The Next U2 Album..

• 75 Replies

restofit

The Next U2 Album..
« on: May 02, 2020, 12:47:05 AM »
For some background: From U2.songs.com (2020-01-08):

So what are U2 up to now? Hopefully taking a bit of time to rest following the tour that took them through New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, The Philippines and India. We are told they will take some time off the road at this point and will work on new music before going out on tour again. And that they hope to have a new album done by the next time they tour. Two albums are possibilities at this point, with Bono continuing to talk about Songs of Ascent while the rest of the band seems to be looking towards other possibilities. Although even Bono seems open to doing something new, talking about a rock album recently as well.

One album being discussed would be completing the long delayed Songs of Ascent originally developed as a second half to the songs on No Line on the Horizon and later held back. The album has been mentioned a number of times over the years since, and it has been confirmed that there is still an album there, as recently as Bono’s appearance on Hozier’s “Cry Power” podcast where he said, “We have this beautiful, ecstatic album called Songs of Ascent, I don’t know if we’ll finish it soon or if it will take forever – it’s about forever – that’s its subject – Songs of Ascent are 15 psalms, they’re named after the 15 steps from the women’s chamber up to the Temple of Jerusalem. It’s an old idea. I’m obsessed with David, King David in the bible, who turns out was right bollocks, but he was kind of an interesting figure, he was brutally honest with God at all times, even about himself being a bollocks. I’d love to do that.”

The other would be a rock album, which would not see the band revisit Songs of Ascent at this time. Adam Clayton has said of a new album, “We’ve certainly got lots of leftover pieces, but by the time we come to make another record, I’m sure we’ll start from scratch.” and The Edge has said “There’s lots of ideas for the next records, but I think a bit of time off just to listen to music and to really feed our creative instincts is in order.” As the Experience and Innocence tour drew to a close in 2018 Bono stated that he’d “like to make a balls to the wall rock album.” Bono in the podcast with Hozier in 2019 brought up the rock album as well saying, “I’d also love to do just a straightforward-fuck-off-rock-and-roll album with this band. Because on this last tour, they’ve got to a place, I mean they’ve been there before, I think they’ve always had greatness in them, but we do a lot of very good in between the great. I felt like I just caught up to them on this last tour. And there were moments on the circular stage, the e-stage, on the Experience and Innocence tour, and they hit some powerful stuff. I’d like to find songs that could contain that fire.”

A few collaborators have also chimed in. Ryan Tedder sounds like he will work with the band on the new album, saying in September 2019, “I spoke to them just last week. We will work together on some new pieces when I am in Los Angeles. I think it’s their intention to make a record completely different from the last two. It will be easier. You know, it’s like a pendulum. When you make a very produced album, with so many instruments in it, the next project you want it to be more sparse, and you wonder, what if the disc had the sound of four musicians playing in a room?” It is likely that the album Tedder references would be the new album leaning towards rock, and not Songs of Ascent.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 01:27:07 AM by restofit »

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
Re: The Next U2 Album..
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 01:03:32 AM »
I want them to make whatever they want to make, but I think now would be a good time for Songs of Ascent, something that isn't trying to be popular but is trying to be artistic and interesting.  They need to get their critical respect back before they can be "successful" again.
There's a bible verse,
says the last one shall be first.
Well, if that verse is true,
there's hope for me and you.
-Kevin Kerby

guest532

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 03:02:00 AM »
An album that draws on their sounds and interests from 1984 through 1997.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 04:36:32 AM »
I never thought of Songs of Ascent being an experimental record. Meditative, sure, but U2 is done pushing musical boundaries. Nevertheless, I'd still go for that over a rock album. HTDAAB already showed us what happens when the band tries for that sound. It would still be overproduced, regardless of what Tedder has to say about that, and be riddled with The Blackout-type bunk.

Marvinho

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 05:10:13 AM »
I'd love to hear both. Drop the pop and rock out and then calm down a bit.

restofit

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 05:57:33 AM »
I want them to make whatever they want to make, but I think now would be a good time for Songs of Ascent, something that isn't trying to be popular but is trying to be artistic and interesting.  They need to get their critical respect back before they can be "successful" again.

Second this. I want the big fuck-you eno/lanois double-concept album to end all concept albums with 10 minute long songs with droney guitars, dirgey drumming, electro-bip-bop rhythm, adam lazily hitting an open-top string, and bono singing haiku's about the sea.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:16:18 PM by restofit »

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 07:08:42 AM »
I say "just put it out there, U2".
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 07:11:21 AM »
Same here, but I'm one of a rare species who really likes Atomic Bomb.

Are you tough enough to be kind?

Pride

• Soul wind blow
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 07:29:56 AM »

Second this. I want the big fuck-you eno/lanois double concept album to end all concept albums with 10 minute long songs with droney guitars, dirgey drumming, electro-bip-bop rhythm, adam lazily hitting an open-top string, and bono singing haiku's about the sea.

I'm imagining a combination of TUF, Zooropa, and the good parts of NLOTH. If they pulled this off I'd die of happiness.
Wake your reason's hollow vote, wear your blizzard season coat

laoghaire

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 07:39:17 AM »

Second this. I want the big fuck-you eno/lanois double concept album to end all concept albums with 10 minute long songs with droney guitars, dirgey drumming, electro-bip-bop rhythm, adam lazily hitting an open-top string, and bono singing haiku's about the sea.

That's beautiful, man.

Marvinho

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »

Personally I quite like the Bomb LP. You are not alone.

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2020, 08:44:55 AM »
Nope, not alone!
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2020, 10:19:54 AM »
The Beatles released albums every 10 months in their prime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phoenix Rising

• Ut sementem feceris ita metes
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2020, 10:31:01 AM »
Nope, not alone!

i like BOMB as well.

As to the question in the OP i have no idea.  Do both i suppose?
Every child is a sacred gift from God

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 11:00:41 AM »
Biggest driver IMO for u2 possibly pulling out a late career belter will be Bono finding something to write about that isn't full of platitudes, tired cliches, bad rhyming and tubthumping.

If he can do that then it might set them on a course where those lyrics drive enough of a feeling to get some more interesting sonics going.....if he does not/can't then expect more bland music to fit bland lyrics/subjects.

If they go down the 'full on rock' route - i'd expect it to get REALLY bad, Elevation type shite ×10 lyrically and musically. Lumpen, turgid shite.

American Soul ×10 anyone?

The best hope IMO for a late career good u2 album will be Bono finding some inspiration lyrically to evoke some feeling and emotions in Edge to paint some interesting soundscapes to interesting evocative lyrics.

Maybe get out of their lanes a bit, get some new instruments in there...

Or it'll be more dull cliched generic lyrics and edge will respond with more dull chugging guitar followed by a bit of ringing guitar ....the god knows how many times rewrites of Vertigo or Beautiful Day to ever diminishing returns.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:04:40 AM by an tha »