Money, Money, Money....

• 11 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Money, Money, Money....
« on: May 14, 2020, 09:21:49 AM »
Musicians and songwriters in the UK received a record amount of money last year, but the loss of live music poses a major threat to income in 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52652073
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:29:06 AM by an tha »

imaginary friend

• 💉 💉 Pandemic Boogaloo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

pick a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

JTNash

Re: Money, Money, Money....
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 01:45:18 PM »
Musicians and songwriters in the UK received a record amount of money last year, but the loss of live music poses a major threat to income in 2020.

Boom Cha this is my job.....

so it will depend on which people/organization collects your money  Our Writers/Publishers are still making money from cable, and internet increase.  Live music obviously has taken a hit but will lower their revenue but not stop it.  Royalties are also received from restaurants so that area will produce less revenue also.  The large amount of people it takes to put a show on the road has taken a huge hit.  Their are loads of Nashvillians out of work just in this industry alone.  Many of them are writing music and doing internet shows.  But its a tough business for sure.  I wonder if many will even go back to the road after this who knows?
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 03:54:39 PM »
I am guessing there will also be a dearth of new albums this year as studio collaboration is hit hard, but a lot of artists will be recording stuff at home and there will be a rush to the studio next year with a lot of new theme music.

Also, as dreadful a correlation as this is, there is a correlation between sharp economic downturns and great music. People take out their rage in music, and often that means great new movements like Punk, grunge, industrial, etc., come from recessions.
-------

Too tall to be a despot

an tha

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 04:24:17 PM »

Boom Cha this is my job.....

so it will depend on which people/organization collects your money  Our Writers/Publishers are still making money from cable, and internet increase.  Live music obviously has taken a hit but will lower their revenue but not stop it.  Royalties are also received from restaurants so that area will produce less revenue also.  The large amount of people it takes to put a show on the road has taken a huge hit.  Their are loads of Nashvillians out of work just in this industry alone.  Many of them are writing music and doing internet shows.  But its a tough business for sure.  I wonder if many will even go back to the road after this who knows?

Interesting

an tha

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 04:24:53 PM »
I am guessing there will also be a dearth of new albums this year as studio collaboration is hit hard, but a lot of artists will be recording stuff at home and there will be a rush to the studio next year with a lot of new theme music.

Also, as dreadful a correlation as this is, there is a correlation between sharp economic downturns and great music. People take out their rage in music, and often that means great new movements like Punk, grunge, industrial, etc., come from recessions.

I like the idea of movements coming from this, a lot.

JTNash

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 04:53:54 PM »
So this is going to force the turning point in the music business.  Radio is all but dying breed, I believe soon our only options will be satellite radio real soon.  Record labels largely made money off the buying of physical CD's/records this market has all but dried up, there are people that buy downloaded digital music but many don't even to that.  Things like spotifiy are the wave of the future.  The one area that the labels had found to make quick cash was touring, now that touring has stopped, what's next?  How will we get our music fix?  How will labels recoup their costs?   Will we even need labels with all the home studio technology out there? 

If you has asked me before Songs of Innocence what would happen, I'd say your favorite band would be downloading to your iTunes, but that went over like a fart in a wind storm so someone smarter then me will need to dream something up 

an tha

JTNash

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 05:07:36 PM »
Radio's perspective:

https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/radio-keeps-dying-but-someone-forgot-to-tell-the-listeners
this is only with a terrestrial signal then a streaming one like iHeart their ad revenue is down

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »

Think our boys will be in the vanguard? Like they were in the 90's?  ;D
-------

Too tall to be a despot

an tha

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »

Think our boys will be in the vanguard? Like they were in the 90's?  ;D

Without doubt - the big movement is gonna be Grandad Rock - an even more turgid variation on Dad Rock!  :) All the over 60's coming out post Covid19 fighting and demanding their right to rock (but gently)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:20:37 PM by an tha »

guest532

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 01:03:13 PM »

From teens and twentysomethings.