Is SATS on the level of One?

• 22 Replies

laoghaire

Is SATS on the level of One?
« on: April 14, 2020, 08:38:25 AM »
U2 thought SATS was going to be their next One.

Phoenix says SATS is better than One.

What say you?

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
Re: Is SATS on the level of One?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 08:43:58 AM »
No.  SATS has an annoying chorus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capital D

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:48:58 AM »
Staring at the Sun does not have the romantic mass appeal that One has. People aren't going to hold hands and sing along to it.

Although they are both slower tempo songs, they're quite different.

Hmm, I probably listen to One more often, but in my mind right now I prefer Starting at the Sun.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:55:20 AM »
no
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Phoenix Rising

• Ut sementem feceris ita metes
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 09:26:12 AM »
Honestly i could nearly backtrack on this because the sheer elegance of the ZOOTV performance (Uno) stacks up rather highly in the echelons of all time great performances - that voice over the chiming guitars "here us coming love....."  it just wails to the heavens like a white dove released from captivity.

Now contrast that to the emotional POPMART performance of the same song,  a large heart as a backdrop on the giant screen behind the band, Bono's touching tribute and a tight solid band make for a heart wrenching closer - even more powerful with Bono's scratchy voice, almost  struggling at the end (i realize dead man was actually the closer).

So there are two examples of where 'one' live is the better song.  But in keeping with the album version and the question at hand,  'One' really comes alive in the live setting,  but isn't necessarily any "better" imho on the album format than 'staring at the sun',  which is the one i feel has more mystique about it. 

And the thing about SATS and POP in general,  it's often overlooked (except for here,  naturally) and widely discarded,  because it didn't have the mass appeal of Achtung Baby and One.  While Achtung Baby had the cooler name,  those radio hits (including One) weren't nearly as exciting as the deeper tracks.  Whereas POP had a more ironic name but in reality had more alternative sounding songs and a more adventurous, daring style from start to finish. 

The fact that the band feels the need to occasionally give it a little shout out now,  after years of dismissing it as if they were ashamed of it's very existence,  it's funny to me.  Almost like a recollection of someone you once dated,  suggesting you might have had a good time once or twice,  in spite of the fact that you broke it off hard with them and ruined their live in the process.  But hey - at least we had the weekend at the lake in your uncles' cabin - that was fun,  right?   ;)
Every child is a sacred gift from God

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 09:57:42 AM »
I actually think One is overrated - it is a good song of course it is, but for me it is not this incredible, profound masterpiece many see it as.

Maybe it is just fatigue with it, but i find it boring....boring musically and lyrically.

It could scale the heights live - but not sure it has for a long time....i was always a fan of the 'hear us coming' live addition.

SATS is also overrated i think - i think it got a lot of love intially because it sounded most like the u2 people knew and were familiar with and liked....i remember the album being played all day on Radio 1 here when it came out - Simon Mayo playing it track by track during the day, and the publics comments in reaction being relayed - and SATS was the song getting the most praise, mostly because it was the most 'u2 sounding'.

Personally i thought it was a bit mediocre - it grew on me over time and it is a cleverer more complex track than it appears to be, but it has never moved my dial all that much.

Neither trouble my personal list of best u2 songs.

As for which is better - i say One narrowly, although i'd probably prefer right now to hear SATS...i have looked at it as if hearing both fresh and new.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:59:25 AM by an tha »

guest532

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »
Nowhere near.  One was the anthem of 1992.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 10:26:26 AM »
Its not often i can say that BOTH these tunes, i much prefer the studio versions of. SATS live kinda bores me (as do most u2 acoustic versions)
One is the better tune tho
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

THRILLHO

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 12:23:29 PM »
no but SATS is indisputably top 5 Pop songs, thought the acoustic version on e+i was welcome, i did not care for the acoustic version. i'm just saying i was happy to hear the song anyway i could live.

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 12:53:04 PM »
I find SATS dull, but that's just me
--------
< - This man does not exist.

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 04:38:36 PM »
I actually think One is overrated - it is a good song of course it is, but for me it is not this incredible, profound masterpiece many see it as.

Maybe it is just fatigue with it, but i find it boring....boring musically and lyrically.

It could scale the heights live - but not sure it has for a long time....i was always a fan of the 'hear us coming' live addition.

SATS is also overrated i think - i think it got a lot of love intially because it sounded most like the u2 people knew and were familiar with and liked....i remember the album being played all day on Radio 1 here when it came out - Simon Mayo playing it track by track during the day, and the publics comments in reaction being relayed - and SATS was the song getting the most praise, mostly because it was the most 'u2 sounding'.

Personally i thought it was a bit mediocre - it grew on me over time and it is a cleverer more complex track than it appears to be, but it has never moved my dial all that much.

As for which is better - i say One narrowly, although i'd probably prefer right now to hear SATS...i have looked at it as if hearing both fresh and new.

Something we can agree on! I've just been afraid to say it before now for fear of getting mutilated. Now I can hide behind you. :P (You and Eno.)

I will say I think the way One resolves makes it a stronger song than it sounds at the start; it just takes longer to get there than I would like. And I agree with your observation that SATS is more complex than it seems at first; it may grow on me. But neither are very high in my rotation; I'm afraid I go for the more upbeat stuff.

Having said all that ... nah, One wins.
Are you tough enough to be kind?

an tha

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »

Something we can agree on! I've just been afraid to say it before now for fear of getting mutilated. Now I can hide behind you. :P (You and Eno.)

I will say I think the way One resolves makes it a stronger song than it sounds at the start; it just takes longer to get there than I would like. And I agree with your observation that SATS is more complex than it seems at first; it may grow on me. But neither are very high in my rotation; I'm afraid I go for the more upbeat stuff.

Having said all that ... nah, One wins.

Good points...

See agreeing wasn't that hard was it!

Do you not like down tempo/more somber stuff at all?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:47:44 PM by an tha »

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:48 PM »
Good points...

I just don't like it as much. I'm sure there's exceptions ... I love 13, and The First Time, for instance. But usually, yeah, I prefer a little more energy in my music.
Are you tough enough to be kind?

an tha

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
Good points...

I just don't like it as much. I'm sure there's exceptions ... I love 13, and The First Time, for instance. But usually, yeah, I prefer a little more energy in my music.

In the latter years of their career or really from 2000 i have found with u2 that generally the more 'energy' in their music the less i personally like it/find it has any kind of weight.

laoghaire

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 06:31:39 PM »
Personally, I find One worthy of the hype.

I don't listen often anymore, but it hasn't sagged any over the years.

I do agree "hear me/us coming" was amazing.

I like SATS, but I don't rank it as a masterpiece. Some performances are meh but some are really good - if they hit the harmony really well, it lifts from meh to great.

One was not a highlight of the last tour imho but its place as a masterpiece is still secure with me.