Is The Live Aid Version Of Bad The Best Ever Or Is there A Version Or 2 Better ?

• 52 Replies

Passenger_AFN

• We're one but not the same
It's tough to compare it's an epic of the catalog so for those that have seen and heard...................

Which is your favorite Bad moment..........................
Don't want to be a pain
Don't wanna stay the same

riffraff

• All roads lead to where you are
Probably Live Aid, but this is pretty awesome, too...

Love comes tumbling down again

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
My go to Bad moment is the one on Wide Awake In America. The studio version is too leaden and I donít really like live albums much. The WAIA version is a nice middle ground between the audio take and a rough n ready bootleg version. WAIA was also recorded at a fertile time for the band who were looking for a change of direction via Eno/Lanois/Brook. Thatís particularly why this version sounds so fresh. Plus bono can still actually sing it!

Willy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:41:42 AM by Big_Willy_Wonka »
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Big_Willy_Wonka

And in fact the version of A Sort of Homecoming from WAIA is far superior to the studio version too. The stripped back intro is excellent. They did that with the Fly on the Elevation tour too and it worked very well. Although the version on WAIA isnít strictly live. It was recorded at a sound check and The crowd noise added after

Willy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:02:14 AM by Big_Willy_Wonka »
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

riffraff

Very good points, Willy. Wide Awake In America is simply wonderful in it's presentation.

Big_Willy_Wonka

Very good points, Willy. Wide Awake In America is simply wonderful in it's presentation.

I agree.

Plus there is the bonus of The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling, although I prefer the latter. It reminds me in some ways of Heartland, all dark and brooding, erotic even.

Great cover, too.

Willy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 09:45:04 AM by Big_Willy_Wonka »

riffraff

I agree.

Plus there is the bonus of The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling, although I prefer the latter. It reminds me in some ways of Heartland, all dark and brooding, erotic even.

Great cover, too.

Willy
Yes, Wide Awake offers us the very dark and the very light...

Big_Willy_Wonka

I agree.

Great cover, too.

Willy

I agree.

If I am feeling sad it can lift me out of my sadness, or at least help me travel through it. If I am feeling happy it can inspire me and make me believe in something bigger than myself.

Willy

riffraff

I agree.

Great cover, too.

Willy

I agree.

If I am feeling sad it can lift me out of my sadness, or at least help me travel through it. If I am feeling happy it can inspire me and make me believe in something bigger than myself.

Willy
Wow, we are right-on-together on this one, Willy. It's also great for a workout album.

Big_Willy_Wonka

I agree.

Great cover, too.

Willy

I agree.

Willy
Wow, we are right-on-together on this one, Willy. It's also great for a workout album.

I agree with your first sentence. However, I can't imagine exercising to U2. Perhaps I should try, next time I go sailing.

Willy

riffraff

I agree.

Great cover, too.

Willy

I agree.

Willy

I agree with your first sentence. However, I can't imagine exercising to U2. Perhaps I should try, next time I go sailing.

Willy
I work out every day, and 98% of the time, it's to U2 music. I never tire of it. Sailing would be a good combo with the band...

Big_Willy_Wonka

I agree.

Great cover, too.

Willy

I agree.

Willy

Willy
I work out every day, and 98% of the time, it's to U2 music. I never tire of it. Sailing would be a good combo with the band...

I cannot imagine being inspired to workout to U2 but I will certainly try to one day.

Willy

Acrobat

I have over 300 versions (bootlegs) of the song. And about 250 of them are better than the Live Aid version.

Bad's very first live appearance was in Lyon, France on Oct. 18 1984. On that first European leg, the versions are really interesting to listen to, problems with the sequencer, Bono not figuring out how to sing the high notes etc..... but its cool to listen to the song evolve live. I'm sure you have all seen the Dortmund version - 11.21.84!

Then on the next couple of legs the song really finds its groove, and the version for the rest of the UF tour are outstanding. Such power and passion in the performances.

There are a couple of really long versions on Leg 4 (Europe) and Leg 5 (N America), Teatro Tendra (Italy 02.05.85) and East Rutherford (NY 04.15.85) that are my two favorites - outstanding. YouTube has audio on them.
What are we going to do now it's all been said.
No new ideas in the house and every book has been read.

Passenger_AFN

• We're one but not the same
I have over 300 versions (bootlegs) of the song. And about 250 of them are better than the Live Aid version.

Bad's very first live appearance was in Lyon, France on Oct. 18 1984. On that first European leg, the versions are really interesting to listen to, problems with the sequencer, Bono not figuring out how to sing the high notes etc..... but its cool to listen to the song evolve live. I'm sure you have all seen the Dortmund version - 11.21.84!

Then on the next couple of legs the song really finds its groove, and the version for the rest of the UF tour are outstanding. Such power and passion in the performances.

There are a couple of really long versions on Leg 4 (Europe) and Leg 5 (N America), Teatro Tendra (Italy 02.05.85) and East Rutherford (NY 04.15.85) that are my two favorites - outstanding. YouTube has audio on them.

Thanks for Sharing Acrobat this is why I started this thread ! With the number of lifelong fans out there that had the privilege of seeing them multiple times I knew there were stories like this out there ! Thanks for sharing !!! Same for you Willy and Riffy !
Don't want to be a pain
Don't wanna stay the same

riffraff

It's always good to share...I'm not sure why I chose the version that I posted above...it's certainly not the best, but for some reason, it's a favorite version of mine.