BBC to show classic Glastonbury sets...no mention of u2.

• 45 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
BBC to show classic Glastonbury sets...no mention of u2.
« on: May 26, 2020, 08:08:40 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52807518

I wonder if u2 somehow own their set and won't release it - or the beeb just don't see it as a good one to show......or they just haven't mentioned them here....

The BBC is to broadcast classic Glastonbury performances this year in the music festival's absence.

Previous headline sets from Beyoncé, Adele, Coldplay, David Bowie and Jay-Z will be shown on BBC Two and BBC Four.

A new pop-up channel will also appear on BBC iPlayer, which will feature more than 60 historic sets.

This year's festival, which was due to feature Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Sir Paul McCartney, was cancelled amid the coronavirus pandemic.

More than 200,000 people, including 135,000 ticket-holders, would have descended on Worthy Farm in Somerset if the festival had gone ahead from 25 to 28 June.

Clara Amfo, Edith Bowman, Jo Whiley, Lauren Laverne and Mark Radcliffe will host four days of programming across the BBC.

At the centre of the BBC coverage will be three 90-minute programmes on BBC Two, broadcast on Friday 26, Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 June.

They will feature performances from Amy Winehouse, Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Dizzee Rascal, Lady Gaga, PJ Harvey, R.E.M. and The Rolling Stones.

Additional programming on BBC Four will feature some of the most memorable acoustic performances filmed in the BBC compound at previous festivals - including Ed Sheeran, Dua Lipa, Kano, Leon Bridges, Patti Smith, Richie Havens and Youssou N'Dour.

Archive performances will also be played across BBC radio stations and available on the BBC Sounds app.

Organiser Emily Eavis will be interviewed by Lauren Laverne on her BBC 6 Music show on Friday 26 June.

Lorna Clarke, the controller of BBC Pop said: "Even though Worthy Farm can't be full of thousands of music lovers this year, the BBC will celebrate with four days of memories and archive footage to give our audience a taste of the festival in their own homes."

Eavis added: "There are so many memorable sets being played across the BBC over what would have been our 50th anniversary weekend.

"Personally, I'm looking forward to a weekend of reflecting on the history of our festival and going back to some classic performances from David Bowie, Adele, REM, Beyoncé, The Rolling Stones, Jay-Z, Billie Eilish and lots more.

"Me and my dad will definitely be watching!"

I really hope it is Polly's epic 1995 set!  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:10:59 PM by an tha »

an tha

Re: BBC to show classic Glastonbury sets...no mention of u2.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 08:15:08 PM »
No mention of Radiohead either and they have some of the most well received Glastonbury shows in history under their belt....

riffraff

• Stolen days you don’t give back
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:23:04 PM »
I see your girl PJ is listed, an tha!
I’ve seen for myself, there’s no end to grief, that’s how I know, and why I need to know that there is no end to love

guest532

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 08:24:42 PM »
No mention of Radiohead either and they have some of the most well received Glastonbury shows in history under their belt....

They did an awesome set a few years ago, the one they opened with Daydreaming.  And I'm not even a fan of the band.

U2 were, for want of a better word, sterile.

an tha

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »
I see your girl PJ is listed, an tha!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:39:16 PM by an tha »

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:51:18 PM »
I'd watch Shakira's set again.   😍😍😍😍

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 08:54:03 PM »

They did an awesome set a few years ago, the one they opened with Daydreaming.  And I'm not even a fan of the band.

Glastonbury was a dreadful show for U2. Dreadful
-------

an tha

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 09:02:27 PM »

Glastonbury was a dreadful show for U2. Dreadful

Fish out of water sadly

Somewhere along the way after years and years of these highly produced 'shows' with lots of augmentation, an army of people to do things a certain way exactly the same way down to the last tiny detail night after night - they have forgotten how to be a rock n roll band and plug and play.

For me u2 should have rocked up at Glastonbury and plugged in and played a unique set, sadly they didn't/couldn't and tried to replicate mostly what they had been doing night afrer night in their own heavily controlled environment (the first 4 songs for example were exactly the same as 2 nights earlier on a 360 show) and it just did not transmit in that different environment....especially when having to slum it in a shared backstage area some DJ crashed his gear into theirs and they lost the use of a computer that had some of the backing stuff...

Oh and Bono's shoes..... ::)

https://www.nme.com/news/music/u2-161-1280994
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:18:05 PM by an tha »

The Edges Cat

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 09:07:24 PM »
Geez, they did play a new song, Glastonbury.  ::)
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

an tha

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 09:09:47 PM »

Although not at the Glastonbury show!

The Edges Cat

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 09:12:32 PM »

Wait, where did they perform it?
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

an tha

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 09:13:08 PM »

Wait, where did they perform it?

Honestly do not know, but definitely not at Glastonbury.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 09:14:27 PM »
Geezus, I'm going bonkers. Could have sworn they played it there.

an tha

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 09:15:34 PM »
Geezus, I'm going bonkers. Could have sworn they played it there.

Here you go, kitty cat!!

https://www.u2songs.com/demos/glastonbury

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world