what I love the unforgettable era for, those b-sides

• 17 Replies

restofit

what I love the unforgettable era for, those b-sides
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:02:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTBMJqEdMqI

The album is great but the b-sides from the UF era are excellent (especially Love Comes Tumbling) one of my favourite U2 songs..

It was probably their best era for b-side material to be fair.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 05:08:02 AM by restofit »

JFW

• Refu-JFW
Re: what I love the unforgettable era for, those b-sides
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 05:08:44 AM »
Wide Awake In America was in April 2014 my first vinyl I bought, I already listened to them for a year and discovered Bad (Live Aid version) during the previous winter.

When I heard the B-sides, and the difference of the songs on album and live I was hooked. Since then and last October I finished my collection of U2 records (alright, not all the singles).
See through in the sunlight

restofit

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 05:24:48 AM »
Wide Awake In America was in April 2014 my first vinyl I bought, I already listened to them for a year and discovered Bad (Live Aid version) during the previous winter.

When I heard the B-sides, and the difference of the songs on album and live I was hooked. Since then and last October I finished my collection of U2 records (alright, not all the singles).

I've just finished buying most of the albums too, though I haven't got anything on vinyl - aren't you the dude who's the same age as me, How do you rank the albums? It would be interesting to see how our perspectives line up
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:30:24 AM by restofit »

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:17:00 AM »
Wide Awake In America...I listen to this one A LOT. Beautiful.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:35:39 PM »
I've never carded much for the b-sides from this era.
I really like the ones from JT i think the best ones were probably saved and put on R&H other than the tracks for the film/album that i think were obviously new like Desire.

I really love Heartland, but otherwise there's not a lot many of the b-sides that i'm crazy about.  Not like i am for Oasis which have amazing songs that they for some reason they tucked away.  Even after the B-sides album they released, the ones that came later are unbelievable IMO- You've Got the Heart of a Star.  Check it out.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 01:37:48 PM »
I've never carded much for the b-sides from this era.
I really like the ones from JT i think the best ones were probably saved and put on R&H other than the tracks for the film/album that i think were obviously new like Desire.

I really love Heartland, but otherwise there's not a lot many of the b-sides that i'm crazy about.  Not like i am for Oasis which have amazing songs that they for some reason they tucked away.  Even after the B-sides album they released, the ones that came later are unbelievable IMO- You've Got the Heart of a Star.  Check it out.

I am no oasis fan really but i'll acquiesce that acquiesce may be the best b side of all time

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 02:23:16 PM »

I've just finished buying most of the albums too, though I haven't got anything on vinyl - aren't you the dude who's the same age as me, How do you rank the albums? It would be interesting to see how our perspectives line up
Yes? I'm that 'dude'  ;).

It's kind of fluctuating

Pop
TJT (pretty high atm)
Boy
SOI
Zooropa
Achtung
OS1
October
War
Bomb (weirdly high)
R&H
ATYCLB
SOE

The last two I listen not so much to. Overall I like SOE more, but ATYCLB has better gems and better live versions

THRILLHO

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 02:41:55 PM »
yes the UF/JT b-sides are amazing. i've made playlists including the b-sides in the album and it works fine.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 05:43:49 PM »
Even the stuff that didn't make B sides is amazing. Disappearing act, Yoshino Blossom etc.
-------

restofit

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »

It's kind of fluctuating

Pop
TJT (pretty high atm)
Boy
SOI
Zooropa
Achtung
OS1
October
War
Bomb (weirdly high)
R&H
ATYCLB
SOE

The last two I listen not so much to. Overall I like SOE more, but ATYCLB has better gems and better live versions

Great to see OS1 represented here, I would probabaly agree with where you have put it, as for the UF I coudn't fathom having it that low, for me it's without a doubt a top 4 u2 album, but it's always good to see differing views, It's cool that you rate Boy so highly

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 07:18:43 AM »

It's kind of fluctuating

Pop
TJT (pretty high atm)
Boy
SOI
Zooropa
Achtung
OS1
October
War
Bomb (weirdly high)
R&H
ATYCLB
SOE

Great to see OS1 represented here, I would probabaly agree with where you have put it, as for the UF I coudn't fathom having it that low, for me it's without a doubt a top 4 u2 album, but it's always good to see differing views, It's cool that you rate Boy so highly
OS1 is for me a very long EP by U2 (don't want to start a discussion on that  ;)), but it has very good music on it.

As for TUF, it is a very good album, ASOH, Elvis and TUF are probably one of my favorites, while Pride and MLK does nothing for me. The experimental vibe makes it very good, but also not worthy for repeating every week; that's the main reason why it's so low, but could be higher. It has been in my top 3, I guess.

Boy is the album that gives me energy. And it's written around the same age when we started to listen to U2, that connects to me. I learnt things like how to grow up (Twilght: in the shadow boy meets man! You're changing). It also learnt me it's okay having trouble (I Will Follow, Out Of Control, Electric, Shadows and Tall Trees) and to think about sex (An Cath Dubh).

Pride

• Soul wind blow
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 06:52:48 PM »
Lesser known TUF outtake, but I really like Yoshino Blossom except for that awful noise at the beginning. Thee Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, and Bass Trap are all really good too. I haven't listened much to Boomerang I or II though.
Wake your reason's hollow vote, wear your blizzard season coat

AchtungBaby1991

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 01:43:11 PM »
AB and Pop b - sides are great too. UF is a masterpiece I do not understand why it's overlooked.
Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief

THRILLHO

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
Lesser known TUF outtake, but I really like Yoshino Blossom except for that awful noise at the beginning. Thee Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, and Bass Trap are all really good too. I haven't listened much to Boomerang I or II though.

not talked bout a lot but its not lesser known. those unreleased songs were a BIG deal when they came out. to bad we dont have a Zooropa specific or Pop one to look forward to...

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
AB and Pop b - sides are great too.

I actually think AB's B-sides are just okay. LWTSH is amazing, but Salome and Where Did It All Go Wrong are nothing special. Best era for B-sides for me is TJT.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.