds of things.

Because regrettably I was too young to know the band in the 90's and was only getting into them as One was approaching its 10th birthday. Even then, it felt like it hadn't reached the summit. Or did I misread it and it was already regarded as a classic by the time Pop came about?

Yeah, its slot in the ZooTV set sort of showed that the band didn't yet consider it as a standout classic. I think B&E's performance of One with Eno in '95 showed that they were beginning to consider the song pretty special. And then its move to the encore section of the PopMart set sort of cemented its status IMO.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 03:25:07 PM by The Exile »
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

John Galt

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 04:29:54 PM »

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »
IIRC, One was received with rave reviews upon release and was a major hit on many radio formats. Universal appeal, instant classic. But maybe Iím biased.  ;)
First Chair. Last Call.

laoghaire

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 05:47:25 PM »

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 07:18:52 PM »
IIRC in America, AB was not acclaimed with The Fly and EBTTRT like it was in the UK, so One was the song that made the record soar in America. For me, the song was never as special as for some, but I do remember being at the RDS in the rain in 93, and hearing the crowd react to it like it was already a classic
-------

laoghaire

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 07:55:14 PM »
My recollection in the US in 1992 is that One was The Big One from the album, though Mysterious Ways and EBTTRT got heavy radio and MTV play as well. I don't recall The Fly being picked up much beyond the lead single period.

My recollection is that One got a lot of positive attention from various people who would not typically be U2 fans. I wish I could recall more names because it was multiple, but Axl Rose is the one I can name. It wasn't just "cool song bro" but "THIS SONG CHANGED MY LIFE." (Debatable in Axl's case, but the sentiment is still significant).

I think One was probably played at a lot of Proms and other dances that year. I lived on campus and it was common to hear it playing from speakers. The video was also pretty big.

The song was mentioned in magazines, on TV, etc.

At Giants Stadium, people were screaming when they started playing it.

Yeah, I think it was considered basically an instant classic. 

Biggest U2 song of the 80s: WOWY
Biggest U2 song of the 90s: One
Biggest U2 song of the 00s: Beautiful Day
Biggest U2 song of the 10s: <cough>

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »
I love 90's u2 as is well documented and i love AB, but for me (and i realise this may be an upopular opinion) i just have never felt One is all that special....

It's a good song, but for me it has never had the status of being 'incredible' etc...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 08:56:32 PM by an tha »

MPare1966

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:20:16 PM »
I love 90's u2 as is well documented and i love AB, but for me (and i realise this may be an upopular opinion) i just have never felt One is all that special....

It's a good song, but for me it has never had the status of being 'incredible' etc...

The appeal is universal, thatís the key here.
First Chair. Last Call.

laoghaire

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 11:02:56 PM »
I think One is worthy of its acclaim.

I think the songs with lyrics about Bono's father are among his best, because there's a lot of pain there. And that resonates pretty universally - not the father part necessarily, but certainly the pain.

riffraff

• Stolen days you donít give back
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 06:50:02 AM »
I think One is worthy of its acclaim.

I think the songs with lyrics about Bono's father are among his best, because there's a lot of pain there. And that resonates pretty universally - not the father part necessarily, but certainly the pain.
This. And, I think many can relate...in one way or another.
Iíve seen for myself, thereís no end to grief, thatís how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 10:18:00 AM »
My recollection in the US in 1992 is that One was The Big One from the album, though Mysterious Ways and EBTTRT got heavy radio and MTV play as well. I don't recall The Fly being picked up much beyond the lead single period.

My recollection is that One got a lot of positive attention from various people who would not typically be U2 fans. I wish I could recall more names because it was multiple, but Axl Rose is the one I can name. It wasn't just "cool song bro" but "THIS SONG CHANGED MY LIFE." (Debatable in Axl's case, but the sentiment is still significant).

I think One was probably played at a lot of Proms and other dances that year. I lived on campus and it was common to hear it playing from speakers. The video was also pretty big.

The song was mentioned in magazines, on TV, etc.

At Giants Stadium, people were screaming when they started playing it.

Yeah, I think it was considered basically an instant classic. 

Biggest U2 song of the 80s: WOWY
Biggest U2 song of the 90s: One
Biggest U2 song of the 00s: Beautiful Day
Biggest U2 song of the 10s: <cough>

i haven't heard of <cough>

is that some sort of acronym?
white dopes on punk ~ staring into the flash `*+'"

laoghaire

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 10:40:41 AM »
No, it's basically just filling a blank space. Kind of like crickets.

Seriously, EBW is the only thing that moved the needle - to, like, a 1.

MPare1966

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »
No, it's basically just filling a blank space. Kind of like crickets.

Seriously, EBW is the only thing that moved the needle - to, like, a 1.

The past decade is very thin in terms of songs that had any impact.

For me, only Little Things is a contender, but it remains a song that only U2 fans know about.

Far from being in the same league as the others you listed.
First Chair. Last Call.

laoghaire

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
I actually think there are some quality songs here. But none have made any sort impact whatsoever.

I do get the idea EBW made a teeeeeeeeeeeny tiny showing. And everything else, not even that.

Gotta say, there's 3 decades where U2 can claim a big splash. (Not a full 30 years of course, but within three decades).