Michael Brook

• 90 Replies

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
Michael Brook
« on: July 14, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »
OK, we're placating Big Willy here - he seems to think Michael Brook is the creator of the universe - so......weigh in!
--------
< - This man does not exist.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Re: Michael Brook
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 02:26:27 PM »
If i would ask 500 random people around here if they knew who is Micheal Brook is, I would get 500 « Micheal who? ». And he’s Canadian FFS.
First Chair. Last Call.

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »
there really is no option for a mass murdering psychopath?

u2 really have let me down

there are demons in the broad day light

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 09:14:51 PM »
there really is no option for a mass murdering psychopath?

u2 really have let me down

Well he is Canadian so.....  8)
--------
< - This man does not exist.

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 03:52:12 AM »
If i would ask 500 random people around here if they knew who is Micheal Brook is, I would get 500 « Micheal who? ». And he’s Canadian FFS.

Then I suggest you start moving in more sophisticated circles, dear boy.

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 03:57:00 AM »
Most people agree sonic pioneer, Michael Brook, played a significant part in U2’s music after the war album. Along with Eno and Lanois, Brook painted their records with a sonic palette Lillywhite could never have achieved. All you need to do is LISTEN!

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 04:03:22 AM »
Seriously guys you really need to let go of this...

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/beyond-the-infinite/5836

‘Michael Brook is one of the world's greatest electronic music inventors extant. In fact, he's got few rivals. That flowing harmony guitar that makes up the U2 sound, listened to by millions, is Brook's handiwork - a very limited edition invention titled the 'infinite guitar'. Only three such guitars exist at the moment: one owned by U2's Edge; one in the possession of fellow Canadian producer/artist Daniel Lanois; and, of course, one used by the man himself. In short, it produces an infinite sustainable tone and allows the user an enormous degree of flexibility when the instrument is utilised in conjunction with electronic sound delay effects and sequencing devices.’

This is an interview with Brook who is a close friend of edge! I hardly think Brook would have agreed to what was written if it wasn’t true! As for the credit Soloyan seems so obsessed with...

‘Probably because of his shyness and backroom dedication to other peoples' sounds, Brook hasn't been given the credit he deserves.’

This is straight from the horses mouth not a load of nerds speculating on a u2 message board!

Jeez, you guys...

Willy
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:16:03 AM by Big_Willy_Wonka »

MPare1966

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 06:55:55 AM »
If i would ask 500 random people around here if they knew who is Micheal Brook is, I would get 500 « Micheal who? ». And he’s Canadian FFS.

Willy

I disagree.

:P
First Chair. Last Call.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 06:58:58 AM »

Willy

I disagree.

I don’t think you can, based on the overwhelming evidence!

Willy

MPare1966

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 07:08:51 AM »

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

My point is that for the general public, he has the same notoriety has a garbage man in Sudbury, Ontario.

But, for a few anoraks....  ;D
First Chair. Last Call.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 07:13:21 AM »

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

My point is that for the general public, he has the same notoriety has a garbage man in Sudbury, Ontario.

What does that have to do with the poll which is about Brooks undeniable part in shaping Edges guitar sound? Or, according to someone who actually knows him, Brook pretty much invented edges guitar sound!

Willy

MPare1966

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 07:25:12 AM »

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

What does that have to do with the poll which is about Brooks undeniable part in shaping Edges guitar sound? Or, according to someone who actually knows him, Brook pretty much invented edges guitar sound!

Willy

Which option is more popular in the poll?  ;)
First Chair. Last Call.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 07:29:00 AM »

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

Willy

I see. So, in your view, the opinion of a bunch of U2 nerds is more evidential than someone who actually KNOWS Brook.

Jeez...

Willy

MPare1966

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 07:33:28 AM »

Willy

I disagree.

Willy

Willy

I see. So, in your view, the opinion of a bunch of U2 nerds is more evidential than someone who actually KNOWS Brook.

Jeez...

Willy

To be clear, I’m not arguing about his contribution(s) to U2, just his general notoriety. He’s very “niche” you know.
First Chair. Last Call.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 07:40:57 AM »
Seriously guys you really need to let go of this...

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/beyond-the-infinite/5836

‘Michael Brook is one of the world's greatest electronic music inventors extant. In fact, he's got few rivals. That flowing harmony guitar that makes up the U2 sound, listened to by millions, is Brook's handiwork - a very limited edition invention titled the 'infinite guitar'. Only three such guitars exist at the moment: one owned by U2's Edge; one in the possession of fellow Canadian producer/artist Daniel Lanois; and, of course, one used by the man himself. In short, it produces an infinite sustainable tone and allows the user an enormous degree of flexibility when the instrument is utilised in conjunction with electronic sound delay effects and sequencing devices.’

This is an interview with Brook who is a close friend of edge! I hardly think Brook would have agreed to what was written if it wasn’t true! As for the credit Soloyan seems so obsessed with...

‘Probably because of his shyness and backroom dedication to other peoples' sounds, Brook hasn't been given the credit he deserves.’

This is straight from the horses mouth not a load of nerds speculating on a u2 message board!

Jeez, you guys...

Willy

I see backfire coming...

First of all, the quotes you’re using are NOT from the horse’s mouth but from what you called elsewhere an « underpaid monkey ».

Here’s what Brook has to say about his work with Edge, on « Captive » :

"That was recorded in Dublin in Windmill Lane studios. It was fun, a good project. Edge had started it on his own but then needed someone to bounce ideas off, and to help organise things and come up with suggestions. I got involved halfway through. It was intense, really compact, as it all happened over a very short time over Christmas. I played some synthesizers, so did he, and we both played guitar and percussion. It was mainly doing overdubs, mixing, and adding new pieces."

Elsewhere in the article, it is said that he built the infinite guitar for his solo album « Hybrid » which was recorded after TUF. Which confirms Edge’s use of e-bow as we see him experimenting with Eno in the TUF documentary.

So, if someone should let go, maybe it’s you...
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...