Dirty Day studio version

• 20 Replies

restofit

Dirty Day studio version
« on: May 16, 2020, 11:03:41 PM »
Despite Zooropa being probably my second favourite U2 album behind Achtung Baby, I have to confess that despite my best efforts and frustrations I cannot warm up to the studio version of Dirty Day. There I said it, rest assured however, I think the Live version from Zoo TV was awesome.

I had an epiphany today in that I realized the underlying reason for which this track bugs me.

The problem I have with Dirty Day is the lack of sonic variation. Clocking in at just under five minutes and thirty seconds it's a really long song, yet everything is played and programmed exactly the same, like a repeated loop with no variation musically or sonically (same instrumentation and same synth-lines used throughout) from the verses to pre-chorus, bridge, chorus, and verses again.

This is quite unusual for a U2 studio track because usually with songs at this length, they put a conscious effort into subtle variations in the instrumentation, synth-parts etc.. in order to not make the track drag-on and become boring/repetitive and perceived one-dimensional. (I think the limited time-frame in which they had to record the album might have played a part in that). Some other tracks on Zooropa have this particular 'rough sketch', or unfinished quality to them.

For an insight into their usual method with songs of this length (between 5-6 minutes) see:

Lemon: Notice how the bassline in Lemon is actually changing slightly throughout the whole track, with little variations that are very smooth and slinky from the shimmery guitar effects, changing in tone and intensity, to the atmospherics from Eno ever so subtly changing in the background.

Mofo - So many variations and change-ups here musically and sonically. One of the band's most complex studio tracks. Notice the subtle sonic variation in the verses from 3:27 compared to the pre-bridge verses, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQtITWp3ua4.

Do You Feel Loved -  Notice how much the sound of the guitar & the drums change as the song progresses. The attention to sonic detail here from the band and producers Osbourne, Flood is outstanding.

As I said, I believe the short time-frame (4-5 months) in which they had to record Zooropa contributed to this, it seemed that because they needed to get the album out quickly they weren't able to (in a sense) properly 'finish' some of the tracks on Zooropa such as 'Dirty Day' to their usual standards.

The Playboy Mansion and Miami are other U2 songs where this 'unfinished' quality is particularly evident and in my opinion is not a good thing. These tracks are really un-developed so-to-speak.

Just a little insight for you, so that perhaps now you can see from my perspective that in many instances U2 putting more emphasis and effort/attention into sonic detail with their studio tracks can be a good-thing rather than a negative.

It's all about striking the right balance.

There's a fine-line between making something raw, spontaneous, impromptu - but at the same time coming out seeming undeveloped and kind of lazely or half-heartedly done. Because you can always go back and find a way to add something else, to make a track more interesting. There's no shame in U2 spending more time in an attempt to try and improve a studio track.

If they had spent more time on Dirty Day to develop it a bit more, add/or change a few more things to make it a bit more interesting sonically, it would've probably resulted in a much improved studio track.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:27:03 PM by restofit »

guest532

Re: Dirty Day studio version
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 11:14:58 PM »
Dirty Day is great as it is.  All it needs, as is the case of the rest of the album, is a proper remastering job, which would result in being able to hear the sonic detail in the mix more clearly.  It's a mystery why the band haven't already had that done.  They could do Achtung Baby and Pop while they're at it.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 11:55:08 PM »
Dirty Day is great as it is.  All it needs, as is the case of the rest of the album, is a proper remastering job, which would result in being able to hear the sonic detail in the mix more clearly.  It's a mystery why the band haven't already had that done.  They could do Achtung Baby and Pop while they're at it.

Zooropa was remastered in 2018. Pop in 2017.

AB was remastered back in 2011, for the 20th anniversary reissue.

They all sound much better, btw.
First Chair. Last Call.

guest532

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 11:57:31 PM »

For CD they weren't and I don't have a record player.

MPare1966

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 12:05:28 AM »

For CD they weren't and I don't have a record player.

CDís are obsolete, unfortunately.
First Chair. Last Call.

guest532

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 12:13:53 AM »
There's still a market for CDs, and there's no reason why U2 couldn't have reissued remastered CDs at the same time as the new vinyl pressings.

MPare1966

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 12:18:10 AM »
There's still a market for CDs, and there's no reason why U2 couldn't have reissued remastered CDs at the same time as the new vinyl pressings.

OK wons. As you say.
First Chair. Last Call.

guest532

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 12:21:24 AM »
Fact is fact.  I'm not sorry if they hurt your feelings.

MPare1966

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 12:36:28 AM »

I feel itís the other way around. I gave you the correct facts after your false assumptions above.
First Chair. Last Call.

guest532

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 12:37:41 AM »

I feel itís the other way around. I gave you the correct facts after your false assumptions above.

I disagree.

MPare1966

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 12:46:02 AM »

I disagree.

You can disagree all you want, but facts are facts. And mine are clear as day. As usual.  :D
First Chair. Last Call.

guest532

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 12:52:30 AM »

I disagree.

You can disagree all you want, but facts are facts. And mine are clear as day. As usual.  :D

There's still a market for CDs, therefore they're not obsolete.

MPare1966

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 01:47:36 AM »

I disagree.

I beg to differ. CD sales are declining three times as fast as vinyl sales are growing.

At this rate, theyíll soon meet the fate of the 8-track tape.

First Chair. Last Call.

guest532

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 01:59:02 AM »

I disagree.

I beg to differ. CD sales are declining three times as fast as vinyl sales are growing.

At this rate, theyíll soon meet the fate of the 8-track tape.

Record companies wouldn't still be releasing new albums on CD if they were obsolete.  There's no reason why U2 couldn't have reissued remastered CD's at the same time as the vinyl releases, as they took the trouble to remaster the vinyl releases.  When they the vinyl albums were released, CD sales still accounted for more market share than the vinyl releases.  U2 don't know their arses from the elbows.

restofit

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 04:21:30 AM »

AB was remastered back in 2011, for the 20th anniversary reissue.

They all sound much better, btw.

Pop was remastered in 2018