Dirty Day

• 61 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Dirty Day
« on: July 14, 2020, 06:38:25 AM »
Now i will openly admit that u2 are not on many of my playlists these days or are featuring highly on my Scrobble stats....

But every now and then a gem of theirs does pop up on shuffle or i'll be in mood to listen to Zooropa or Pop.

Well today Dirty Day came on my shuffle - and it's a great fucking song!

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
Re: Dirty Day
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 06:51:58 AM »
Now i will openly admit that u2 are not on many of my playlists these days or are featuring highly on my Scrobble stats....

But every now and then a gem of theirs does pop up on shuffle or i'll be in mood to listen to Zooropa or Pop.

I agree.

In under-appreciated gem.

Willy 
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

riffraff

• And it covers me in fear
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 06:54:42 AM »
Yep, another of their darker wonders.
Sometimes Im full of anger and grieving, so far away from believing that any sun will reappear

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 07:30:19 AM »

I agree.

Willy

I agree.

Zooropa in its entirety is an under-appreciated gem. For the casual fans I mean, not to the connoisseurs we have here.  :D
First Chair. Last Call.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 08:02:18 AM »

I agree.

Willy

I agree.

Zooropa in its entirety is an under-appreciated gem. For the casual fans I mean, not to the connoisseurs we have here.  :D

I agree.

Although AB probably beats it in terms of song craft, Zooropa is a sonically superior record. Imagine what they could have achieved if theyd let fly sonically on AB they way they did on Zooropa. That would be quite something.

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 08:20:24 AM »

I agree.

Willy

I agree.

I agree.

Although AB probably beats it in terms of song craft, Zooropa is a sonically superior record. Imagine what they could have achieved if theyd let fly sonically on AB they way they did on Zooropa. That would be quite something.

Willy

I agree.

Add the fact that ABs mastering was very flawed, so yes absolutely, Zooropa is better sonically, both in terms of the music, but on the production side also. And yes, overall the songs on AB are superior.
First Chair. Last Call.

Big_Willy_Wonka

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »

I agree.

Willy

I agree.

I agree.

Willy

I agree.

Add the fact that ABs mastering was very flawed, so yes absolutely, Zooropa is better sonically, both in terms of the music, but on the production side also. And yes, overall the songs on AB are superior.

I agree.

Willy

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »
Dirty Day is a crackin tune. One i really enjoy, a whole lot. Loved it live on the Sydney DVD. It really rocks. I did feel that the E&I reinvention of the song was really poor tho. Too much talking and i just dont like the way Bono delivered the vocals.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Miami

• Here comes the car chase
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 04:14:13 PM »
Dirty Day is a crackin tune. One i really enjoy, a whole lot. Loved it live on the Sydney DVD. It really rocks. I did feel that the E&I reinvention of the song was really poor tho. Too much talking and i just dont like the way Bono delivered the vocals.

Agree with all of this. It's fantastic live on zootv sydney. It was ruined on e&I by bono's talking. Bono has enhanced a lot of songs live over the years, but jesus, he can ruin them at times too.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 05:25:39 PM »
I'd love for them to trot this one out on their next tour if they can do it justice.

I just don't know if Bono's voice is gritty enough for this anymore.
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

riffraff

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 05:27:19 PM »
I'd love for them to trot this one out on their next tour if they can do it justice.

Edge could sing it...
Sometimes Im full of anger and grieving, so far away from believing that any sun will reappear

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 05:28:39 PM »

Edge could sing it...
Isn't the song a collection of sayings Bono's dad used to have? I feel like it's his song to sing...but it is best with that gritty 90s voice he used to have. Now it sounds too thin and a bit high.
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 05:39:12 PM »
Love the song and the lyrics.  Always thought it was about a father and son, but never really looked it up to see if that's true.

riffraff

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 06:16:49 PM »

Edge could sing it...
Isn't the song a collection of sayings Bono's dad used to have? I feel like it's his song to sing...but it is best with that gritty 90s voice he used to have. Now it sounds too thin and a bit high.
Yes, it's Bono's dad sayings. But, have you heard the one rehearsal or whatever it was where Edge sang the first verse? It was great. I've been trying to find that audio...I have it saved somewhere...

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 07:11:55 PM »
You learn something new every day on this forum. I had no idea the meaning behind dirty day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------
< - This man does not exist.