Albums That Influenced Your Taste in Music

• 32 Replies

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
Albums That Influenced Your Taste in Music
« on: March 24, 2020, 09:58:09 AM »
Has anyone else seen this Facebook tag?

"I have been nominated by xxx xxxxxxx to list the 10 albums which greatly influenced my taste in music."

I thought it might be fun to try here.

If you already have a topic like this, mods, feel free to delete and tell me where to go. (Wait, that didn't come out right...)

Still working on my list, back later.
Are you tough enough to be kind?

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
Re: Albums That Influenced Your Taste in Music
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:59:36 AM »
There might have been a thread like this long ago, but let's do it. I need to think on it.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 12:43:22 PM »
Pet Sounds
Velvet Underground and Nico
Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde On Blonde/ Blood on the Tracks- Dylan
The Doors- The Doors
TJT
Trainspotting Soundtrack
Swingers Soundtrack
Morning Glory
Rubber Soul
Check Your Head- Beasties

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »
Okay, here's mine (I think):

Prokofiev - Peter and the Wolf (first music I remember hearing)
The Monkees - Headquarters
The Doors - The Doors
The Moody Blues - To Our Children's Children's Children
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief
Gordon Lightfoot - Sit Down Young Stranger
Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
U2 - War
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
Dead Can Dance - Toward the Within

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:36 PM »
there was another thread like this, but it was way back when. My answer then was like 50 albums long, lol. I'm gonna go find what I wrote and narrow it down to 10. Back in a few.

edit: OK, I'm back pulling 10 from the olde list:

Stratosfear - Tangerine Dream
Aja - Steely Dan
Damaged - Black Flag
Run DMC - Run DMC
Remission - Skinny Puppy
Paradise - Inner City
Tabula Rasa - Arvo Part
Louder Than Love - Soundgarden
Blue Lines - Massive Attack
Semantic Spaces - Delerium

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:26:37 PM by imaginary friend »

THRILLHO

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 07:41:30 PM »
the earliest album i remember owning wasnt an album but the Waynes World soundtrack (1991), for, obviously, Bohemian Rhapsody.

then from 94-98ish

Pearl Jam - Ten
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
U2 - Pop
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Weezer - The Blue Album
Boston - Boston
Van Halen - Van Halen
Journey - Greatest Hits
Less Than Jake - Losing Streak
Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 08:08:29 PM »
Closer - Joy Division
Seventeen Seconds - The Cure
Parallel Lines - Blondie
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Dig Me Out - Sleater Kinney
Dry - PJ Harvey
Die Mensch Maschine - Kraftwerk
Surfer Rosa - Pixies
The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
The Unforgettable Fire - U2

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »
I'm just pleased that I actually recognize most of the albums everyone's mentioning. Yay, I'm not as out of touch as I feared. :)

riffraff

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 08:32:03 PM »
Some of them make me realize how young some of you are! Lucky dawgs.....
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Pride

• Soul wind blow
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 11:58:36 PM »
Zooropa - U2
Wheatfield Soul - The Guess Who
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
It'll Shine When It Shines - The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Who Are You - The Who
Music@Work - The Tragically Hip
Fly By Night - Rush
Tales From Topographic Oceans - Yes
Obscured By Clouds - Pink Floyd
Wake your reason's hollow vote, wear your blizzard season coat

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 08:25:05 AM »
Some of them make me realize how young some of you are! Lucky dawgs.....
And how old others of us are ... :P

It'll Shine When It Shines - The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Another Ozarks fan, yay!

riffraff

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 09:10:57 AM »
I've been thinking a lot about this thread. And I can't really choose any specific albums. I grew up in a Christian home, lots of gospel, love it. I had older sibs so, Elvis, Motown, the beginnings of rock, etc. Once I got into my own musical theme...it was SO varied...rock, folk, blues.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »
the earliest album i remember owning wasnt an album but the Waynes World soundtrack (1991), for, obviously, Bohemian Rhapsody.

then from 94-98ish

Pearl Jam - Ten
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
U2 - Pop
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Weezer - The Blue Album
Boston - Boston
Van Halen - Van Halen
Journey - Greatest Hits
Less Than Jake - Losing Streak
Reel Big Fish - Turn the Radio Off
Reel Big Fish! Love them.  I played their first two albums non-stop in high school and my freshman year of college.  I'll easily add Why Do They Rock So Hard? as my number 11.

Twilight

• The heart is a bloom.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 03:29:46 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about this thread. And I can't really choose any specific albums. I grew up in a Christian home, lots of gospel, love it. I had older sibs so, Elvis, Motown, the beginnings of rock, etc. Once I got into my own musical theme...it was SO varied...rock, folk, blues.
It is rather arbitrary. The first time I saw it on Facebook, you had to list 20 albums (1 a day, ak!), but even then I could think of another 20 more right off the top of my head. Kind of fun to think about it, though.

I forgot to suggest that people are welcome to comment on their choices. I may go back and do that with mine; more interesting if you know why they were influential, yeah?

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 04:17:15 PM »
Closer - Joy Division
Seventeen Seconds - The Cure
Parallel Lines - Blondie
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Dig Me Out - Sleater Kinney
Dry - PJ Harvey
Die Mensch Maschine - Kraftwerk
Surfer Rosa - Pixies
The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Some context...

Tried to really focus on albums that really shaped my taste rather than just the albums i think are the best - so that meant thinking about what were the first albums i really took to of a certain style or what albums really caused me to then dig deeper into a genre/style.

Closer by Joy Division was the first album that really hit me in the gut and really made me think about the meanings of the songs - the fact i also adored the sonics helped, but that album really was the start of me wanting to explore albums that covered deep and dark subject matter.....i was utterly obsessed with it as a young teenager, the first album that really made me think.

Seventeen Seconds by The Cure - i discovered this off the back of Closer by Joy Division, which is testament to how much that album influenced me.....Seventeen Seconds really consolidated my fascination with dark soundscapes and atmospheric dark songs.

Parallel Lines by Blondie was the first record i heard that made me want to dance but still had a rock sound and was certainly the albun that began my well publicised fascination with the female voice and guitars!!

The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses - being a certain age in the North West of England when this came out meant it was virtually guaranteed that this record was hugely influential - it was the soundtrack to becoming an adult, to fucking, fighting, staying out all night and drinking all day!

Dig Me Out by Sleater Kinney - Girls making incredibly melodic punk, with these incredible voices intertwining and twisting around each other as they sang different parts at the same time - creating an absolutely intoxicating sound that to this day probably stands as the biggest 'wow factor' i have ever had from a record - and it led me to fall in love with a genre.

Dry by PJ Harvey - If i had never heard this I almost certainly would never have discovered the band above and a large number of other bands and artists. Polly Jean is simply the greatest artist who has ever lived in my view and this debut album of hers is one that i can thank a lot for subsequently discovering so many of my favourite albums and artists.

Die Mensch Maschine by Krafwerk - I love electronica, and i had never really heard it before this album....

Surfer Rosa by Pixies - This album pretty much has a bit of everything i love most in music, all the stuff i have already talked about above is present as well as another thing i like a lot which is the "quiet/loud" thing - this is the first album i really got into that from...it also has some really fucking out there themes and fucked up stuff which really attracts me.

The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers - this album is like Closer in terms of how important it was and is to me and of course in terms of how it documents the absolutely incredible mental state of the songs lyricist.

The album's lyrics deal with subjects including child prostitution, American consumerism, British imperialism, freedom of speech, the Holocaust, self-starvation, serial killers, the death penalty, political revolution, childhood, fascism and suicide - and it is an intense and deeply unsettling yet beautiful listen.

The Unforgettable Fire by U2 - I chose this because for a period of around 10 years in the 90's u2 were my favourite artists hands down and TUF was the first album of theirs i really heard in full and really connected with -  without it i may not have been enough of a fan to be interested in u2 in 1991 and i may have missed out on the relationship i have with those 90's albums and i almost certainly wouldn't be typing these words on this forum now!