Donít You Forget About Me - 35 today

• 17 Replies

The Edges Cat

The Edge: ď[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ĎYou know what? Weíre not going to second-guess any of this. Letís just go for it.íĒ

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
Re: Donít You Forget About Me - 35 today
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 09:30:50 PM »
I always liked that song...
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

guest532

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
I like the Breakfast Club.

mariamontreal

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 09:51:59 PM »
Love Simple Minds brings back memories of times past seen them a few times back then in Montreal.
She moves in mysterious ways

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 03:17:30 AM »
Itís funny because they made it one of SMís anthems but it wasnít one of their songs, originally.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 07:10:26 AM »
Itís funny because they made it one of SMís anthems but it wasnít one of their songs, originally.
I didn't know that. But, to be honest, I don't know much about them...just a couple of songs.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

THRILLHO

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 06:28:07 PM »
TBC is one of the few Hughes films i can stomach as an adult.

Simple Minds hates the song of course.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 03:33:28 AM »
Quote from: THRILLHO link=topic=4880.msg254871#msg254871 date=1590445687
Simple Minds hates the song of course.
[/quote

It must be hard for them to admit that the song that put them on the map was the one they didn't even write...

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 06:41:34 AM »

It must be hard for them to admit that the song that put them on the map was the one they didn't even write...

Maria above alluded to some concerts in Montreal. The one when they were supporting SITR happened around the time DYFAM was a big radio hit over here. They almost were booed out of stage when they played it. I remember Kerr telling the crowd to fuck off.
First Chair. Last Call.

JTNash

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 12:35:50 PM »
I love this song, and the Breakfast Club

this song really is the Generation X anthem
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 06:34:49 PM »

Maria above alluded to some concerts in Montreal. The one when they were supporting SITR happened around the time DYFAM was a big radio hit over here. They almost were booed out of stage when they played it. I remember Kerr telling the crowd to fuck off.

Well, before DYFAM, they were probably considered as a cult band in North America, new wave, European, etc... Iím pretty sure some fans of the early albums (up to New Gold Dream) probably saw that as selling out.

I think Nirvana experienced the same thing for Smells like Teen Spirit, and itís clear that Kurt Cobain failed to handle success...

MPare1966

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 08:45:57 PM »

Well, before DYFAM, they were probably considered as a cult band in North America, new wave, European, etc... Iím pretty sure some fans of the early albums (up to New Gold Dream) probably saw that as selling out.

I think Nirvana experienced the same thing for Smells like Teen Spirit, and itís clear that Kurt Cobain failed to handle success...

Absolutely. Their previous Montreal gigs had gained them a huge following here, and Iím talking before NGD. The snobby fans thought they had sold out. Personally I liked the song back then and I was OK that it was played.

Unfortunately, that show was down the drain once the booing happened mid-way...
First Chair. Last Call.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 09:12:13 PM »
Brian Ferry and Billy Idol both knocked the song back, so no wonder Simple Minds hate it.
The Edge: ď[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ĎYou know what? Weíre not going to second-guess any of this. Letís just go for it.íĒ

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

MPare1966

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 09:22:15 PM »
Brian Ferry and Billy Idol both knocked the song back, so no wonder Simple Minds hate it.

They did play it over a 1000 times. Must really hate it.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/simple-minds-73d6ba71.html?song=Don%27t+You+%28Forget+About+Me%29
First Chair. Last Call.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 07:31:13 AM »
In the mid to late 80s...i thought DYFAM was Fantastic. But, going back quite a while here, i have felt much the same way towards the song as i do towards the likes of Beautiful Day, Vertigo and Elevavtion. . . . and that isnt hugely positive
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world