Live Nation are in serious debt.

• 35 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Live Nation are in serious debt.
« on: July 30, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »
Live Nation are in serious debt and of course the state of the industry most of their revenue comes from is grim...

So what does this potentially mean for u2?

Will LN find a way to milk the u2 cow with a load of re-issues etc (can they, do they have the ability to)?

Will they maybe push u2 as one of their biggest cash cows to get out and play socially distanced gigs at mega bucks to claw some cash in?

Will they end their contract/wave u2 goodbye?

Any other possible outcomes you can see?....

Maybe a new model comes out of all this and LN and ticketbastard go bust and a new better for the consumer with fairer prices system is birthed?

laoghaire

Re: Live Nation are in serious debt.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 01:05:48 PM »
This is bad news. I couldn't give less of a shit about LN but Bono will want to help them out (as with Island). But whereas helping Island out was okay, helping LN out is bad. Very bad for the legacy of U2.

Bono, don't do it, man. If rhey go under, you'll be free.

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 01:09:39 PM »
Who cares? I feel sorry for the employees, obviously, but couldnít give a shit how it impacts U2. In fact, putting a spanner in the works might be EXACTLY what u2 need right now.

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
there are demons in the broad day light

an tha

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 01:48:26 PM »
Those people 'queued' up for 6 days to get on that cow and nobody else was getting in front of them.

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 01:52:31 PM »

Will LN find a way to milk the u2 cow with a load of re-issues etc (can they, do they have the ability to)?

https://www.u2songs.com/news/rumour_u2_to_release_atyclb_box_this_fall
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 02:03:43 PM »
I think a feasible outcome will be to muddle through to 2021, possibly declaring a chapter 11 bankruptcy but not closing their doors, and people will be so revved up for live music that 2022 will be a massive concert year. A new U2 album in 2021 and tour in 2022 would attract 5 million people. People are going to want to cut their shackles free, and why not a mega-concert in the post social distancing era.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 02:16:41 PM »
Did U2 ever actually sign a 360 deal with Live Nation? Because I was under the impression - based on the reporting at the time of the initial announcement - that the agreement only covered U2's touring, and didn't give LN any percentage of U2's recordings or merch money. I know Jay-Z and Madonna did each sign a 360 agreement, and LN's been paying out the ass for both of those.

On topic: fuck 'em, let LN collapse. There's other promoters who can step in and do that job.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:25:30 PM by an tha »

an tha

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 02:17:07 PM »

https://www.u2songs.com/news/rumour_u2_to_release_atyclb_box_this_fall

That will earn them exactly £0 from my coffers!

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »
I think a feasible outcome will be to muddle through to 2021, possibly declaring a chapter 11 bankruptcy but not closing their doors, and people will be so revved up for live music that 2022 will be a massive concert year. A new U2 album in 2021 and tour in 2022 would attract 5 million people. People are going to want to cut their shackles free, and why not a mega-concert in the post social distancing era.

I'll tell you why, in a rare moment of seriousness. My hope was that C19 would reset global capitalism because the next extinction event to happen will happen to the human race which is climate change. C19 won't kill us all; it's easily defeated with a little investment and common sense. People who live in western society behave like a bunch of spoilt brats. C19 took their toys away and now they want to have them back. The LAST thing the world needs right now is bands flying all over the fucking planet, virtue signalling yet simultaneously being part of the problem they lecture everyone else about. I welcome anything that reverses runaway capitalism and globalisation and that includes going to gigs, if that's the sacrifice that needs to be made. Economies need to be localised; if that involves U2 fans not being able to see U2 anymore then tough shit. Your children will thank you for it.

Willy

What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

an tha

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »
Did U2 ever actually sign a 360 deal with Live Nation? Because I was under the impression - based on the reporting at the time of the initial announcement - that the agreement only covered U2's touring, and didn't give LN any percentage of U2's recordings or merch money. I know Jay-Z and Madonna did each sign a 360 agreement, and LN's been paying out the ass for both of those.

On topic: fuck 'em, let LN collapse. There's other promoters who can step in and do that job.

Had to check.

No publishing component.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1046023/u2-signs-12-year-deal-with-live-nation

John Galt

• He's Going to Dream Out Loud!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »
These kind of discussions reminds me of a couple of dozy Mancs on the dole sitting in a pub talking about the latest signing for Man City.  One brings up the player's new five year, £160,000 per week contract and the other replies:  "Yeah, that's good business that is." ;D
"I am awake"

- Walter White

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »
So about LiveNation, itís no surprise they are struggling.

As it happens, my daughter works for an affiliate of LN in Canada (evenko) and times are hard. 90% of the staff have been sent home, many probably never coming back.

My daughter still has her job because she handles a good portion of their various social media accounts. Itís the only way they have remaining in order to engage with their customers, in regards to the many festivals they organize.

They are slowly booking shows for automn and hoping that by spring 2021, they can be back to some normality.

Hard times for the entertainment business.
First Chair. Last Call.

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 03:21:20 PM »
And I really do not understand the hate for LN in general.  I get the hate for Ticketbastard but even with them there are positives to be called out.

Seems there are many who want to blame either LN or Guy O for many of the bad decisions which rightfully should be owned by 4 people alone.

laoghaire

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »
I hate LN for exemplifying bloated, out of control greed.

I blame U2 for U2's missteps.