In My Alt U2-niverse....

• 19 Replies

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
In My Alt U2-niverse....
« on: June 27, 2020, 08:28:55 PM »
As some of you know, I have an active imagination when it comes to U2 (I love editing songs and creating new mixes, I like to turn official albums into playlists with track lists and covers that I design, etc.). So I thought I'd share a couple of ways that my own alt U2-niverse differs from what happened in the real world:

1. Rattle and Hum, instead of consisting of live tracks and stuff recorded on the Joshua Tree Tour, is a collection of studio tracks from the JT sessions as well as from Sun Studios and the Point Depot during the tour. So it contains songs like Heartland and Hawkmoon, but also things like Deep in the Heart and Luminous Times. A double album consisting of the best R&H studio tracks AND the JT B-sides would have been a much better offering than what we actually got.

2. In between Zooropa and Pop, U2 released an experimental album called Novelty Act. This album consists of some ambient non-LP tracks like Beautiful Ghost, Alex Descends into Hell, and I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub Edit) as well as OS1 songs like Slug, One Minute Warning, and Always Forever Now. There's enough material from this period for the band to have put out an actual U2 album that would have been sick.

3. In 2000 U2 released an album called Beautiful Day, consisting of the least-bad tracks from the Behind/Bomb eras, such as Kite, Grace, New York, Smile, Summer Rain, and Electrical Storm.

4. U2's next album is titled Between Midnight and Dawning, consisting of the best material from the NLOTH era (MOS, Cedars, Disappearing Act, etc.).

5. U2 ends their career with two albums: Songs of Innocence and Experience, and Man. The former consists of some of the best material from SOI/E (The Troubles, Crystal Ballroom, The Little Things), while the latter, U2's final album, consists of much of the solid ambient/experimental stuff from the post-Pop period, such as Being Born, TGBHF, Stateless, BOYH, SLABT, and All We Have Left. Due to the down-tempo and alternative nature of this album, it was intended to be supported by a tour.

What about you? If you could alter reality and tweak U2's career a bit, what would it look like?
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Re: In My Alt U2-niverse....
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 08:54:00 PM »
As some of you know, I have an active imagination when it comes to U2 (I love editing songs and creating new mixes, I like to turn official albums into playlists with track lists and covers that I design, etc.). So I thought I'd share a couple of ways that my own alt U2-niverse differs from what happened in the real world:

1. Rattle and Hum, instead of consisting of live tracks and stuff recorded on the Joshua Tree Tour, is a collection of studio tracks from the JT sessions as well as from Sun Studios and the Point Depot during the tour. So it contains songs like Heartland and Hawkmoon, but also things like Deep in the Heart and Luminous Times. A double album consisting of the best R&H studio tracks AND the JT B-sides would have been a much better offering than what we actually got.

2. In between Zooropa and Pop, U2 released an experimental album called Novelty Act. This album consists of some ambient non-LP tracks like Beautiful Ghost, Alex Descends into Hell, and I'm Not Your Baby (Skysplitter Dub Edit) as well as OS1 songs like Slug, One Minute Warning, and Always Forever Now. There's enough material from this period for the band to have put out an actual U2 album that would have been sick.

3. In 2000 U2 released an album called Beautiful Day, consisting of the least-bad tracks from the Behind/Bomb eras, such as Kite, Grace, New York, Smile, Summer Rain, and Electrical Storm.

4. U2's next album is titled Between Midnight and Dawning, consisting of the best material from the NLOTH era (MOS, Cedars, Disappearing Act, etc.).

5. U2 ends their career with two albums: Songs of Innocence and Experience, and Man. The former consists of some of the best material from SOI/E (The Troubles, Crystal Ballroom, The Little Things), while the latter, U2's final album, consists of much of the solid ambient/experimental stuff from the post-Pop period, such as Being Born, TGBHF, Stateless, BOYH, SLABT, and All We Have Left. Due to the down-tempo and alternative nature of this album, it was intended to be supported by a tour.

What about you? If you could alter reality and tweak U2's career a bit, what would it look like?

I do like your no. 1 a lot.

No. 5: wasnít this what you had as Songs of Ascent in the past?
First Chair. Last Call.

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
Since i have joined the Pop cult, i think in my alt u2-niverse i escape to some faraway place which might be heaven or some other planet, everyone is beautiful and everything is a fantasy

while things are unusual and different there, ufo's are not a big deal and anyone can fly in them

also we journey to an island in the middle of the sea where u2 lives

it's a fantastic island and they have the popmart stage setup all of the time.  u2 aren't really that big of a deal to the people who live on the island, they are just "neighbors on the island" or common folk to them

but when everyone shows up in our boats, u2 leave the pub and decide to put on a really special show for us with their massive stage and giant lemon, it makes for a really grand evening for all involved

and then the next day we all go on about our business of being normal everyday people back in our own world and the fantasy is over
there are demons in the broad day light

THRILLHO

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »
my alt-R&H which ive used for about 10 years

U2 - Desire

1. Van Diemens Land <edited to exclude the crowd noise at the start and interview segment at the end>
2. Desire
3. God pt. 2
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. Sweet Fire of Love <the Robbie Robertson song feat. U2 as his backing band and Bono singing, produced by Eno in 88, it's pure-R&H>
6. Heartland
7. Angel of Harlem
8. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
9. When Love Comes To Town
10. Love Resuce Me
11. Hallelujah (Here She Comes)
12. All I Want Is You
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:54:27 AM by THRILLHO »

THRILLHO

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:54:08 AM »
i'm surprised you hold Smile and LTTGYA in such high regard.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 11:55:09 AM »

Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

The Exile

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2020, 02:10:18 PM »

I do like your no. 1 a lot.

No. 5: wasnít this what you had as Songs of Ascent in the past?

Yeah, I just changed the title for this post. My actual playlist and art say SOA. Not sure which I like better.

The Exile

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2020, 02:12:40 PM »
Since i have joined the Pop cult, i think in my alt u2-niverse i escape to some faraway place which might be heaven or some other planet, everyone is beautiful and everything is a fantasy

while things are unusual and different there, ufo's are not a big deal and anyone can fly in them

it's a fantastic island and they have the popmart stage setup all of the time.  u2 aren't really that big of a deal to the people who live on the island, they are just "neighbors on the island" or common folk to them

but when everyone shows up in our boats, u2 leave the pub and decide to put on a really special show for us with their massive stage and giant lemon, it makes for a really grand evening for all involved

and then the next day we all go on about our business of being normal everyday people back in our own world and the fantasy is over

Haha, I'd give my left leg to have Bono from '97 perform a PopMart show using Bono from '92's vocal chords.

The Exile

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
my alt-R&H which ive used for about 10 years

U2 - Desire

1. Van Diemens Land <edited to exclude the crowd noise at the start and interview segment at the end>
2. Desire
3. God pt. 2
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. Sweet Fire of Love <the Robbie Robertson song feat. U2 as his backing band and Bono singing, produced by Eno in 88, it's pure-R&H>
6. Heartland
7. Angel of Harlem
8. A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
9. When Love Comes To Town
10. Love Resuce Me
11. Hallelujah (Here She Comes)
12. All I Want Is You

That's pretty solid. SFOL is amazing (as is that whole album). Not gonna lie, I wouldn't miss WLCTT or LRM if you nixed 'em.

The Exile

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 02:17:35 PM »
i'm surprised you hold Smile and LTTGYA in such high regard.

Well I wouldn't say that  ;D . Smile is as good as just about anything on Behind or Bomb though.

Magnificence

• the heaven you keep = you stole
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 03:04:21 PM »

Haha, I'd give my left leg to have Bono from '97 perform a PopMart show using Bono from '92's vocal chords.

It is quite the spectacle. In my alt u2-niverse the show is very magical and powerful, it even feels like the 'last night on earth' which is funny because it's not really earth. But they play the song anyways...

And the ufo onscreen landing is actually a real ufo landing on the island, not that we in attendance notice such a thing, as we're a bit out of our minds and there is so much going on to see in the heavens above and how it blends into the sound below.

The show itself is not without a few quirks and miscues, literally these guys were content at the beach-side pub until the armada of boats and other vessels overtake the island and coerce them to play. A bit of rust here and there, some forgotten lyrics, maybe the screen goes dark or someone trips over an electrical chord and the sound goes out for a bit ("Uh-Oh!"), and the lemon is at times temperamental.

And yet it's still the strongest and most powerful performance you've ever seen. Every moment of this transports you to another dimension, every soul is linked by a universal force greater than human understanding.

The album Pop has a rainbow on it for a reason i suppose. Are they celebrating LGBTQ persons? Is it a subtle reminder to God of his divine promise that he would never again destroy the earth with a flood? Or is it a deeper dive into the ironic nature of the album and the band themselves at the time of release, with Flood having produced a good portion of the album and several songs address God and Jesus directly?

For some, rainbows are less about the religious significance or unity and simply a symbol of peace and serenity. Perhaps we look too much into things sometimes, after all, aren't we just brilliant colors in the spectrum of light, looking for a few drops of salvation?
there are demons in the broad day light

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 03:44:35 PM »
In my alt-U2 verse, the band dramatically scaled things down regarding live shows, after ZOO TV, realizing they could never top it.

Pop's tour, "from dusk til dawn" was a dark, industrial tour with a minimal stage (similar to the Unforgettable Fire tour) and abstract visuals, just here to set the mood for Bono's new character, "the crooner".

U2 followed this with a handful of experimental albums, one of them being 100% electro (no guitars, no drums), Bono becoming a master in the lower tones of his voice.

They're now contemplating going folk as they are aging.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

The Exile

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 04:48:50 PM »
In my alt-U2 verse, the band dramatically scaled things down regarding live shows, after ZOO TV, realizing they could never top it.

Pop's tour, "from dusk til dawn" was a dark, industrial tour with a minimal stage (similar to the Unforgettable Fire tour) and abstract visuals, just here to set the mood for Bono's new character, "the crooner".

U2 followed this with a handful of experimental albums, one of them being 100% electro (no guitars, no drums), Bono becoming a master in the lower tones of his voice.

They're now contemplating going folk as they are aging.

Haha I like it!

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »
In mine...it all goes how it goes (minus rattle and hum the movie) up until the end of the Popmart tour.

In 99 they release an album that is very electronica focused called "America? Whatever"

The band then go on a 10 year hiatus before re-emerging in 2009 playing a number of guerilla gigs across Eastern Europe just playing tracks from what is revelealed on New Years Day 2010 as their new album "The middle of the road"  which is an album of "Punk Rock from one of the 10 bedrooms in one of our Mansions"....

They then retire from making albums only to reappear a few times a year playing guerilla gigs at town and country shows and old peoples homes.

THRILLHO

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2020, 05:21:53 PM »
"America? Whatever" is the an thas best post yet