Modeling amp?

• 4 Replies

Joltmark

Modeling amp?
« on: April 11, 2020, 12:45:48 PM »
I have a limited budget, so rather than  going broke on amps, pedals, and cables, I was thinking of trying a modeling amp like a fender mustang,  boss katana, marshall code or a vox amp.   I was wondering if anyone has any experience playing U2 or other artists with one of these amps and what their experience has been. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:07:00 PM by Joltmark »

Joltmark

Re: Modeling amp?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 08:00:48 PM »
In case someone doesn't understand, a modeling amp typically has a bunch of effects and sounds built into it, but uses computer programming/emulating to achieve the sound, but may not have the complete authentic, full sound that a traditional tube amp and pedal would give.

It seems it may be more a fun toy than so mething for a serious musician.  I'm just looking to approximate sounds more for my own enjoyment than anything.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:04:34 PM by Joltmark »

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 08:02:23 PM »
Sorry, don't know anything about it. Be patient, though...we do have a few on here who play...they'll see this eventually.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:00:56 PM »
Joltmark, the FB group "U2 Guitarists" might be able to help you here. Several thousand of them, including several who play Edge in tribute acts.
-------

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 04:11:52 AM »
When I went back to playing guitar, I bought this :

https://www.thomann.de/fr/vox_mini_3_g2_iv.htm

I was amazed at what you could do with those tiny digital amps. Perfect if you want to play for yourself on a budget.

It lacks a little warmth compared to a big amp with lamps but it really does the job.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...