The little things is underrated

• 41 Replies

Codeguy

• In the shadows
The little things is underrated
« on: February 19, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »
I liked the LIAWHL thread so I thought I’d create one for the other misunderstood classic on SOE

Prove me wrong

-------

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Re: The little things is underrated
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 02:23:30 PM »
Sadly, it is indeed underrated.
First Chair. Last Call.

laoghaire

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:26:35 PM »
I thought it was somewhat recognized. I personally rate it highly. It's an emotional rollercoaster. It's a classic work with classic Edge and classic Bono opera singing. By that I don't mean literal opera but Bono's unique emotional style.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 02:27:50 PM »
I'd actually say it is overrated.....read a fair bit of praise for it and people holding it up as 'classic u2' but for me it's a plodder that does not really go anyhwere and relies on pretty hackneyed u2 isms.

Came over to me as a deliberate attempt to write the big lighters in the air song, relying on worn out old tricks - dull and boring and been there done that....

It is however at least mature and not like 'the best thing'...

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »
I'd actually say it is overrated.....read a fair bit of praise for it and people holding it up as 'classic u2' but for me it's a plodder that does not really go anyhwere and relies on pretty hackneyed u2 isms.

Came over to me as a deliberate attempt to write the big lighters in the air song, relying on worn out old tricks - dull and boring and been there done that....

It’s somewhere in between. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laoghaire

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 02:34:49 PM »
I find it to be extremely sincere. I had a terrifying event happen once, and the song captures that for me.

Also, as for it not going anywhere, I couldn't disagree more. The song evolves throughout, markedly. It has two major movements, and the second is a masterpiece of a crescendo, building and building sonically.

Marvinho

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 02:34:54 PM »
Yes! Totally agree mate. When I first played Songs of Experience through on the day of release it stood out a mile as the one song that was a "proper U2" sounding song and straight away I thought it was brilliant. Still do.

JTBaby

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 02:37:25 PM »
This is what happens when the bar gets lowered through years of mediocrity. Decent songs are rebranded as 'classics'.

Sorry, this is a decent enough song and one of the better efforts on a plodding poor album, but 'classic' ? nahhhhhh
"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
“Albums still matter,” he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. “Like books and black lives"

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 02:43:50 PM »
I find it to be extremely sincere. I had a terrifying event happen once, and the song captures that for me.

Also, as for it not going anywhere, I couldn't disagree more. The song evolves throughout, markedly. It has two major movements, and the second is a masterpiece of a crescendo, building and building sonically.

It is also a 'crescendo'  that you could see coming from miles away....utterly predictable.

The whole song is about 'by numbers' as you could get.

That is of course just how i see it and if course others will disagree. To be fair I just found the whole album one that had next to nothing on it that i found interesting, challenging, moving or worthy of investing time in.

An album of platitudes, hackneyed sounds and words and LTS.

Sorry.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »
i didn't think much of the live version they performed before the album release but do enjoy the album version.

riffraff

• win or lose
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »
Love it. 'nuff said.
All of my colors turn to blue

The Edges Cat

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 07:29:13 PM »
Bloody brilliant track. Bono's most raw lyrics too.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

JTNash

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 07:41:13 PM »
The bridge is prefecture, it’s an amazing song. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

Pride

• Are you gonna wait forever?
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2020, 11:33:56 PM »

I agree. It's not a bad song, but it feels like it was purposefully written to be the classic big U2 song. I guess I can appreciate that; it's still kind of uninteresting though.
Or is it now?

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 03:12:21 AM »
From what i see...the song is VERY much loved in the u2 fanbase. It gets posted on u2 friends page on Facebook fairly regular and always gets a fair amount of appreciation. I dont think i have seen anyone bash it. But that said....there are a lot of happy clapper type u2 fans over there.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world