30 years, 30,songs, in 30 days - 1996

• 14 Replies

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
30 years, 30,songs, in 30 days - 1996
« on: June 10, 2020, 06:20:40 AM »
1979 - Smashing Pumpkins

Iím more in the casual camp when it comes to SP, but that song was huge for me back then.
First Chair. Last Call.

riffraff

• And it covers me in fear
Re: 30 years, 30,songs, in 30 days - 1996
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 07:00:00 AM »
Stupid Girl, Garbage
Sometimes Iím full of anger and grieving, so far away from believing that any sun will reappear

julez728

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 07:48:05 AM »
Champagne Supernova - Oasis
I feel my luck could change.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »
Honourable mentions to the following songs:

Bionic - Placebo
Nancy Boy - Placebo
E-Bow The Letter - REM
Call The Doctor - Sleater Kinney
Trash - Suede
Setting Sun - The Chemical Brothers
That Was My Veil - John Parish and PJ Harvey

But the best album of 1996 for me was released by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds -"Murder Ballads" and on it was a song that featured a certain PJ Harvey.....

"Henry Lee" - was the best song of 96 in my book:

How could it not be, it is just spellbinding - it is just magnificent.

"Young Hunting" is a traditional folk song, Roud 47, catalogued by Francis James Child as Child Ballad number 68,[1] and has its origin in Scotland.[2] Like most traditional songs, numerous variants of the song exist worldwide, notably under the title of "Henry Lee" and "Love Henry" in the United States[3] and "Earl Richard" and sometimes "The Proud Girl" in the United Kingdom.

The song, which can be traced back as far as the 18th century, narrates the tale of the eponymous protagonist, Young Hunting, who tells a woman, who may have borne him a child, that he is in love with another, more beautiful woman. Despite this, she persuades him to drink until he is drunk, then to come to her bedroom, or at least kiss her farewell. The woman then stabs him to death. She throws his body in the river ó sometimes with the help of one of the other women of the town, whom she bribes with a diamond ring ó and is taunted by a bird. She tries to lure the bird down from the tree but it tells her that she will kill it if it comes within reach. When the search for Young Hunting starts, she either denies seeing him or claims that he left earlier, but when Hunting's remains are found, in order to revoke her guilt, she reveals that she murdered him and is later burned at the stake. Nick Cave, who covered the song, referred to the song as "a story about the fury of a scorned woman.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:41:57 AM by an tha »

financeguy1

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 08:54:38 AM »
Only Happy When it Rains - Garbage

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 09:59:12 AM »

Bionic - Placebo
Nancy Boy - Placebo
E-Bow The Letter - REM
Trash - Suede

But the best album of 1996 for me was released by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds -"Murder Ballads" and on it was a song that featured a certain PJ Harvey.....

"Young Hunting" is a traditional folk song, Roud 47, catalogued by Francis James Child as Child Ballad number 68,[1] and has its origin in Scotland.[2] Like most traditional songs, numerous variants of the song exist worldwide, notably under the title of "Henry Lee" and "Love Henry" in the United States[3] and "Earl Richard" and sometimes "The Proud Girl" in the United Kingdom.

The song, which can be traced back as far as the 18th century, narrates the tale of the eponymous protagonist, Young Hunting, who tells a woman, who may have borne him a child, that he is in love with another, more beautiful woman. Despite this, she persuades him to drink until he is drunk, then to come to her bedroom, or at least kiss her farewell. The woman then stabs him to death. She throws his body in the river ó sometimes with the help of one of the other women of the town, whom she bribes with a diamond ring ó and is taunted by a bird. She tries to lure the bird down from the tree but it tells her that she will kill it if it comes within reach. When the search for Young Hunting starts, she either denies seeing him or claims that he left earlier, but when Hunting's remains are found, in order to revoke her guilt, she reveals that she murdered him and is later burned at the stake. Nick Cave, who covered the song, referred to the song as "a story about the fury of a scorned woman.

Somehow, PJ sneaks in!  :P
First Chair. Last Call.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 10:04:20 AM »

Bionic - Placebo
Nancy Boy - Placebo
E-Bow The Letter - REM
Trash - Suede

Somehow, PJ sneaks in!  :P

I am working on 1997.... ;)

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »
REM - EBow the Letter
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

JTNash

Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

JTBaby

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 04:38:52 PM »
Work it out - Def Leppard
"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
ďAlbums still matter,Ē he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. ďLike books and black lives"

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »
Many good albums in 96, but none great.

My pick :

Londinium - Archive

1997 is going to be impossible to choose.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Pride

• Soul wind blow
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 10:47:50 PM »
Sherpa by The Tragically Hip or Time and Motion by Rush. Impossible to pick for me.
Wake your reason's hollow vote, wear your blizzard season coat

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"

JTNash

Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire