Zooropa

• 25 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Zooropa
« on: July 14, 2020, 06:14:51 PM »
As we seem to be having a few chats about Zooropa i was reminded of this dull Rolling Stone piece - predictable, saying nothing interesting and not memorable at all but for one point.....

Number 9.

Discuss.....!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/u2s-zooropa-10-things-you-didnt-know-666937/

WookieeWarrior

Re: Zooropa
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »
9. Zooropa won the Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album in 1994 – and Bono was not happy.

Whereas most artists would be OK with winning one Grammy, Bono begrudgingly accepted the band’s sixth Grammy while dropping a rare F-bomb. “Yeah, ‘alternative,'” began Bono, rolling his eyes with the “Best Alternative Album” award in hand. After shouting out the Smashing Pumpkins and college radio, Bono delivered what he believed to be Zooropa‘s mission. “I think I’d like to give a message to the young people of America, and that is we shall continue to abuse our position and fuck up the mainstream. God bless you.” Bono’s issue wasn’t winning – Zooropa beat out Nirvana’s In Utero, R.E.M.’s Automatic for the People, the Pumpkins’ Siamese Dream, and Belly’s Star – but that his band didn’t even get nominated for Album of the Year. (This was Whitney Houston’s year thanks to the Bodyguard soundtrack.) “I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius,” said Bono in 2006. “I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that.”

Zooropa was a success, but not by U2 standards. “Lemon” and “Numb” went Top Five, but only on the Modern Rock radio chart, and “Lemon” went Number One only on the Billboard Dance Club Play charts. “Stay (Faraway, So Close!)” was the only song to make the Billboard Top 100, but it only reached Number 61. (Achtung Baby managed to land five tracks onto the Billboard Top 100.) U2 aimed to fuck up the mainstream, but instead, after a brief moment at Number One, Zooropa ending up becoming their worst-selling album in the U.S. since October, though they would later beat that dubious record with Pop.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 06:24:51 PM »
I can't tell if Bono's anger is the result of not winning the AOTY Grammy in and of itself or because of the absurdity of having an "Alternative" genre at all. Moreover, is his retrospective comment being clouded through his 2006 ideas of popularity and relevance, or did Bono feel that way all the way back in 1994?

THRILLHO

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 06:32:37 PM »
ya no. Siamese Dream was THE alternative album of 93. Sorry PJ and Nirvana.

laoghaire

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 07:31:57 PM »
I, too, give the award to Siamese Dream.

Bono sounds like quite the asshole there.

Imho, Zooropa won because Achtung, Baby didn't. AB was worthy but in a crowded year.

That is not to demote Zooropa at all, it just didn't have the cultural impact of AB.

an tha

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 07:48:08 PM »
If we are handing out best alternative album awards for 1993 then Rid of Me is the winner for me by a mile.

an tha

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 07:49:12 PM »
As for Bono's Grammy comments.....sadly it says it all about where his head was even then.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 08:42:42 PM »
9. Zooropa won the Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album in 1994 – and Bono was not happy.

Whereas most artists would be OK with winning one Grammy, Bono begrudgingly accepted the band’s sixth Grammy while dropping a rare F-bomb. “Yeah, ‘alternative,'” began Bono, rolling his eyes with the “Best Alternative Album” award in hand. After shouting out the Smashing Pumpkins and college radio, Bono delivered what he believed to be Zooropa‘s mission. “I think I’d like to give a message to the young people of America, and that is we shall continue to abuse our position and fuck up the mainstream. God bless you.” Bono’s issue wasn’t winning – Zooropa beat out Nirvana’s In Utero, R.E.M.’s Automatic for the People, the Pumpkins’ Siamese Dream, and Belly’s Star – but that his band didn’t even get nominated for Album of the Year. (This was Whitney Houston’s year thanks to the Bodyguard soundtrack.) “I thought of Zooropa at the time as a work of genius,” said Bono in 2006. “I really thought our pop discipline was matching our experimentation and this was our Sgt. Pepper. I was a little wrong about that.”

Zooropa was a success, but not by U2 standards. “Lemon” and “Numb” went Top Five, but only on the Modern Rock radio chart, and “Lemon” went Number One only on the Billboard Dance Club Play charts. “Stay (Faraway, So Close!)” was the only song to make the Billboard Top 100, but it only reached Number 61. (Achtung Baby managed to land five tracks onto the Billboard Top 100.) U2 aimed to fuck up the mainstream, but instead, after a brief moment at Number One, Zooropa ending up becoming their worst-selling album in the U.S. since October, though they would later beat that dubious record with Pop.

LOL
First Chair. Last Call.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 08:46:56 PM »

LOL

Zooropa sold 3 million copies in the USA and about 8 million worldwide and won a grammy (two if you count the best longform video for ZooTV Live from Sydney). How that represents failure for any band is beyond me.
-------

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 09:30:32 PM »
Great retrospective on the album, 20 years later.

(It is absolutely a night album, btw)

https://www.stereogum.com/1398731/zooropa-turns-20/top-stories/
First Chair. Last Call.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 09:57:53 PM »
I don't really see Zooropa as an alternative album...I think the grammy award folk just shoehorned it into this category. It's a good album - there are a bunch of strong tracks on it (Dirty Day, Lemon, and Zooropa, and Stay are real standouts for me). The Wanderer is a cool track. As U2 albums go it's certainly an oddity - it's somewhat hermetically sealed in its time capsule, which is shot through with the afterglow of post-Cold War European optimism. I rather enjoy its place in the band's catalog.

Still, Bono comes off as a complete ass in this award speech. Listen, I think most award shows are dumb and pointless and chasing Grammies and Emmies and Shwammies and Whammies is a fool's errand. But be gracious, accept your award, and don't come off as a pompous jerk.
Hold on, people! The man's talking about waste management. That affects the whole damn planet.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 03:29:44 AM »
As for Bono's Grammy comments.....sadly it says it all about where his head was even then.

It's sad because, for a while... say 1983-1993 they really were fucking up the mainstream.
-Sunday Bloody Sunday
-With or Without You
-Desire
-The Fly
-Numb

Those are songs that are very different form each other and from what was on the radio at the time. And they were all hit singles.

Ironic that U2 stopped fucking up the mainstream right after Bono said they would.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 03:46:24 AM »

It's sad because, for a while... say 1983-1993 they really were fucking up the mainstream.
-Sunday Bloody Sunday
-With or Without You
-Desire
-The Fly
-Numb

Those are songs that are very different form each other and from what was on the radio at the time. And they were all hit singles.

Ironic that U2 stopped fucking up the mainstream right after Bono said they would.

I agree.
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 07:03:46 AM »

LOL

Zooropa sold 3 million copies in the USA and about 8 million worldwide and won a grammy (two if you count the best longform video for ZooTV Live from Sydney). How that represents failure for any band is beyond me.

Because it was their worst-selling album since October.  U2 hoped it would be a big hit, their Sgt Pepper, and it wound up being one of their least popular albums, producing hits and being quickly forgotten by non-fans.  Downward trajectories are never seen as successes no matter how big or small a band is.  If Mercedes somehow placed 3rd in Formula 1 this season, it would be seen as a massive failure, and people would lose their jobs.  If Williams did that, it would be a miracle, and everyone involved would get tons of job offers.
There's a bible verse,
says the last one shall be first.
Well, if that verse is true,
there's hope for me and you.
-Kevin Kerby

Rupert Pupkin

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 09:07:00 AM »
I still hear Lemon on the radio, in supermarkets.  Just saying, sales at the time aren't everything, and of course if we're having the conversation I think we're having, they aren't anything.  Zooropa is one of U2's defining albums.  It's one of a handful of bricks holding up what passes for their legacy.
shootin' TVs
reading Corinthians Thirteen