U2’s chance to make an album without a tour

• 34 Replies

The Edges Cat

U2’s chance to make an album without a tour
« on: July 10, 2020, 08:59:14 PM »
With covid vaccines possibly years away, here’s a chance for the band to stay home and record an album without thinking about how to tour it. No “this won’t work live, we need to get another producer to tweak it.” Just make music with no expectations of a tour. Can they do it?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:00:51 PM by The Edges Cat »
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
Re: U2’s chance to make an album without a tour
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 10:14:16 PM »
This!

I doubt they will, I know they can. Songs like SLABT, troubles and BOYH show they still have greatness in them
-------

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 12:50:41 AM »
They could but won't. U2 is too businesslike in all manner to do music for the sake of music. The band's one divergence, Passengers, would also be its last considering what Larry had to say about that album's supposed "self-indulgence". At least that comment makes some association between an un-toured album and artistry. Now, no tour means no album, for such an idea means no money and, besides... wouldn't that be pretentious?

I would love to hear an unrestrained, weird record that offered no consideration to how feasible playing it live would be. Quarantine should be a liberating time for the band to forgo their own expectations and work from scratch.

They won't, because as Adam said, U2 has another album of songs ready to record. This time will be spent with producers polishing to no end, not doing anything productive.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 02:07:54 AM »
Live Nation wants tours.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

This Dave

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 02:11:56 AM »
With covid vaccines possibly years away, here’s a chance for the band to stay home and record an album without thinking about how to tour it. No “this won’t work live, we need to get another producer to tweak it.” Just make music with no expectations of a tour. Can they do it?

I used to think that they'd never do this because "live is where we live", but come on, live is requiring a lot of Weekend At Bernies propping up these days, as discussed in other threads.

Why not make the artistic choices you've always wanted to make?

There's literally no reason. They don't need the money, the distribution is basically free, and their reputation at this point is what it is going to be.  If they can undermine it, it is going to be with taking no chances and becoming a karaoke machine, not by trying to do something interesting.

They don't see this, though, and never will.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 05:51:08 AM »
They’ve really got nothing to lose. If it doesn’t make a splash, no probs, move on and work on a tour album like they have for 20 years.?If it makes an impact, that’s the relevancy they crave.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 06:22:54 AM »
They could start a new period for themselves where they step away from pop rock and massive productions in enormodomes.

I very much doubt they will.

Retirement would be my own personal preference for them, but they like a pound note too much for that.

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 06:45:30 AM »
The bottom line is there’s no money in it. So why would they bother?

Maybe the virus is a blessing in disguise for u2 ltd. If they can’t play live and won’t record unless they can tour, it might save their legacy from total annihilation!

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 07:58:11 AM »
BREAKING NEWS

COVID-19 SAVES U2’S CAREER

Aging band has found new inspiration amidst the pandemic

Bono: « We’ve got great new songs, I think they’re the best we’ve ever recorded. Edge is on Fire »
First Chair. Last Call.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 08:51:45 AM »
u2 are a corporation. They have corporation mentality. They dont seem interested in anything unless there is a huge pay-off. And by all accounts, there is no money in albums now. Touring is where the money is made. BUT, has the virus flipped that on its head, at least in the short term?
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »
BREAKING NEWS

Bono: « We’ve got great new songs. This new album might just be our best »
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »
Honestly I think COVID might pretty much relegate them to doing nostalgia tours in their mid- to late-60s at this point. Realistically it might be end of the road for the band. Without the benefit of a big production with huge crowds I don't really know what U2's identity is. They've always clung to being super culturally relevant, and their last album / tour was pretty fleeting and showed that aside from hardcore fans and people who like going to events, not a lot of people are going to be discovering U2 for the first time. Add to the fact that the fan base is aging and the attention span of younger generations is so short that U2 would be better off releasing a Tik Tok video than an album.

The fact that they got a second wind in the early 2000s is very much to their credit as most acts don't even get that. It's going to be at least 2021 until a new tour can happen, and as far as I know there is nothing in the works for a new album any time soon. Even if they started NOW, expect at least 2-3 years before it gets done, pending numerous world events.
Hold on, people! The man's talking about waste management. That affects the whole damn planet.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 10:20:13 AM »
Honestly I think COVID might pretty much relegate them to doing nostalgia tours in their mid- to late-60s at this point. Realistically it might be end of the road for the band. Without the benefit of a big production with huge crowds I don't really know what U2's identity is. They've always clung to being super culturally relevant, and their last album / tour was pretty fleeting and showed that aside from hardcore fans and people who like going to events, not a lot of people are going to be discovering U2 for the first time. Add to the fact that the fan base is aging and the attention span of younger generations is so short that U2 would be better off releasing a Tik Tok video than an album.

The fact that they got a second wind in the early 2000s is very much to their credit as most acts don't even get that. It's going to be at least 2021 until a new tour can happen, and as far as I know there is nothing in the works for a new album any time soon. Even if they started NOW, expect at least 2-3 years before it gets done, pending numerous world events.

Haha. That’s good.  ;D
First Chair. Last Call.

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 11:55:53 AM »
BREAKING NEWS

Bono: « We’ve got great new songs, I think they’re the best we’ve ever recorded. Edge is on Fire »

oh no, Edge has a fever   :(
white dopes on punk ~ staring into the flash `*+'"

riffraff

• All roads lead to where you are
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 01:28:35 PM »
BREAKING NEWS

Bono: « We’ve got great new songs, I think they’re the best we’ve ever recorded. Edge is on Fire »

oh no, Edge has a fever   :(
No, he's just very hot.  8)
Love comes tumbling down again