U2's longest concert

• 22 Replies

JFW

• Refu-JFW
U2's longest concert
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:17:33 AM »
I'm working on a report, and I need to concentrate. I'm listening to a performance on Cohen now which last more than 3 hours! (For those who are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-l_uWlb4Qs)

Later this day I'll need a new one. I'd like to listen to a long concert of U2. What was U2's longest concert? And what is the longest concert of U2 that can be found on youtube?

Thanks!

See through in the sunlight

riffraff

• I know that the tide is turning 'round
Re: U2's longest concert
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:58:20 AM »
I have no idea...but none of them are long enough! haha
nothing makes sense, nothing seems to fit

riffraff

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:03:31 PM »
JFW, I found this on U2gigs.com

What is the longest concert U2 have played?
Our tour statistics page has a section for longest setlists that includes all instances where U2 have played more than 25 songs. As of the end of 2015, this amounts to three setlists of 27 songs and fifteen more of 26 songs. Most of these long setlists come from 2015 on the Innocence + Experience Tour. The three previous instances of U2 playing more than 25 songs at a show are 20 July 2011 in East Rutherford, 30 July 2011 in Moncton, and 27 June 2005 in Dublin. That last one, however, features An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart, which are basically two parts of an essentially inseparable whole, so some people may only count that set as having 25 songs.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 12:14:12 PM »
I'd be surprised if they have any major outlying performances where a super long performance exists.  Their shows are finely tuned and offer little variance.  Maybe an early performance- but they didn't have the huge source of material to pull from.

laoghaire

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 12:23:12 PM »
Yeah I don't think we're going to unearth some Springsteen-length performance.

Their longest gig? In some ways, Live Aid.

JFW

• Refu-JFW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »

Our tour statistics page has a section for longest setlists that includes all instances where U2 have played more than 25 songs. As of the end of 2015, this amounts to three setlists of 27 songs and fifteen more of 26 songs. Most of these long setlists come from 2015 on the Innocence + Experience Tour. The three previous instances of U2 playing more than 25 songs at a show are 20 July 2011 in East Rutherford, 30 July 2011 in Moncton, and 27 June 2005 in Dublin. That last one, however, features An Cat Dubh and Into The Heart, which are basically two parts of an essentially inseparable whole, so some people may only count that set as having 25 songs.
Merci!
See through in the sunlight

guest259

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
One of Bono's solo speeches is longer than any U2 concert, and indeed, longer than any live performance by any musical group, at any time, ever.

guest87

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 03:21:12 PM »
I think I+E was their longest show at about two and a half hours.  It was certainly the three U2 shows I've seen.  I was quite impressed in that regard given their age.  I reckon two hours is the perfect length for a rock concert.

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »
They're not a particularly long-playing act. I've heard criticisms from Bruce Springsteen fans, but he takes about 20 performers with him, wheres U2 insists on only the four of them on stage together so if you're the vocalist or drummer, there's a physical limit to how much exertion you can do day in day out.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

guest87

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 04:21:16 PM »
They're not a particularly long-playing act. I've heard criticisms from Bruce Springsteen fans, but he takes about 20 performers with him, wheres U2 insists on only the four of them on stage together so if you're the vocalist or drummer, there's a physical limit to how much exertion you can do day in day out.

Pretty sure Bruce sings all the lead vocals and his Drummer plays all the drums.

riffraff

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 04:33:25 PM »

Merci!
;)

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »

Pretty sure Bruce sings all the lead vocals and his Drummer plays all the drums.
Well, Bruce does sing most of the lyrics (He is in AMAZING shape for a 69 year old) but he plays a lot of songs without drums. IMO guitar players can go on for hours, it's the singer and drummer who can't.
--------
< - This man does not exist.

riffraff

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 04:54:42 PM »

Well, Bruce does sing most of the lyrics (He is in AMAZING shape for a 69 year old) but he plays a lot of songs without drums. IMO guitar players can go on for hours, it's the singer and drummer who can't.
I saw a few Bruce shows back in the 70's...VERY long shows, VERY energetic shows. Just fabulous entertainment. Clarence was awesome.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
Bruce is great, but he is an anomaly.

guest28

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 08:54:51 AM »
Getting back on topic...i recall hearing that one of the Glasgow shows, for I&E tour, u2 equalled their record for the most songs played in a show and the gig was being touted as the longest show they have ever played.