How should U2 approach touring in future given the state of Bono's voice?

• 111 Replies

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
There has been much talk around the state of Bono’s voice, here on the forum. The footage I have seen from the last couple of tours has seen him massacring many of their older songs. What, in your view, should U2 do about this?
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
If they feel they want to or need to carry on, or are contractually obligated to then for me it is simple....

Play to your strengths and present songs that the singer can sing/present them in a way that best utilises the singers strengths/abilities.

It's a bit like an old footballer, as he gets older he loses a yard of pace so he modifies way he plays/the manager uses him a bit differently.

An old fighter modifies his style and so on...

As far as the poll goes - well there was only one obvious selection that everybody should make!
©️1972

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
If they feel they want to or need to carry on, or are contractually obligated to then for me it is simple....

Play to your strengths and present songs that the singer can sing/present them in a way that best utilises the singers strengths/abilities.

It's a bit like an old footballer, as he gets older he loses a yard of pace so he modifies way he plays/the manager uses him a bit differently.

As far as the poll goes - well there was only one obvious selection that everybody should make!

I refrained from doing that.  :P

Seriously, option 3 would suit me fine at this time in their career.
First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

Big_Willy_Wonka

I agree.

I was listening to the Little Things That Give You Away the other day and thinking he can still sing in a really soulful way, if he quit trying so hard!

There is no reason why they can't reimagine some of the older songs, too.

Problem is, I guarantee they are tied into touring contractually. The bigger problem with that being to fill stadiums and arenas, they need to play the crowd pleasers. So, although I would prefer C), and would recommend E) before any decision is made, I think A) is the more likely outcome.

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Big_Willy_Wonka

I refrained from doing that.  :P

Seriously, option 3 would suit me fine at this time in their career.

You'll regret it!

::) ;D ::)

Smee

• Howdy
I voted for sticking to New songs and the few oldies he can still do justice.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Big_Willy_Wonka

I voted for sticking to New songs and the few oldies he can still do justice.

I think the oldies he can still belt out are few and far between. I’d like to hear more low key older tunes played like ‘your blue room’. Although I realise this is a niche song.

Willy

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:14:03 AM by Big_Willy_Wonka »

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
I'm very curious as to how Bono does *sincerely* rate the last few tours, reagrding his singing... I mean, we all have our opinion about what's been a success or not, but is he conscious other than when he actually struggles to hit the right notes ? The long speeches, the occasional screaming, the changes in melody that don't serve the songs... how does he stand on that ? Necessary evil or genius ?
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Loyal Deserter

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
I don't think he sounds that bad.  Had a great time at JT30.  He did well doing Bad and Streets and other old warhorses.  For now, keep touring, keep playing new songs, and keep playing old ones.

THRILLHO

#2 is the choice for me.

Big_Willy_Wonka

I'm very curious as to how Bono does *sincerely* rate the last few tours, reagrding his singing... I mean, we all have our opinion about what's been a success or not, but is he conscious other than when he actually struggles to hit the right notes ? The long speeches, the occasional screaming, the changes in melody that don't serve the songs... how does he stand on that ? Necessary evil or genius ?

I would imagine U2 are largely unconcerned. They make so much money from these tours, and the state of his voice is so glaringly obvious, they no doubt see it as necessary evil. As previously discussed, they are tied into lucrative contracts and probably HAVE to play the songs he can't sing to sell tickets for future tours. I would be happy to listen to Passengers played in its entirety but I guarantee 95% of a U2 audience want to hear WOWY etc.

Willy

Big_Willy_Wonka

I don't think he sounds that bad.  Had a great time at JT30.  He did well doing Bad and Streets and other old warhorses.  For now, keep touring, keep playing new songs, and keep playing old ones.

I am not sure that is a view shared by many on this forum. Although the poll will resolve that for us.

Willy

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS

I would imagine U2 are largely unconcerned. They make so much money from these tours, and the state of his voice is so glaringly obvious, they no doubt see it as necessary evil. As previously discussed, they are tied into lucrative contracts and probably HAVE to play the songs he can't sing to sell tickets for future tours. I would be happy to listen to Passengers played in its entirety but I guarantee 95% of a U2 audience want to hear WOWY etc.

Willy

There was a time when Bono was very protective of his singing. I remember him cringing when he played "War", thinking he should rerecord the whole sing. On the other hand, he's a fan of Lou Reed and Bob Dylan, guys who used to speak more than they sung...

Big_Willy_Wonka

Willy

There was a time when Bono was very protective of his singing. I remember him cringing when he played "War", thinking he should rerecord the whole sing. On the other hand, he's a fan of Lou Reed and Bob Dylan, guys who used to speak more than they sung...

There was a time when bono and U2 were a lot of things, most of them positive. I'm sure he was very protective of his artistry when they were still young and hungry. Sadly I feel their priorities lie elsewhere these days, which is why I went for the necessary evil option. Really, his choices are simple:

A - my voice sounds like shit so I'll give up. Or at least reimagine.

B - I know the above but we're raking it in so who cares.

Willy

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Bono doesn't sound like his former self (but then again, who does ?) but he's far from sounding like shit.

He's been sounding... tired, I'd say, on the last tour. As if it took him more effort than ever to deliver.