Does anyone remember this duet with Bono?

• 33 Replies

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
Does anyone remember this duet with Bono?
« on: July 16, 2020, 08:09:25 AM »
Itís a bit cheesy but I absolutely love this duet between Clannad and Bono. Just listen to his vocal - itís astonishing how good his voice used to be. It really is a shame whatís happened to U2. I only say that because I dearly loved them growing up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty2V7yRPbCc

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Re: Does anyone remember this duet with Bono?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 08:45:55 AM »
One of the reasons I fell in love with the band. Bono's voice was at his maximum potential, there. Beautiful and powerful. He just comes out for a few lines and delivers all. I imagine the faces in the studio when he started singing... like, wow.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 08:54:57 AM »
One of the reasons I fell in love with the band. Bono's voice was at his maximum potential, there. Beautiful and powerful. He just comes out for a few lines and delivers all. I imagine the faces in the studio when he started singing... like, wow.

I agree.

He could really belt a vocal out when the song demanded it. Is it any coincidence this song was released at a particularly fertile time for the band via Eno/Lanois/Brook? I think not.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »

I agree.

He could really belt a vocal out when the song demanded it. Is it any coincidence this song was released at a particularly fertile time for the band via Eno/Lanois/Brook? I think not.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

Ha ha ! See what you're doing ? You have your theory and you just try to link everything to it. It's the other way around, dude. You should take the facts and build your theory out of them, not the other way around.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 09:25:08 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

Ha ha ! See what you're doing ? You have your theory and you just try to link everything to it. It's the other way around, dude. You should take the facts and build your theory out of them, not the other way around.

I disagree.

Brook was heavily involved with the band at this time. And while I concede he had nothing to do with the Clannad song, neither did Adam, edge or the drummer.

Willy

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 09:30:22 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Brook was heavily involved with the band at this time. And while I concede he had nothing to do with the Clannad song, neither did Adam, edge or the drummer.

Willy

Where's the evidence of that ? It's just your theory, right there.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

When did the stylistic transition happen via Eno/Lanois/Brook? Thatís right, 84/85. When was the Joshua Tree released featuring WOWY? Thatís right, 1987. When was the Clannad song released? Thatís right, 1986.

Therefore it seems reasonable to suggest that period was a particularly fertile one via Eno/Lanois/Brook.

Christ on a bike.

Willy

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 09:58:45 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

When did the stylistic transition happen via Eno/Lanois/Brook? Thatís right, 84/85.

You still need to provide evidence for Brook being involved with the band at that time. It's your theory, right there.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 10:03:38 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

When did the stylistic transition happen via Eno/Lanois/Brook? Thatís right, 84/85.

You still need to provide evidence for Brook being involved with the band at that time. It's your theory, right there.

Well first of all one must LISTEN to the music. The music is, primarily, where the evidence is. However one can also look to documentary evidence via, for example, the interview with Brook I posted. One can look at the timeline and how U2's sonic aesthetic changed. One can look at Lanois friendship with Brook. One can look at Edges soundtrack work with Brook. But most of all one must LISTEN to the music!

From the interview:

'In short, it produces an infinite sustainable tone and allows the user an enormous degree of flexibility when the instrument is utilised in conjunction with electronic sound delay effects and sequencing devices.'

That, right there, is Edges guitar style.

Willy

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 10:10:10 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

Well first of all one must LISTEN to the music. The music is, primarily, where the evidence is. However one can also look to documentary evidence via, for example, the interview with Brook I posted. One can look at the timeline and how U2's sonic aesthetic changed. One can look at Lanois friendship with Brook. One can look at Edges soundtrack work with Brook. But most of all one must LISTEN to the music!

From the interview:

'In short, it produces an infinite sustainable tone and allows the user an enormous degree of flexibility when the instrument is utilised in conjunction with electronic sound delay effects and sequencing devices.'

Willy

So... what you mean is that you have no evidence, just your interpretation based on the music. That's fine, if you put it that way.

This is the description of the infinite guitar sound, which was used and credited as such on WOWY. Nothing more. And it is totally possible to obtain this sound without the infinite guitar, as any user of the e-bow will tell you.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 10:17:45 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

From the interview:

Willy

So... what you mean is that you have no evidence, just your interpretation based on the music. That's fine, if you put it that way.

This is the description of the infinite guitar sound, which was used and credited as such on WOWY. Nothing more. And it is totally possible to obtain this sound without the infinite guitar, as any user of the e-bow will tell you.

I disagree.

I have used an e-bow and the sound is not the same. Equally, edges use of delay effects and sequencing devices, is basically his pre TUF guitar style via Michael Brook. I am unsure why this is so difficult for you to accept, but it is what it is.

Regarding 'evidence' I refer you to my previous position. I have a whole lot more 'evidence' than anyone else here.

Willy

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 10:21:19 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

From the interview:

Willy

I disagree.

I have used an e-bow and the sound is not the same. Equally, edges use of delay effects and sequencing devices, is basically his pre TUF guitar style via Michael Brook. I am unsure why this is so difficult for you to accept, but it is what it is.

Regarding 'evidence' I refer you to my previous position. I have a whole lot more 'evidence' than anyone else here.

Willy

So, it's just your opinion, then. Got it.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

From the interview:

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

Nope.

Willy

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

From the interview:

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

Nope.

Willy

Also an opinion.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »

I agree.

Wow. Just Wow.

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

From the interview:

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

Nope.

Willy

Also an opinion.

Using your logic everything is an opinion. Which it is. However some opinions are closer to the truth than others. Yours, sadly, are some distance away. Mine, less so. At least when it comes to Brook.

Willy