• 14 Replies

JTBaby

10 more years, 10 more songs, in 10 more days - 1984
« on: July 19, 2020, 11:55:55 AM »
Easy

album - TUF
Song - ASOH

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
ďAlbums still matter,Ē he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. ďLike books and black lives"

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Re: 10 more years, 10 more songs, in 10 more days - 1984
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »
Album: Ocean Rain - Echo and The Bunnymen.

Song: Relax - Frankie Goes to Hollywood

riffraff

• I'll be up with the sun
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 12:04:02 PM »
The Unforgettable Fire album, and I can't pick a favorite song today...:

2nd place: Born In The USA, Springsteen
what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 01:35:05 PM »
I don't know what this year in music was like outside the States, but here, this was the greatest year in my lifetime as far as the mainstream went. So much good music made (or just barely missed) the Top 40 albums and singles charts that it's not funny. You can consider every one of these songs I'm going to list right now as tied at #1 with the one song I'm actually going to post.

"The Beautiful Ones" - Prince
"Afterimage" - Rush
"What's Love Got To Do With It" - Tina Turner
"Ocean Rain" - Echo & the Bunnymen
"Fade To Black" - Metallica
"Take Hold Of The Flame" - Queensryche
"This Charming Man" - The Smiths
"Couldn't Stand The Weather" - Stevie Ray Vaughan
"We Rock" - Dio
"Two Minutes To Midnight" - Iron Maiden
"Hard Times" - Run-DMC
"Into The Fire" - Dokken

I know I'm forgetting a ton of equally worthy songs, but fuck it - here's that one: "Waterfront" by Simple Minds

Best album? I'm just gonna say Grace Under Pressure by Rush and be done with this entry, but yet again, I could list at least half a dozen albums that equaled it. I'm just not going to.

riffraff

• I'll be up with the sun
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 01:36:11 PM »
Couldn't Stand The Weather - GREAT choice!
what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 01:39:07 PM »
Couldn't Stand The Weather - GREAT choice!

I saw him on that tour. Took my lil' sis to see him for her 17th birthday, after getting us tickets for Iron Maiden that morning. He was unfuckingbelievable that night.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »
I love TUF, no doubt.

But Prince surpassed it with Purple Rain.

Tough call between When Doves Cry and Purple Rain, though.

Weíll call it a tie.

First Chair. Last Call.

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 02:40:33 PM »
Of course, 1984 was the year that U2 completely kicked everybody's ass with the greatest album of all time. 8)

It was also the year of the utterly ridiculous with Spinal Tap, Band Aid and Spandau Ballet dominating despite seminal albums by U2, Bruce Springsteen and Talking Heads.

For me, the year is best defined by it's absurdity, so here is my list of the most absurd moments from the most absurd year in music history.

10. This is Spinal Tap - Hilarious and a great comment on where music was at the time
9. The honeydrippers - Put the front half of Led Zeppelin back together with Jeff Beck and you're bound to get a great album, right? Five tracks is all they could muster, and they totally sucked
8. The debut of Now that's what I call Music Christ on a bike this was awful
7. Michael Jackson released the follow up to the Thriller Album. Nobody noticed, and to this day people think "BAD" was his next album. It wasn't. His next album was 1984's totally ignored "farewell my summer love"
6. A band called Frankie Goes to Hollywood had the second biggest hit song of the year. It was about premature ejaculation. People wore T-shirts. Frankie says relax.
5. Leonard Cohen released the song "Hallelujah." NOBODY.FUCKING.NOTICED!
4. The drummer of a mostly unknown band called Def Leppard lost his arm in a car accident and insisted on becoming the worlds first one-armed drummer. Amazingly, it worked and they went on to become huge.
3. Michael Jackson is forced to issue a public apology because his Thriller video looked a little too ghoul-like
2. Ronald Reagan, not realizing that the song "Born in the USA" is not supposed to be patriotic, uses it in his re-election campaign
1. A bunch of rock stars get cajoled against their will by a scruffy second rate punk icon into recording Do they know it's Christmas. The song is so popular that nobody even notices the ridiculous lyrics (There won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time? There wasn't any snow in London either)

For me, 1984 was the year 80's excess reached its peak, and music reached a low point.   
--------
< - This man does not exist.

John Galt

• He's Going to Dream Out Loud!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 02:43:59 PM »
That's Livin' Alright - Joe Fagin

"I am awake"

- Walter White

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »
That's Livin' Alright - Joe Fagin

Working on the site, From morning 'til night.......great, great show.

Pride

• Soul wind blow
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 05:17:55 PM »

Wake your reason's hollow vote, wear your blizzard season coat

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 05:24:45 PM »
First Chair. Last Call.

Pride

• Soul wind blow
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »

Obviously.  ;)

Easiest choice so far!

Honorable mention goes to Red Lenses by Rush.
Wake your reason's hollow vote, wear your blizzard season coat

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 06:45:53 PM »
Of course, 1984 was the year that U2 completely kicked everybody's ass with the greatest album of all time. 8)

It was also the year of the utterly ridiculous with Spinal Tap, Band Aid and Spandau Ballet dominating despite seminal albums by U2, Bruce Springsteen and Talking Heads.

For me, the year is best defined by it's absurdity, so here is my list of the most absurd moments from the most absurd year in music history.

10. This is Spinal Tap - Hilarious and a great comment on where music was at the time
9. The honeydrippers - Put the front half of Led Zeppelin back together with Jeff Beck and you're bound to get a great album, right? Five tracks is all they could muster, and they totally sucked
8. The debut of Now that's what I call Music Christ on a bike this was awful
7. Michael Jackson released the follow up to the Thriller Album. Nobody noticed, and to this day people think "BAD" was his next album. It wasn't. His next album was 1984's totally ignored "farewell my summer love"
6. A band called Frankie Goes to Hollywood had the second biggest hit song of the year. It was about premature ejaculation. People wore T-shirts. Frankie says relax.
5. Leonard Cohen released the song "Hallelujah." NOBODY.FUCKING.NOTICED!
4. The drummer of a mostly unknown band called Def Leppard lost his arm in a car accident and insisted on becoming the worlds first one-armed drummer. Amazingly, it worked and they went on to become huge.
3. Michael Jackson is forced to issue a public apology because his Thriller video looked a little too ghoul-like
2. Ronald Reagan, not realizing that the song "Born in the USA" is not supposed to be patriotic, uses it in his re-election campaign
1. A bunch of rock stars get cajoled against their will by a scruffy second rate punk icon into recording Do they know it's Christmas. The song is so popular that nobody even notices the ridiculous lyrics (There won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time? There wasn't any snow in London either)

For me, 1984 was the year 80's excess reached its peak, and music reached a low point.

Mostly unknown band? Pyromania released the year before went Diamond (10 million+ copies sold in the U.S) and was only held out of the number 1 billboard album spot by Michael Jacksonís Thriller. They had
1 top 40 billboard songs, 2 top 20 billboard songs, and 2 number 1 billboard modern rock song songs. They, along with Van Halen, were the biggest hard rock band in the world at that point. And more importantly it was the first album this young lad ever bought himself with his allowance.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2020, 06:59:00 PM »
One of the best years in music history.

Album: Born in the USA - Bruce

Runner ups:

The Unforgettable Fire - U2
Powerslave - Iron Maiden
1984 - Van Halen
Purple Rain - Prince

Song: Bad - U2

Runner Ups:

The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
Born in the USA - Bruce
Aces High - Iron Maiden
Panama - Van Halen
Purple Rain - Prince
Rock You Like A Hurricane - Scorpions
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times