30 days song challenge : day 27

• 14 Replies

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
30 days song challenge : day 27
« on: May 22, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
Day 27 : "a song with Bono's best performance"

I'm gonna choose the single version of Walk On. I'm not sure if Bono wanted to impress Nigel Godrich (producer) for future recordings, but I think this is his best performance, thechnically speaking. In terms of intensity, I would have chosen Bad...

A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

riffraff

• I'll be up with the sun
Re: 30 days song challenge : day 27
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
what you leave behind you don't miss anyway

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 10:46:50 AM »
I'm going for this....mostly sung in the lower register where his voice is much better and he manages to convey a depth without resorting to yelping and over egging it.

Worth keeping in mind the vocals here were done in 08/09 - in that regard it's a great effort and for me that makes it worthy of this choice for me...a great performance dredged up from a singer in terminal decline (if not totally in terms of ability, then certainly for me in terms of how he sings/chooses to sing) - that makes it special.

They fit really well with the then 25 year old music too, no mean feat - Bono sounding rich and deep and capturing and conveying the feel really well, without resorting to all the bad things he does in the 00's.

Maybe his last truly great recorded work.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:52:15 AM by an tha »

guest532

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:47:06 AM »
I like a crooner, so I'm going to go for Stay.  Album version.

laoghaire

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 11:03:22 AM »
I guess I'll go with Heartland - a lot of range in both pitch and intensity, and amazing storytelling through inflection.

riffraff

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
I'm going for this....mostly sung in the lower register where his voice is much better and he manages to convey a depth without resorting to yelping and over egging it.

Worth keeping in mind the vocals here were done in 08/09 - in that regard it's a great effort and for me that makes it worthy of this choice for me...a great performance dredged up from a singer in terminal decline (if not totally in terms of ability, then certainly for me in terms of how he sings/chooses to sing) - that makes it special.

They fit really well with the then 25 year old music too, no mean feat - Bono sounding rich and deep and capturing and conveying the feel really well, without resorting to all the bad things he does in the 00's.

Maybe his last truly great recorded work.

Great choice...I actually considered that one for my vote.

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
Kite

riffraff

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »
Kite
From Slane Castle? yeaaaaaaaaaaaah

Phoenix Rising

• Ut sementem feceris ita metes
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 02:13:11 PM »

The Hallelujah's are downright chilling.....screaming up to the heavens through the smoke....you're not taking me today but i am already there.

And then when you think he is done,  he pulls out a harmonica and hums a few bars.  After this magical, exhausting performance he then casually strolls or struts back to the big stage,  through the smoke,  people throwing shit at him meanwhile you get the sense that he's still lost in those heavenly notes.  The eerie sounds continue haunting the stadium as something is brewing - and you get that feeling - you know what is coming next...

My God this is why i fell in love with u2.   
Every child is a sacred gift from God

riffraff

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »

The Hallelujah's are downright chilling.....screaming up to the heavens through the smoke....you're not taking me today but i am already there.

And then when you think he is done,  he pulls out a harmonica and hums a few bars.  After this magical, exhausting performance he then casually strolls or struts back to the big stage,  through the smoke,  people throwing shit at him meanwhile you get the sense that he's still lost in those heavenly notes.  The eerie sounds continue haunting the stadium as something is brewing - and you get that feeling - you know what is coming next...

I watched that just this morning...

Phoenix Rising

• Ut sementem feceris ita metes
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 02:26:35 PM »

I watched that just this morning...

It's magical

only God could have given someone so much talent
Every child is a sacred gift from God

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 02:27:05 PM »
Always had a soft spot for Red Hill.
First Chair. Last Call.

laoghaire

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 02:49:05 PM »

Level: Holy Shit

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 06:49:18 PM »
I guess I'll go with Heartland - a lot of range in both pitch and intensity, and amazing storytelling through inflection.

Oooohhh... good choice
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Capital D

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »
Mysterious Ways with the ZooTV coda was quite amazing, though I don't think it really showcases the lower end of his range.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.