U2 in a Ops Management Textbook

• 18 Replies

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
U2 in a Ops Management Textbook
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:34:09 PM »
I'm taking a graduate class in operations management (thanks to my employer for paying), and lo and behold look what I came across in the textbook! U2 in a textbook! So PUNK academic.

Screenshot below
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

WookieeWarrior

Re: U2 in a Ops Management Textbook
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 10:40:21 PM »
I think they might be interested in reading the next section: "Deciding If and When a Project Should Be Terminated".

Aviastar

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:43:35 PM »
Yeah I just noticed that. Eesh.
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:20:17 AM »
Not sure what the point is. Are they trying to say the tour was too big and needed to be cancelled? It was a huge success, so I'm not sure sure what they're trying to get at.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:32:35 AM »
Not sure what the point is. Are they trying to say the tour was too big and needed to be cancelled? It was a huge success, so I'm not sure sure what they're trying to get at.

Although in fairness 270 was indeed too big as that awful claw thing did the opposite of making the gigs feel inclusive of the audience...

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

John Galt

• He's Going to Dream Out Loud!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:42:01 AM »

Although in fairness 270 was indeed too big as that awful claw thing did the opposite of making the gigs feel inclusive of the audience...

Willy

Adele had a more 'intimate' stage set up when she played Wembley Stadium in 2017, but it wasn't as BIG as the Claw and as you know size matters to U2.

"I am awake"

- Walter White

Codeguy

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:53:30 AM »

Willy

I meant commercial success. I think we all know it was not an artistic success in the same way that ZooTV/POPMart were.
--------

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 12:10:40 PM »

Willy

I meant commercial success. I think we all know it was not an artistic success in the same way that ZooTV/POPMart were.

Please refrain from making sweeping claims without backing them up with evidence.

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

John Galt

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 12:23:12 PM »

Willy

Please refrain from making sweeping claims without backing them up with evidence.

Willy

How else do you judge success other than by size?  360 was U2's biggest tour.  Just ask wons, he'll tell you all about it.

"I am awake"

- Walter White

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »

Willy

Willy

How else do you judge success other than by size?  360 was U2's biggest tour.  Just ask wons, he'll tell you all about it.

Iím watching some grass grow at the moment. When Iíve finished Iíll think about asking him.

Codeguy

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 06:29:04 PM »

Willy

Willy

There's no doubt the band saw it that way.

I would say they have decided 2oo TV is a done deal because it will lift them over the Rolling Stones as the most watched act in music history. I know they watch this stuff.
--------

John Galt

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 06:31:33 PM »

Willy

Willy

There's no doubt the band saw it that way.

I would say they have decided 2oo TV is a done deal because it will lift them over the Rolling Stones as the most watched act in music history. I know they watch this stuff.

Clearly you and wons do too.  Soul mates.

"I am awake"

- Walter White

Aviastar

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 06:34:44 PM »

THe picture and caption was tying to a section on scheduling and project management. The point to get across is that a massive project of that scale requires intensive scheduling and demanding project management and operational resources. The fact that the "project termination" follows is merely happenstance - the photo/caption appear towards the end of the section, and the end of the section relates to project termination/wind-down.

And in fact it fits. 360 was succesful - though not as profitable as you might think. But there is no way it can go on forever. Every project reaches a point at which it costs less to wind it down and terminate. This is a critical point in any project / tour / business  / what have you. The point at which the resources can be redirected to a more profitable project. You identify the point at which a venture no longer produces the economic benefit to sustain the cost, and you terminate.

You always see the big revenue numbers for 360. But you NEVER see a profit margin, gross margin, or even net income figure. That's a pretty good indicator when they use top-line numbers for boasting about success rather than bottom-line numbers.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 06:36:58 PM by Aviastar »

John Galt

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 06:59:31 PM »

THe picture and caption was tying to a section on scheduling and project management. The point to get across is that a massive project of that scale requires intensive scheduling and demanding project management and operational resources. The fact that the "project termination" follows is merely happenstance - the photo/caption appear towards the end of the section, and the end of the section relates to project termination/wind-down.

And in fact it fits. 360 was succesful - though not as profitable as you might think. But there is no way it can go on forever. Every project reaches a point at which it costs less to wind it down and terminate. This is a critical point in any project / tour / business  / what have you. The point at which the resources can be redirected to a more profitable project. You identify the point at which a venture no longer produces the economic benefit to sustain the cost, and you terminate.

You always see the big revenue numbers for 360. But you NEVER see a profit margin, gross margin, or even net income figure. That's a pretty good indicator when they use top-line numbers for boasting about success rather than bottom-line numbers.

And what's more you never will.  That's a good indicator they're telling you to mind your own fucking business.

I reckon U2 made a massive profit from the 360 tour, over £100 Million at a minimum and probably a lot more.
"I am awake"

- Walter White

Codeguy

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 10:08:29 PM »

Thatís true of all tours - tour success is measured externally by the industry by gross revenue and every tour by every artist is measured that way. There are too many variables to measure profit - for example if the band lost money on a prior tour they can add that as a cost to the current tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------