Albums that badly need remastered?

• 9 Replies

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
Albums that badly need remastered?
« on: June 06, 2020, 11:02:24 AM »
What are albums that you feel badly need remastered?

I will start with Stiff Little Finger - Inflammable Material. My CD copy of it sounds so tinnie, with little in the way of bottom end on it. I listened to the album on Spotify last week and it sounds pretty much the same.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
Re: Albums that badly need remastered?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 09:00:21 AM »
Seems like im the only one here fussy about the sound quality of music.
You

guest532

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 09:09:48 AM »
All of Prince's albums from 1978 through to 1992.  So far only Purple Rain and 1999 have been officially remastered and reissued.  Both are superb quality.  I have all the albums remastered by DJ Foefur on bootleg but they weren't remastered using the master tapes and so they don't sound as good as official remasters, but they're significantly better than the current official non-remastered CDs on the market.  Warner Bros. really need to remaster and reissue them all.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »
All of Prince's albums from 1978 through to 1992.  So far only Purple Rain and 1999 have been officially remastered and reissued.  Both are superb quality.  I have all the albums remastered by DJ Foefur on bootleg but they weren't remastered using the master tapes and so they don't sound as good as official remasters, but they're significantly better than the current official non-remastered CDs on the market.  Warner Bros. really need to remaster and reissue them all.

I just commented about how i was listening to Sign O The Times album this afternoon, on Spotify. Some songs were loud and vibrant sounding others were quiet and flat sounding. Almost as tho they had taken the recording from multiple sources. So frustrating
You

guest532

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 02:14:22 PM »

I just commented about how i was listening to Sign O The Times album this afternoon, on Spotify. Some songs were loud and vibrant sounding others were quiet and flat sounding. Almost as tho they had taken the recording from multiple sources. So frustrating

DJ Foefur's bootleg remaster sounds better than the official CD release.  Like most things the original vinyl album may sound better as well.  The Ballad of Dorothy Parker sounds dull and murky because there was a technical problem with Prince's home studio when he recorded it.  It was only after he'd finished the session that his sound engineer detected the cause of the problem, but Prince liked the way it sounded and so he kept it.  It's one of my favourite Prince songs, top ten anyway.

Alphane

• This space left blank intentionally
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »
Would it kill U2 to properly remaster their 90's albums? Achtung Baby and Zooropa were supposedly remastered back in 2011 but it sure doesn't sound like it. At least the vinyl reissues sound great.

I also think Radiohead's Pablo Honey and The Bends could use some touching up.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:55:39 PM by Alphane »

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 02:59:51 PM »
Would it kill U2 to properly remaster their 90's albums? Achtung Baby and Zooropa were supposedly remastered back in 2011 but it sure doesn't sound like it. At least the vinyl reissues sound great.

The remastered CD's in the 20th anniversary reissue of AB sound a lot better than the original CD's from the 90's.
First Chair. Last Call.

guest532

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 03:02:46 PM »

According to MPare, there was no market for CDs so it would have been a waste of time reissuing the CDs in remastered form at the same time as the vinyl.  Interestingly enough, in 2019 Chris Rea's most popular albums were rereleased freshly remastered in CD form.

guest532

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »

The remastered CD's in the 20th anniversary reissue of AB sound a lot better than the original CD's from the 90's.

Achtung Baby was only "sonically tweaked" and Zooropa was untouched.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 03:15:34 PM »

Achtung Baby was only "sonically tweaked" and Zooropa was untouched.

Both were tweaked and sonically boosted in 2011. I know, I have both versions of the 2 albums.

I will grant you that it was not a full remastering job, but it did improve greatly over the muddy 90's CD's.

And yes, the market for CD's is currently dying. That's why they only went with vinyl reissues in 2018, because (newsflash!) they're in it for the money.
First Chair. Last Call.