WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO LARRY MULLEN JNR?

• 16 Replies

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO LARRY MULLEN JNR?
« on: February 11, 2020, 09:50:53 PM »
So Iím driving home today and put on Rattle & Hum, nice and loud.

Love this album. Great rock songs and Heartland and All I Want is You are among their best slow songs. The one thing I notice is how damn good Larry Mullen Jnr sounds.

Now Iím no drummer and weíve all heard that technically Larry isnít the best, but I love what heís doing on this album, and for that matter, on a lot of those songs during the 80ís and 90ís.

I love banging away to a great drum beat. My daughter laughs at me. A Who song comes on and I come alive banging away on the steering wheel, on the couch, on my leg, wherever I can basically. Keith Moon, Bonham, and many others. As long as itís exciting and not basic.

Today listening to the Bo Diddley beat of Desire, the urgency on Hawkmoon with Larry thumping away during the close, the criminally underrated God Part 2 which is one of his best moments. I was doing some good damage to the steering wheel listening to Larry. Then I got to thinking, what the hell happened to him? To my ears itís few and far between for Larry really pounding the drums anymore. All seems kinda basic pattern pop/rock songs that is not really different then a drum machine. Itís been a long time in my opinion that Larry has been an exciting drummer.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 11:32:40 PM by So Cruel »
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Re: WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO LARRY MULLEN JNR?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »

Love this album. Great rock songs and Heartland and All I Want is You are among their best slow songs. The one thing I notice is how damn good Larry Mullen Jnr sounds.

Now Iím no drummer and weíve all heard that technically Larry isnít the best, but I love what heís doing on this album, and for that matter, on a lot of those songs during the 80ís and 90ís.

I love banging away to a great drum beat. My daughter laughs at me. A Who song comes on and I come alive banging away on the steering wheel, on the couch, on my leg, wherever I can basically. Keith Moon, Bonham, and many others. As long as itís exciting and not basic.

Today listening to the Bob Diddley beat of Desire, the urgency on Hawkmoon with Larry thumping away during the close, the criminally underrated God Part 2 which is one of his best moments. I was doing some good damage to the steering wheel listening to Larry. Then I got to thinking, what the hell happened to him? To my ears itís few and far between for Larry really pounding the drums anymore. All seems kinda basic pattern pop/rock songs that is not really different then a drum machine. Itís been a long time in my opinion that Larry has been an exciting drummer.

This happened. Probably the main reason.

https://drmillett.com/u2-drummer-larry-mullen-jr-discusses-his-experience-with-dr-peter-millett-at-the-steadman-clinic/
First Chair. Last Call.

So Cruel

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »

Today listening to the Bob Diddley beat of Desire, the urgency on Hawkmoon with Larry thumping away during the close, the criminally underrated God Part 2 which is one of his best moments. I was doing some good damage to the steering wheel listening to Larry. Then I got to thinking, what the hell happened to him? To my ears itís few and far between for Larry really pounding the drums anymore. All seems kinda basic pattern pop/rock songs that is not really different then a drum machine. Itís been a long time in my opinion that Larry has been an exciting drummer.

https://drmillett.com/u2-drummer-larry-mullen-jr-discusses-his-experience-with-dr-peter-millett-at-the-steadman-clinic/

Do the injuries stop him from playing more exciting drum patterns though? Does it just limit him to very basic boring stuff? Nothing he does is technically very difficult.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 10:04:22 PM »

Do the injuries stop him from playing more exciting drum patterns though? Does it just limit him to very basic boring stuff? Nothing he does is technically very difficult.

Iím no drummer either so I canít tell.

The only thing this tells me is that heís in the same situation as a professional athlete at a similar age.
First Chair. Last Call.

financeguy1

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 10:50:52 PM »
Well, Reni from the Stone Roses praised him and "gave props to him" as the modern expression goes, during the 2012 Roses re-union press conference. That's good enough for me as I consider Reni to be the greatest drummer of all time.

Larry is a great drummer but his style of drumming is intense and not surprisingly he has had to, not quite relax, but adopt a different style in recent years.

Say no more.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:54:40 PM by financeguy1 »

SlyDanner

• You can call me Mark
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 01:26:06 AM »
when I read the title of this thread I honestly thought it was going to be about his affection for Botox and other cosmetic enhancements.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 03:06:51 AM »
The rhythm section have been more or less totally neutered by MOR pop rock era u2.

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:19:28 AM »
On the promo video that came out later last year to accompany the tour, we saw all the band writing lyrics on a big sheet of paper. It started with Bono and ended with Larry.

I noticed that when Larry wrote, he was wearing a short sleeved top which revealed a squarish looking arm between the tricep and elbow (I'm not a physician, as you can tell).
I suspected at the time that he'd had some tendon surgery at some point, and possibly had a plate inserted.
Larry has a big hitting style.
Live in Manchester, Larry was on fire...if anyone couldn't hear his drumming in the arena, they were tone deaf or had no clue.
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

laoghaire

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 08:36:20 AM »
Guys. Larry had to change his style but he is still turning in excellent work.

Ignore your dislike for the songs but listen to LARRY:

Lights of Home - excellent, complex, syncophated beats

13 - different

Walk On - completely changed the song from what it would have been from a standard beat

NLOTH - joyous, strong drumming

Must I continue?

riffraff

• dreaming someone elses dream
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 09:09:47 AM »
Hell, he's been carrying microwaves, and dragging suitcases and bathtubs, and rescuing mermaids and then throwing them back into the sea...no wonder the boy is so tired.

Actually, I think he's STILL very energetic...hasn't lost much at all.

Just wait...you will all (I hope) get older, too...it's not all peaches and cream. It basically sucks.
If the sky can crack there must be someway back

Neil Young

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »
I think Eno or Lanois said that Larry has developed his drumming enormously over his career. I think itís less about Larryís technique and more about the nature of the songs. ďGreat songs that get played on the radioĒ donít make for heavy rhythm sections.

JTBaby

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 12:34:19 PM »
"ďGreat songs that get played on the radioĒ donít make for heavy rhythm sections."

Let us know next time U2 releases one of those.

"Trump supporters are fucking morons"
ďAlbums still matter,Ē he said to the crowd of pop star and music luminaries. ďLike books and black lives"

Neil Young

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
"ďGreat songs that get played on the radioĒ donít make for heavy rhythm sections."

Let us know next time U2 releases one of those.
Thatís seems to be their ambition, I didnít say they have written any.

So Cruel

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 04:12:39 PM »
I think Eno or Lanois said that Larry has developed his drumming enormously over his career. I think itís less about Larryís technique and more about the nature of the songs. ďGreat songs that get played on the radioĒ donít make for heavy rhythm sections.

I would somewhat disagree with this. His most signature drum song is Sunday Bloody Sunday and thatís a song I hear a lot on the radio. The Bo Diddley beat for Desire which was a big single. Even With or Without You has a beat thatís unique and instantly recognizable.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 04:41:17 PM »
It's the metronome. :P

I reckon it's also Bono's voice. When your leadsinger is talking the lyrics or singing like a retired cabaret singer, you're not going to be conjuring T-Rex or The Ramones, are you? The way Bono used to sing lifted the band and they played on his level.

And here's a theory. Up until the 1990's, Bono's voice distracted you from the others. Now with his voice mostly shot and he's no longer belting out those magnificent Whooaahh--ohhhhss! of yesteryear, the rest of the band are exposed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:45:36 PM by The Edges Cat »
The Edge: ď[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ĎYou know what? Weíre not going to second-guess any of this. Letís just go for it.íĒ

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.