Outside itís America

• 9 Replies

Codeguy

• In the shadows
Outside itís America
« on: July 03, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »
This Fourth of July is bittersweet for a lot of Americans - the virus, demonstrations and division etc

BUT this is still a country that has a lot going for it and I for one love it. From the majesty of the Rockies to the beauty of California, from the wide open spaces to the great diversity of musical tradition there is not a country on earth that compares. For all itís faults, this is where I choose to live, work and play because itís still the greatest country on earth.

So I thought Iíd start a NON POLITICAL thread -

What does America mean to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------

WookieeWarrior

Re: Outside itís America
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 03:31:00 PM »
America is an idea.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 08:13:06 AM »
To me, America has so much potential, held back by so many problems.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:15:57 AM by Smee »
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Noisy neighbors, but canít live without them.
First Chair. Last Call.

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »
It's a beautiful place.

AliSPNfan

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 02:16:54 PM »
I love the friendliness of the American people  :)

I've been visiting the US since 1987 & I don't think I've ever had a bad experience.

It's a beautiful country with so many incredible landscapes.I've been truly lucky to have visited the USA so many times.

Happy Independence Day!!
Family don't end with blood!

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »
Happy 4th all! As soon as the rain stops here in the sunshine state Iíll be out grilling steaks and watching fireworks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-------

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 03:54:23 AM »
American culture has had a huge impact on me.

When I was a kid, America was the definition of cool. You guys were reportedly "10 years ahead" in just about anything. Looking at you from over the pond was like looking into our future.

I was a fan of cycling, which, up until the 80's, was essentially a euro-centric sport. But Greg LeMond arrived and made it a modern sport, not just a tradition.

I was a fan of Star Wars and growing up watching American films in the 80's was such a treat... I'm still watching 80% of American films and TV series today, as they have become more and more layered, complex and challenging.

First time I went to the US in '04, I was amazed at how familiar it felt in terms of visual environment. America colonized my imagination. I'm not complaining about that. I let it happen willingly.

I've made many American friends over the years. I find it's way more satisfying discussing with Americans online than with French people, in general. Debate is less of a pissing / insult contest. It can be but not automatically.

Now... if I only saw America from TV news, it'd be scary. Luckily, I stopped watching the news.

A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 06:18:33 AM »
Just never really seen what all the fuss is about.

I suppose if you live there or you imbibe the culture then like most places it has some amazing things about it.

It also of course (again like all places) has some absolutely horrible things about it.

It's sheer size etc gives it a huge profile, but i personally have never really looked to it culturally much.

Being totally honest it's 'we are the worlds police' attitude and the President being called the 'leader of the free world' mildly irritates me, but other than that i am pretty non plussed about it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:21:41 AM by an tha »

JTBaby

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 11:06:08 AM »
You have to be here to really understand it.

There's good and bad, just like everywhere else.

In many way it's still an immature country, but that immaturity and newly found sense of freedom (relatively speaking) is what fuels the impetus and innovation that doesn't exist in more rigid societies.

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
ďAlbums still matter,Ē he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. ďLike books and black lives"