Bono meets Freddie Mercury

• 25 Replies

THRILLHO

Bono meets Freddie Mercury
« on: July 14, 2020, 06:33:41 PM »
anyone know if this is true?

from the Legend of Freddie Mercury facebook page

"Bono and Freddie funny incident!
By the time Live Aid rolled around in 1985, Freddie was 38 and most people in the industry knew he was gay. Even so, Bono (24 years old that time) was rather taken aback when Freddie flirtatiously hustled him up against a wall backstage "like he was chatting up a chick." Despite being two of the biggest stars in the world they had never met before.
When Freddie Mercury flirted with Bono, he apparently was unaware that the Queen singer was gay.
U2 frontman Bono was backstage at Wembley Stadium with his wife Ali Stewart, when the hilarious encounter occurred.
Bono recalled: "I was walking with Ali and Freddie Mercury pulled me aside and said: ‘Oh, Bo-No….is it Bo-No or Bon-O?’ I told him, ‘It’s Bon-O’. He said, ‘Come over here with me.
"I was up against a wall and he put his hand on the wall and was talking to me like he was chatting up a chick. He had me laughing but I was shifting nervously at the time, with Ali and myself exchanging glances."
Bono added: "I thought, ‘Wow, this guy’s really camp.’ I was telling somebody later and he said: ‘You’re surprised? They’re called Queen!’ But I was really amazed. It hadn’t dawned on me.”

The Edges Cat

Re: Bono meets Freddie Mercury
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:35:41 PM »
Sounds like complete bullshit, and it doesn't even sound like something Bono would say. I think I've seen this story elsewhere years ago too.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:16:31 PM by The Edges Cat »
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

THRILLHO

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 07:18:53 PM »
so its bs then? is that the general consensus?

laoghaire

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 07:43:20 PM »
My opinion.

1) I doubt anyone contests that they were backstage.

2) Surely they met. Also, Brian supposedly gave his regards to The Hedge. Why wouldn't Freddie and Bono have met? People were mingling. It was a big day, energy was up.

3) I can believe Bono didn't know Freddie was gay. Naive Irish boy. There are a few stories of their collective naivetee.

4) If they met, it is strange to think Freddie *didn't* turn on the charm. It doesn't mean Freddie was seriously trolling for a hookup, he would have just been Freddie being Freddie.

5) I dunno if his hand was actually against the wall - maybe, maybe not - but if Bono didn't realize he was gay, surely he would have gotten vibes right then.

So Bono may have played up the chick-chat but the basics of the story - they met, Freddie charmed, Bono had an aha moment - seems utterly plausible.

THRILLHO

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 07:50:20 PM »

so Bono said this almost verbatim but if they did meet i guess we wont know unless Brian or Roger confirm it

THRILLHO

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 08:08:19 PM »
also, that would be a pretty bold lie for him to throw out in front of Larry i think? i tend to think its the truth

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 08:19:40 PM »
This story is true. Midge Ure and Elton John were both present and commented on it at the time. It's also consistent both with the story of Live Aid and Freddie Mercury's personality. He was comfortable with his sexuality and regularly "chatted up" other celebrities in a joking way. His partner (James Hutton??) was in the room so it was a friendly flirt and nothing too serious. Freddie was entranced by Bono at the time. U2 had just gotten off the stage, and Queen was about to go on.

Ironically, there's a parody of the scene in this video at about 6:45. It's from a show called "Urban Myths: Backstage at Live Aid" but despite the title, it's well researched.

--------
< - This man does not exist.

THRILLHO

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 08:22:32 PM »
WTF?!?!? lol thats great!!!

this is why i start threads like this, id have never know that existed!

The Edges Cat

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 08:23:38 PM »
So I'm wrong? Dammit, you owe me one Bono! Nah, I still think I'm half right, the quote is very loose.

so Bono said this almost verbatim but if they did meet i guess we wont know unless Brian or Roger confirm it

Larry trying not laugh as if Bono is saying Biggus Dickus.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 08:25:48 PM by The Edges Cat »
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

financeguy1

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 07:17:08 AM »
Sounds like complete bullshit, and it doesn't even sound like something Bono would say. I think I've seen this story elsewhere years ago too.

Its a verbatim extract from the U2 by U2 book.

THRILLHO

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »

Its a verbatim extract from the U2 by U2 book.

wow shows how much i remember about that book.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 01:22:12 PM »
Does the name Queen have anything to do with Mercury being gay?  It seems like it would be an obvious yes, but they were already well into their career as a band before Mercury came out.

THRILLHO

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 02:29:10 PM »
Does the name Queen have anything to do with Mercury being gay?  It seems like it would be an obvious yes, but they were already well into their career as a band before Mercury came out.

they were called Smile pre-Freddie

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »

that was a different band though.  If Mercury came out to the other band mates before they'd chosen the name, it would be one thing, or if Mercury chose the name as an in-joke that the band wasn't in-on, but according to the film, he wasn't out and hadn't come to terms with being gay until they already had a few albums out.  Just wondering because some people assume the name has to do with his sexuality, but from what little of the band i know, it doesn't seem that way.

THRILLHO

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 06:28:10 PM »

that was a different band though.  If Mercury came out to the other band mates before they'd chosen the name, it would be one thing, or if Mercury chose the name as an in-joke that the band wasn't in-on, but according to the film, he wasn't out and hadn't come to terms with being gay until they already had a few albums out.  Just wondering because some people assume the name has to do with his sexuality, but from what little of the band i know, it doesn't seem that way.

that movie was NOT historically accurate in far more reasons than the inclusion of Fat Bottomed Girls and We Will Rock Years in the wrong years.