Fan letters to the band

• 21 Replies

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Fan letters to the band
« on: May 20, 2020, 12:17:56 AM »
Ever since Bono published his list of 60 songs that, apparently, saved his life, a lot of people have been writing letters to the band about how U2 “saved” them. (nice example below, from twitter).

My question then: should we do this here? Or do you feel it’s a bit cheesy?

My take: At the end of the day, we are a U2 fan forum..... So it would make sense.

First Chair. Last Call.

The Edges Cat

Re: Fan letters to the band
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 12:40:10 AM »
If this leads to U2 making interesting music again, hell yeah, I hope they're reading the letters.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 01:04:45 AM »
Dear Adam, Bono, Edge and Larry,

Some of your songs are like gifts from heaven. Others are sounds I never thought possible, from fantastical places I've never been. I'm more of a fighter than a lover, but one song in particular brings peace to my tormented heart. I can't fully explain in detail how this song affected this old scouser, but my tears are making the ink run as I pen this letter, so I'd better hurry up.

If you ever play Elevation again, just one more fucking time, just one fucking chord of that horrid shite of parasitic nightmares, I will be coming for you. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow or next week. But you better believe it, I will be coming for Bono and digging a fucking hole so deep, nothing will elevate him

Wooohooo ooooh,

An Tha
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

riffraff

• Please stay a child somewhere in your heart
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
Funny, Cat.

MPare, I'd be willing...if you get enough positive responses. I've somewhat bared my soul in different threads around here already anyway.
The end is not as fun as the start

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 07:21:16 AM »
Bono's list and letters to the artists is just him selling himself and brand u2....it's a marketing exercise.

He and the band have no interest whatsoever in hearing from 'us' (the public) in the same way....and to be fair of course they couldn't have the bandwidth to really take any notice of it all.

However if people feel like it is something they enjoy doing as a fan and it gives them pleasure to share it then hey that is cool...it is not for me personally though. Expressing thoughts and feeling etc day after day in here works for me personally.

I do however think there is mileage in parody ones like Cat has done above......
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:58:48 AM by an tha »

MPare1966

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 07:58:11 AM »
Bono's list and letters to the artists is just him selling himself and brand u2....it's a marketing exercise.

He and the band have no interest whatsoever in hearing from 'us' (the public) in the same way....and to be fair of course they couldn't have the bandwidth to really take any notice of it all.

However if people feel like it is something they enjoy doing as a fan and it gives them pleasure to share it then hey that is cool...it is not for me personally though. Expressing thoughts and feeling etc day after day in here works for me personally.

I do however think there is mileage in parody one like Cat has done above......

Agreed, that’s why I went with an open question. I’m a bit ambivalent about it for the gang in here.

And of course parody, in these times, is certainly not a bad thing!

I feel that a “letter“ about Bomb, from somewons we know may be coming...  ;D
First Chair. Last Call.

an tha

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 07:59:20 AM »

I do however think there is mileage in parody one like Cat has done above......

Agreed, that’s why I went with an open question. I’m a bit ambivalent about it for the gang in here.

And of course parody, in these times, is certainly not a bad thing!

I feel that a “letter“ about Bomb, from somewons we know may be coming...  ;D

:) :)

riffraff

• Please stay a child somewhere in your heart
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
Then my letter will remain unwritten.  ;D
Which is fine.
Really.
The end is not as fun as the start

an tha

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 08:33:32 AM »
Dearest U2,

I am writing to you today about the undisputed GREATEST album of ALL TIME - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Firstly I want to say thankyou from the bottom of my heart for this album....how can I even begin to describe to you how GREAT it is!!??

Well, let me start by reminding you about all the GRAMMY AWARDS it won.....the MILLIONS of tickets sold for the tour supporting it and the MILLIONS of copies of the album that were sold.

2005 - Vertigo WON these Grammy Awards:

Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal

Best Rock Song

Best Short Form Music Video

2006 - ALBUM OF THE YEAR

BEST ROCK ALBUM

Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own won SONG OF THE YEAR and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.

City of Blinding Lights won BEST ROCK SONG.

The joy that it has brought me telling people on u2 fan forums over the last 15 years about these awards is simply enormous....it has enabled me to WIN every argument, and WIN every discussion about what albums are the best, what songs are the best and not one person has been able to provide any sort of argument that stands up against me.

As I am sure you are aware your fan base especially in America is made up of fat, lazy people - they are nothing like you guys who play concerts for 2 hours plus and move around the stage etc, most of them just sit on their big fat asses because they are so out of shape....NOT ME though...I was dancing and singing (not as energetically as you, Bono, but i did my best) every show I went to on the tour and every show was great.

I know this because all of them SOLD OUT....every single show, every single night....ALL the tickets were sold - this made them the greatest shows ever at that time (only your next sell out tour 360 was better as it sold out even more shows)

I have attached a breakdown of all the attendances and box office talkings for all the shows on the tour....every single one of them SOLD OUT.

So thank you for making the best album of all time - as proven by fact it WON ALL THOSE GRAMMY AWARDS.

I have also attached the sales figures for the album, broken down by country by week from release to the time of writing.

The RIAA have certified the album as 3x Platinum in America.

So thanks again for making this album that won all these awards, sold all these copies and which people bought so many tickets to go and see the tour that promoted it.....it has given me endless hours of enjoyment posting the award wins, sales numbers etc on places like atu2 forum, interference, u2's facebook page and that forum where all the Trump voters and fat bastards hang out.

Regards,

Wons

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:39:16 AM by an tha »

Phoenix Rising

• Ut sementem feceris ita metes
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 09:40:50 AM »

Every child is a sacred gift from God

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 09:54:30 AM »
an tha's Odyssey. I'm speechless.

guest532

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »

Yeah, and his list did seem 'carefully chosen'.

MPare1966

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »

Yeah, and his list did seem 'carefully chosen'.

And that’s putting it mildly
First Chair. Last Call.

Miami

• Here comes the car chase
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »
I enjoyed that. 😂

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 11:09:33 PM »
Ever since Bono published his list of 60 songs that, apparently, saved his life, a lot of people have been writing letters to the band about how U2 “saved” them. (nice example below, from twitter).

My question then: should we do this here? Or do you feel it’s a bit cheesy?

My take: At the end of the day, we are a U2 fan forum..... So it would make sense.

You were trying to be funny, right? This forum saying something nice about U2? Ha ha. Good one.
Are you tough enough to be kind?