Creating the 360 tour doco

• 27 Replies

The Edges Cat

The Edge: ď[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ĎYou know what? Weíre not going to second-guess any of this. Letís just go for it.íĒ

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

riffraff

• Stolen days you donít give back
Re: Creating the 360 tour doco
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 06:59:39 PM »
This is a fun watch. I remember when I was buying the 360 dvd...trying to decide if the extra money would be worth spending on the extras or if I should just buy the show. The extras were worth it.
Iíve seen for myself, thereís no end to grief, thatís how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 03:02:36 PM »
I think the 360 tour was easily the worst of their stadium tours. It was done at a time when demand for U2 tickets was so high that they couldn't satisfy it with traditional stages so they resorted to a stage that was specifically designed to accommodate as many people as possible, with little thought as to the experience each individual person would have. Remember, the band planned the tour during the heady days of the real estate bubble, but the tour didn't start until 2009, when the entire global economy had collapsed. Had that not happened, the tour would have had even higher demand, perhaps as much as 20-30% more. They were looking at failing to meet demand yet again after the fiasco of the Vertigo tour where many fans ended up paying thousands on the black market for tickets. They had set a record for highest grossing tour with Vertigo, and the Rolling Stones then came along and topped it, so there was also the ego thing of getting the label of biggest-tour-of-all-time going on.

In their rush to meet demand, they lost the crowd. The show in the Rose Bowl had some good moments, but it highlights just how far the band was from the average audience member.

I loved the experience (I saw the show in meadowlands from near the front) but I couldn't help but notice just how bad an experience the people behind the stage much have had.
-------

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:11:55 PM »
Agree.

The claw dwarfed them and without any kind of background on the stage they looked even more ant like than usually do in a stadium

The screen was too small to be a good addition in that respect and unlike a back/side screen to look at it you had to divert eyes away from stage too much.

I was told be people who were in the front bit that they could not see screen at all, except for when it dropped and then it was just lights wasn't it...?

The claw legs etc took up loads of floor space amd broke up the mass of humanity too much and created bad views for people in seats.

IMO an awful set up - not helped by mediocre performances at shows i attended.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:32:13 PM »
Agree.

The claw dwarfed them and without any kind of background on the stage they looked even more ant like than usually do in a stadium

The screen was too small to be a good addition in that respect and unlike a back/side screen to look at it you had to divert eyes away from stage too much.

I was told be people who were in the front bit that they could not see screen at all, except for when it dropped and then it was just lights wasn't it...?

The claw legs etc took up loads of floor space amd broke up the mass of humanity too much and created bad views for people in seats.

Some of the European leg performances were the worst - especially the early days when they hadn't figured out how to use the stage. By the time I saw them, the performances were really good, and there was nothing like witnessing 90,000 people singing ISHFWILF or streets, but once they went into the lesser known song and relied on the stage to do its thing, I can't help but feel that most casual fans were bored and those at the back were too far from the action.

I could see the screen OK, but fans inside the red zone right in front of me couldn't.
-------

riffraff

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
And, yet...some of us would give our left tit to have been there...
Iíve seen for myself, thereís no end to grief, thatís how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love

an tha

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:57:35 PM »
Agree.

Some of the European leg performances were the worst - especially the early days when they hadn't figured out how to use the stage. By the time I saw them, the performances were really good, and there was nothing like witnessing 90,000 people singing ISHFWILF or streets, but once they went into the lesser known song and relied on the stage to do its thing, I can't help but feel that most casual fans were bored and those at the back were too far from the action.

I could see the screen OK, but fans inside the red zone right in front of me couldn't.

I tgought they were shite in Dublin and i really mean shite, not just me being 'negative' i found it genuinely shite.

The big open Hill 16 and houses etc behind them did not help in the daylight part of it, but whole gig was just shite for me.

Worst i have seen them.

Cardiff was better to be fair.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »
Agree.

I tgought they were shite in Dublin and i really mean shite, not just me being 'negative' i found it genuinely shite.

The big open Hill 16 and houses etc behind them did not help in the daylight part of it, but whole gig was just shite for me.

Worst i have seen them.

Yeah I watched the Dublin gigs online and couldn't stomach them. Breathe was a dreadful opener, and the daylight sucked.

Croke park is an odd stadium too, with three sides being huge and then the Hill making it feel like you're right on top of the neighbors.

Oh, and the idea that Hill 16 is built from the rubble from the 1916 Easter rising? That's bullshit. It's a nice story, but it isn't true.
-------

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 07:06:17 PM »
You'd have asked for yer tit back, Riffy. It was dreadful. Worst part was Bono forgetting the lyrics to Auld Triangle. I think it's written in the Irish constitution that you can lose your citizenship for that.
-------

riffraff

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 07:12:56 PM »
You'd have asked for yer tit back, Riffy. It was dreadful. Worst part was Bono forgetting the lyrics to Auld Triangle. I think it's written in the Irish constitution that you can lose your citizenship for that.
Well, Bono's dastardliness  aside, I still wish I could have been there. I missed way too much...

an tha

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
Agree.

Worst i have seen them.

Yeah I watched the Dublin gigs online and couldn't stomach them. Breathe was a dreadful opener, and the daylight sucked.

Croke park is an odd stadium too, with three sides being huge and then the Hill making it feel like you're right on top of the neighbors.

Oh, and the idea that Hill 16 is built from the rubble from the 1916 Easter rising? That's bullshit. It's a nice story, but it isn't true.

Yeah Croker as your lot call it is an odd place  for reasons you stated...

Do people actually believe that shite??

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 07:32:17 PM »

I don't think so anymore, but there is a tendency to romanticize the 1916 rising.
-------

an tha

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »

I don't think so anymore, but there is a tendency to romanticize the 1916 rising.

I sort of get that....

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 07:44:09 PM »

I sort of get that....
Speaking of which, when is scouseland going to rise up and overthrow their oppressor?  ;D
-------

an tha

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 07:45:08 PM »

I sort of get that....
Speaking of which, when is scouseland going to rise up and overthrow their oppressor?  ;D

When i move back to the Peoples Rebublic of Liverpool....about another 10 years.