Ted Templeman - l believes Sammy Hagar is the best rock singer on the planet

• 20 Replies

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
I saw Sammy play down in Cabo a long time ago (along with Jason Bonham!!!) and he definitely rocked the place.
We were at a table right by the stage...it was great. But, he's far from being the best.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
I remember back when he said the exact same thing about Michael McDonald.

Anyway, his assertion that Sammy's the only singer out there who can sing both rock and soul is ridiculous now, and was even more ridiculous back in the '80s when he wanted to do that soul music project with Sammy. None of this, though, should be read as me dissing Sammy. Dude's always had an awesome voice, regardless of whether or not he had something to say with it.  A message of "Hey bud, let's party" is far from the worst thing to build a music career around.
   8)

riffraff

He put on a great show. But Jason Bonham was absolutely fascinating.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
I read Sammyís biography and heís a real interesting guy. He grew up in extreme poverty in California with a wife beating Father who went from being an amateur boxer to the town drunk. Before he joined Van Halen he had set up the biggest mountain bike retailer in California and a building company in his hometown. He was making more from his businesses then he was from music and was ready to retire before Van Halen came calling.

He then started the Cabo Wabo bar and a tequila company he sold for $95 million. He founded other restaurants and a rum company. Has his own TV show and at 72 can still sing like he did 30 years ago.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

JTNash

I've Seen Sammy many many times I like his voice I don't think its the best ever I don't think Bono's is either (gasp)  Chris Cornell hands down best there will every be
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

Codeguy

• In the shadows
Jason Bonham is just as good as his father IMO. Different style, but he has the raw power of John Bonham
-------

THRILLHO

I've Seen Sammy many many times I like his voice I don't think its the best ever I don't think Bono's is either (gasp) Chris Cornell hands down best there will every be

the best rock singer?

riffraff

Jason Bonham is just as good as his father IMO. Different style, but he has the raw power of John Bonham
Jason was freakin' amazing.

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Regardless of what one thinks of him as a singer (which for what he does it's pretty good, though I never really got into his non-VH stuff), and this is a debate for another day, I much prefer DLR VH over Van Hagar.

JTNash

I've Seen Sammy many many times I like his voice I don't think its the best ever I don't think Bono's is either (gasp) Chris Cornell hands down best there will every be

the best rock singer?
Yes the Best Rock singer, do you know who he is? He sang rock all his life
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

THRILLHO

the best rock singer?
Yes the Best Rock singer, do you know who he is? He sang rock all his life

ya i know who soundgarden is.

THRILLHO

Regardless of what one thinks of him as a singer (which for what he does it's pretty good, though I never really got into his non-VH stuff), and this is a debate for another day, I much prefer DLR VH over Van Hagar.

DLR IS Van Halen. He added humor and personality that hagar didn't even attempt, or was very poor at it. Yes hagar is a better singer, but no way is Van Hagar better than the real VH. Even including Roths solo albums neither those nor his VH albums came as close to the lows of OU812 and Balance. Pure SHITE both of em

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
I prefer Van Hagar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
There's only one voice..Steve Perry.

My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man