Elvis Costello with Bono and Edge

• 25 Replies

laoghaire

Elvis Costello with Bono and Edge
« on: May 12, 2020, 09:23:49 PM »
This just popped up in my recommendeds, never saw it before or heard of this show in general either.

Elvis Costello interviews B&E. There's some performances.

Mysterious Ways - Elvis C and his band, interesting take.

Stuck - with B&E, Elvis and full band. This imho is the best of show, great energy, love Elvis's contribution.

Stay - B&E alone, standard 360 acoustic. Bono's voice is kind of clogged and he's not breathing well so it's meh.

One Shot of Happy, Two Shots of Sad - easier for B to sing so it comes out fine.

The Edges Cat

Re: Elvis Costello with Bono and Edge
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 09:25:02 PM »
Bono's Elvis Costello impression:

The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

riffraff

• The hurt you hide and the joy you hold.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 09:28:03 PM »
Great find...I'm gonna watch it first thing tomorrow. Well, after coffee.
Sometimes fear is the only place we can call home.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:31:33 PM »
Good watch! Really cool to hear Pete Thomas is one of Larry's favourite drummers.

The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

The Edges Cat

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 09:43:45 PM »
Bono touched on it in the interview, but U2 songs don't really do well when jamming with others, do they? A few exceptions, but on the whole they're not like the Stones or Beatles who can impromptu jam with country or rock or blues.

laoghaire

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:55:30 PM »
Yeah, they admit it, too.

They seem to be attuned to each other but aren't conventional musicians. I'm sure Larry could survive with another band but overall U2 is its own thing.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 09:55:44 PM »

Stay - B&E alone, standard 360 acoustic. Bono's voice is kind of clogged and he's not breathing well so it's meh.

Yeah he was chugging water and getting a bit hoarse speaking just before performing. He looked really self-conscious too, it's easy to forget he can get nervous.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 09:58:36 PM »
Yeah, they admit it, too.

They seem to be attuned to each other but aren't conventional musicians. I'm sure Larry could survive with another band but overall U2 is its own thing.

Yeah they've said they were better when they didn't know what they were doing. It's part of their issue post-2000 too, trying to be conventional musicians and songwriting like other bands do. They're best when they forge their own path and way of doing things.

Really eye-opening honesty from Bono at around 30mins too. It's what Bono gets a lot of hate for, how his "save the world" extracurricular activities impact the band. He explains it so rawly here, even the harshest critic would step back a bit.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 10:03:05 PM by The Edges Cat »

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 12:24:57 AM »
U2 ripped off “Pump it Up” verses for “Boots”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 06:14:21 AM »
I suppose it does not really matter because ultimately you do your own thing/put on your own show etc and playing with others is only something you'll do rarely - but the way u2 are as a band is incredibly limiting when it comes to just plugging and playing and doing it off the cuff.

I watched the pump it up/boots thing and you can see elvis just rip into no bother, improvising, just playing off the cuff and edge is standing there just looking so uncomfortable thinking 'where the fuck are my pedals and my tech etc'

It isn't a criticism by the way, just an observation....you could imagine elvis there going 'ok now let's rip into pride in the name of love' and doing so and edge saying 'hold on i'll need my pride guitar and to find the song in my rig computer, give me 10 mins'

It is just the way they operate and the shows down the years work/worked.

laoghaire

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 07:32:04 AM »
I don't think it's a "choice" really - Elvis C is a musician and U2 are alchemists. They made gold out of lead. This is all they can do - but they did great things with their lead.

financeguy1

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 08:15:15 AM »
Wasn't aware of this collaboration, will check it out.

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 10:49:20 AM »
Oh, I remember this one, one of my favorite interview sessions. Other musicians ask much better questions than journalists generally do. I'll have to watch it again sometime.
Are you tough enough to be kind?

laoghaire

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »
Will you be reporting to the 60 songs thread?

http://forum.talku2.com/index.php?topic=4822.0

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 02:09:36 PM »
The NLOTH/360 era is the last time Bono looked halfway good. He needs a new stylist.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.