Tibetan Freedom Concert - 1997

• 10 Replies

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« on: June 26, 2020, 03:08:52 AM »

I remember seeing this at the time and thinking how U2 seemed to be out of place among the newest acts (Radiohead, BjŲrk...), the fact that Bono definitely tried too hard with the attitude, picking on Liam Gallgher's wanker vibe...

In retrospect, I think this show has surprisingly good moments : Until the end of the world, Please... They really work. I always have goosebumps when B sings for the late Jeff Buckley.

I find it interesting that it's U2 at their most exposed, vulnerable : no screens, very little backing tracks, Edge is not using his usual rig. And they can manage ! I think this is a very small sample of what a scaled down, almost intimate POP tour could have been. I really think it could have worked.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Codeguy

• In the shadows
Re: Tibetan Freedom Concert - 1997
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 08:36:50 AM »
It was a great show, for sure.
-------

riffraff

• dreaming someone elses dream
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 09:15:23 AM »
Yes, great show. Edge seems to be putting extra effort into it...due to missing his normal rig?
If the sky can crack there must be someway back

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 09:23:35 AM »
Right from the off though the piped in Gone riff.....it never used to bother me, but as i have got older it really does!

riffraff

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 09:25:37 AM »
Right from the off though the piped in Gone riff.....it never used to bother me, but as i have got older it really does!
Gee, really?

an tha

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 09:47:13 AM »
Gee, really?

Yeah, it's bullshit - especially from the 'worlds greatest live band'

riffraff

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 09:52:59 AM »
Gee, really?

whatev

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »
Gee, really?

I could be wrong but... itís a very specific effect that Edge used for both Mofo and Gone, in the studio.

He uses the effect with a Les Paul on Mofo, then he doesnít use it on Gone. He plays the other parts using a Rickenbaker. 12 strings.

Of course I could be wrong but my guess is that the effect doesnít work great with the 12 strings Rickenbaker, hence he chose to use a pre recorded track.

In that particular case, I would have liked for Edge to use another guitar and keep using the effect, especially for the part after the break... it sounds truly great on record

Of course the band didnít feel the same as they recorded the live version of Gone in a studio for the best of 1990-2000. I donít like it.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

an tha

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2020, 03:13:24 PM »
Gee, really?

I could be wrong but... itís a very specific effect that Edge used for both Mofo and Gone, in the studio.

He uses the effect with a Les Paul on Mofo, then he doesnít use it on Gone. He plays the other parts using a Rickenbaker. 12 strings.

Of course I could be wrong but my guess is that the effect doesnít work great with the 12 strings Rickenbaker, hence he chose to use a pre recorded track.

In that particular case, I would have liked for Edge to use another guitar and keep using the effect, especially for the part after the break... it sounds truly great on record

Of course the band didnít feel the same as they recorded the live version of Gone in a studio for the best of 1990-2000. I donít like it.

I have no idea at all why the parts he plays on Gone call for a 12 string - but hey!

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2020, 06:48:56 PM »
Feels like Bono can't get in his role. But there seems to be something wrong with the sound. Lot of peeps, I think it was during concert also not a high quality, which could cause discomfort for the band.

Glad to see this side of the band, though. But I think it's overall bad. Like they got last minute called to play.
See through in the sunlight

pearljamfm

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 10:47:25 AM »
pretty strange appearance IMO  ::)