BOY appreciation thread

• 24 Replies

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
BOY appreciation thread
« on: January 21, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
There's not enough love for the closest U2 has ever come to making a punk record. It was raw, rushed, riddled with mistakes (whose idea was it to play the glockenspiel on IWF?????, or to fade Electric Co then turn the volume back up?????) and full of tracklist and sequencing errors (whose idea was it to drop 11 O Clock Tick tock)

It was also brilliant, energetic, dripping with adolescent angst, bravado, and raw beauty.

Discuss.

--------
< - This man does not exist.

shineinthesummernight

Re: BOY appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »
"I Will Follow" is a stunning opening manifesto.  "An Cat Dubh" is a great rocker (play it loud), and the interlude between that and "Into the Heart" is one of the greatest moments in the U2 canon.

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 04:31:33 PM »
BOY is one of my fav albums...Electric Co...WOW
I Will Follow...WOW
Out of Control, Twilight, Into The Heart, Stories for Boys, all WOW
A Day Without Me...just wonderful (sad song, but wonderful)
The Ocean...I GOT TO SEE THIS AT SOE...thrilling (woulda been better without all the bono-dialogue), but still thrilling.
This is a great workout album, a great dance around the living room album, and just a great listen-to album. What a wonderful mess it is!
I am STILL amazed and just freaking thrilled that they played THREE of these songs at my SOI show.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

laoghaire

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 05:04:20 PM »
*Bonologue

laoghaire

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 05:22:45 PM »
Well, I am inspired to take Boy to the gym with me tomorrow.

Does anyone know how 11 O'Clock got left off? Or was it on the U23 EP? I don't think I've ever heard a studio version - UABRS was basically my studio.

My faves off Boy are Electric Co, Out of Control, and Into the Heart (Edge's simple guitar is everything).

laoghaire

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »

A glorious, punk mess. Drunk Baby Bono.

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
The last 3 songs are immense when taken as a whole. What an incredible close to an album.

Codeguy

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 05:44:11 PM »
I still love the Vertigo tour sequence of Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Into the heart. Best live three song U2 sequence ever IMO.
--------

mariamontreal

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 05:56:12 PM »
Oh yeah that was brilliant ...so damn good.
Totally agree best sequence in a concert by them.I get chills evetytime I replay that in my mind and watch it on dvd.Just GREAT.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:59:39 PM by mariamontreal »
She moves in mysterious ways

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
As albums by baby bands go it is OK.

Not as good IMO as say Echo and The Bunnymen's debut that came out same year "Crocodiles"....or The Cure's debut album "Three Imaginary Boys/Boys Don't Cry" again in 79/80.

Joy Divisions "Closer" is another from 1980 that is far far superior (albiet their 2nd album)....but Boy is a decent record.

I adore an cat dubh/into the heart.

I like Twilight and The Ocean - the rest is all a bit samey to me and lacking much distinction but is OK in the main.

Bono's awful English accent singing is funny though.

laoghaire

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 07:10:17 PM »
I heard the English accent for Stories for Boys on the TV appearance they did - lol. Never noticed it on the album though.

Codeguy

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 09:16:30 PM »
As albums by baby bands go it is OK.

Not as good IMO as say Echo and The Bunnymen's debut that came out same year "Crocodiles"....or The Cure's debut album "Three Imaginary Boys/Boys Don't Cry" again in 79/80.

Joy Divisions "Closer" is another from 1980 that is far far superior (albiet their 2nd album)....but Boy is a decent record.

I adore an cat dubh/into the heart.

I like Twilight and The Ocean - the rest is all a bit samey to me and lacking much distinction but is OK in the main.

Bono's awful English accent singing is funny though.

PAH!

PAH!!!!!It's the greatest debut album ever by any band in history.
PAH!!!!!
--------

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 09:23:39 PM »
Well, I am inspired to take Boy to the gym with me tomorrow.

Does anyone know how 11 O'Clock got left off? Or was it on the U23 EP? I don't think I've ever heard a studio version - UABRS was basically my studio.

My faves off Boy are Electric Co, Out of Control, and Into the Heart (Edge's simple guitar is everything).

The studio version of 11 O’Clock is a mess. No wonder it was left out. It really came to life later with UABRS.

The studio version is available on the deluxe version of « Boy ».
First Chair. Last Call.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 05:09:26 AM »
My take on 11 O'Clock is that it was never recorded with Steve Lillywhite (which is a damn shame). The Martin Hannett recording for the single doesn't really fit for the album in terms of mood and sounds. Too bad, really. But also : I think it turned out great for U2 that they had to work with Lillywhite eventually and not Hannett. The latter's sound was too dark for them, I think.

There is such a difference between U2's first few recordings and this album... It's really impressive. They evolved a lot in a very short period of time. And Lillywhite definitely gave the band a BIG sound that they didn't have previously.

Over the years, my favorite songs off Boy have switched... It was "Another Time, Another place" for a while... Then Twilight for a very long time. Lately I've had a new found love for "Stories for Boys".
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 06:22:56 AM »
Hannett would have been great for u2 look at his work with Joy Division...Closer is an absolutely incredibly atmospheric record and u2 could have done with some of his darkness - despite their attempts to not be they are better darker.

His unusual recording techniques would have helped the album too IMO and sawn off the pop edges that spoil it.

I wish u2 had worked with him more i think it would have been potentially great.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:32:58 AM by an tha »