Movie scores composers

• 15 Replies

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Movie scores composers
« on: July 09, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »
I have the feeling, since I've read the posts about Ennio Morricone's passing, that there is a potentiel thread on this topic.

Here it is.

As years pass I feel more and more enclined towards films scores and soundtracks.

I have discovered recently that it is a different culture than, say, pop music, for instance. Composers often work with a team and it's sometimes hard to say if a piece of work belongs more to the composer or his team. There have been stories of plagiarism too...

Anyhoo... Let's begin this discussion.

First topic : do you think a film score holds the same value when you have not seen or enjoyed the film ? Is film score tainted with nostalgia, a way to go back into a movie or an independant piece of music ?
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

riffraff

• And it covers me in fear
Re: Movie scores composers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
I don't think I've ever listened to a flim score without seeing the film. At least I can't think of one.
I do know that I still know all the words to every song from West Side Story.  ::)
Sometimes Iím full of anger and grieving, so far away from believing that any sun will reappear

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 11:22:02 AM »
I used to listen to all my mates big brothers Movie Sountrack albums, back in the mid to late 80s. I hadnt seen hardly any of the movies. They were mostly Horror movie soundtracks that Chris collected.

As i type this, i am listening to the Original Blade Runner sountrack
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »
I like Mark Mothersbaugh film scores from the Wes Anderson films.  Was never into Devo so i first learned of him as the Wes Anderson guy.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 01:51:26 PM »
I don't think I've ever listened to a flim score without seeing the film. At least I can't think of one.
I do know that I still know all the words to every song from West Side Story.  ::)
I grew up listening to Sinatra, Dino and all the other crooners so i know all the songs from the great american songbook (or i think that's how they refer to all those old standards) so as i work my way through a lot of the famous musical films, i'm learning i already know all of the songs.
West Side Story is probably the best as far as the songs go.

Big_Willy_Wonka

• What gives human life it's worth anyway?
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »

Personally I like the film score to Captive. Featuring the edge and his coach, Michael Brook.

Willy
What gives human life it's worth anyway? Because someone loves it? Or hates it? The flesh is weak, only the soul is immortal.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 03:24:46 PM »

Personally I like the film score to Captive. Featuring the edge and his coach, Michael Brook.

Willy

Iíve seen the film once.
Letís just say the film is not why Iím listening to the score from time to time.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 08:52:36 PM »
First topic : do you think a film score holds the same value when you have not seen or enjoyed the film ? Is film score tainted with nostalgia, a way to go back into a movie or an independant piece of music ?

It depends on the score. Some are constructed in such a way that rewards an independent listen, while others only work in tandem with the film. Most of the atmospheric, Foley-laden works that have become so common aren't pleasant in isolation. But film music is typically written over a rough-cut scene; it's meant to work cohesively. Good film music should elevate the scene and vice versa.

You make an excellent point about nostalgia being a driving factor for listening to film scores. I don't think there are very many films I haven't seen yet have heard the music for. I'm currently listening to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's score for The Social Network, and having a mental image of the film as I absorb the music certainly takes it to another level.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 08:57:34 PM »

It depends on the score. Some are constructed in such a way that rewards an independent listen, while others only work in tandem with the film. Most of the atmospheric, Foley-laden works that have become so common aren't pleasant in isolation. But film music is typically written over a rough-cut scene; it's meant to work cohesively. Good film music should elevate the scene and vice versa.

You make an excellent point about nostalgia being a driving factor for listening to film scores. I don't think there are very many films I haven't seen yet have heard the music for. I'm currently listening to Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's score for The Social Network, and having a mental image of the film as I absorb the music certainly takes it to another level.

Have you seen Watchmen? Great score they did with that HBO series.
First Chair. Last Call.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 09:04:11 PM »

No, I haven't. I'm not a series guy, though, so maybe I'll check it out separately.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2020, 02:23:35 AM »

I have yet to watch Watchmen.

For my part, soundtracks are -almost- always linked with what I felt while I watched the film.

Iíll go even further since Iím also into video games scores. Itís an even more immersive experience.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 05:40:06 AM »

For my part, soundtracks are -almost- always linked with what I felt while I watched the film.

Iíll go even further since Iím also into video games scores. Itís an even more immersive experience.

Video game scores have improved a lot over the years, a natural development for one of the fastest-growing entertainment industries. Skyrim's is a favorite of mine. Daniel Lanois did a fantastic job on Red Dead Redemption 2.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 06:40:23 AM »

Video game scores have improved a lot over the years, a natural development for one of the fastest-growing entertainment industries. Skyrim's is a favorite of mine. Daniel Lanois did a fantastic job on Red Dead Redemption 2.

Fully agreed.

Video games music isn't fully "mature" yet. Very often it remains "inspired" by other music, film music, mostly. The score for Red Dead Redemption 1 was great but it had Morricone's fingerprints all over it. Willingly.

A few video games scores I liked :
-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Red Dead Redemption 1 & 2
-Assasin's Creed 2
-Heavy Rain

A few independent games too :
-Journey
-Rime

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 01:10:06 PM »
Score for the game "Journey", by Austin Wintory. Just listening to this gives me goosebumps.

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 03:43:53 AM »
I've listened to a few scores without watching the thing they came from, the game Journey for example.  There are also several scores that I like despite not liking the film they appear in, Tron: Legacy for example.  Also, I was introduced to Ennio Morricone through Tarantino movies.  While that is listening to music that was used in a film, it's not the film it was actually written for. 

I went on to watch all the Leone movies Ennio scored and a few other films he worked on like The Thing, and he really was a legend.  There was a period in high where I pretty much just listened to film scores, primarily from Hanz Zimmer and him.  Ennio Morricone will be missed.

Have been listening to this piece a lot this week:

There's a bible verse,
says the last one shall be first.
Well, if that verse is true,
there's hope for me and you.
-Kevin Kerby