young U2 fans?

• 37 Replies

restofit

young U2 fans?
« on: January 20, 2019, 06:03:27 AM »
I'm curious as to what the age demographic of this forum would look like, I'm 21 and I'm interested to know how many other under 30 year old's frequent this site

It's funny I'm in the minority among my peers, I'm not aware of anyone around my age that is a fan of U2, the big bands that people around my age seem to listen to are radiohead, tame impala, kenrick lamar etc..

I only know of U2 fans among people I know who are over 50, one being my Dad and the other my Dad's friend!

riffraff

• You've got to get yourself together
Re: young U2 fans?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 06:09:07 AM »
Uh oh. I don't belong on this thread! Run away, run away!
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

guest28

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:20:07 AM »
I'm curious as to what the age demographic of this forum would look like, I'm 21 and I'm interested to know how many other under 30 year old's frequent this site

It's funny I'm in the minority among my peers, I'm not aware of anyone around my age that is a fan of U2, the big bands that people around my age seem to listen to are radiohead, tame impala, kenrick lamar etc..

I only know of U2 fans among people I know who are over 50, one being my Dad and the other my Dad's friend!

Thing is......Kendrick Lamar, Tame Impala and likely 99% of todays "hip" artists will long be forgotten in 10-15 yrs time. You and many many others, will still be enjoying u2's music.

I have said many many times before....i believe that u2 will only truly be appreciated for their greatness, after they are no longer around. That old saying about not realising what you have till its gone......

riffraff

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 08:43:21 AM »
I agree, Smee. I think all the negative people, some even on this forum, will realize this someday.
You gotta stand up straight, carry your own weight, these tears are going nowhere

laoghaire

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
Kendrick won a Pulitzer. I think we'll remember him.

guest87

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »

Who?

riffraff

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 10:58:44 AM »

Who?
This made me make a big snort noise...

laoghaire

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 01:38:31 PM »
Like him or hate him, he is not fluff.

laoghaire

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 01:42:08 PM »
So, restofit, I guess you have your answer: you're carrying the U2 banner for your generation alone.

But we are awfully proud of you.

How did this happen for you, anyway?

Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
Yeah I donít think U2 has done anything to make new fans since the atomic bomb record 14 years ago so I doubt thereís too many under the age of 30 . A teenager today doesnít remember U2 having a hit song despite their desperate appeals
--------
< - This man does not exist.

laoghaire

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 02:53:19 PM »
There's a few. Hardly any, but they exist.

My teen and her friend are casual fans - and they found U2 by themselves. In fact, I believe the friend found SOI on her iPhone. One day she tried it and RBW lit up for her. She drove her folks crazy playing the album, and my daughter too, until RBW started getting to her as well. I was unaware of this, and never played U2 for my daughter (hiatus since she was born so she'd never even heard of them).

So when I came back from my hiatus I played a couple SOI songs in the car and my daughter knew them. Can you imagine my shock? And then to learn both girls were listening.

I had gotten tickets to see e+i so I asked a few questions about the friend and learned she was listening to SOI like crazy. So I took her to the concert, too. They went and The Blackout stunned them. That was their favorite song of 2018 outside of anime stuff.

So they love SOI and SOE and maybe have vaguely heard of Beautiful Day and that's it. It's the damndest thing. The Crystal Ballroom is a favorite; they've literally never even heard of WOWY.

But they aren't hard core because if they were, they would be digging up the back catalog. But I have no doubt they will eagerly check out the next album, knock on wood that there is one.

restofit

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »
So, restofit, I guess you have your answer: you're carrying the U2 banner for your generation alone.

But we are awfully proud of you.

How did this happen for you, anyway?

Well my dad was born in the 60's so he got to experience the band's rise to fame as he grew up, especially back in the 80's around the time of Unforgettable Fire-The Joshua Tree U2 was becoming very popular in New Zealand, I'm not sure why  exactly (perhaps a band from a small country of 5 million resonates a lot with people over here)

U2 were having more number 1 selling albums in NZ than anywhere for a while, everyone you knew listened to them, and now those boomers still make up the majority of NZ's population so they still completely sell out when the band tours down under,

He saw the band on the Unforgettable Fire tour in Auckland in September 1984
and on 1989-11-04 part of the Lovetown tour, there was over 60,000 people crammed into the tiny Lancaster Park in Christchurch, an overwhelming sweet scent of marijuana wafting across the stadium according to him

So how I got into U2? Well my dad would play HTDAAB in his car a-lot while I was growing up, then 18 greatest hits for a while, so those songs became ingrained in my memory and experiences from a young age, but I didn't purposely seek out U2 until I went off to university, I started listening to those familiar U2 songs I had heard before because they reminded me of home and also those simpler times growing up as a kid, eventually I stumbled upon more obscure stuff from the album Zooropa, the numb music video, that harsh industrial vibe captivated me, but before all of this Songs Of Innocence was the first wow moment, I got hooked on that album, It was the classic U2 that I had known from previous experience but also stunningly fresh and modern, I couldn't get enough of that album.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:10:06 PM by restofit »

laoghaire

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 07:27:59 PM »
That's awesome, I enjoyed reading that.

I share U2 with my mom a bit. She got TJT when it came out and her playing it is what got me hooked. She picked up R&H on cassette and then the video, and of the dozens of times I've watched R&H, all of them were with my parents (my dad was happy to watch too). My mom quotes the movie like a pro. She also loves most of TUF.

My poor parents have listened to TJT and R&H millions of times. God bless them.

I think SOI is awesome. I listen to the newer stuff more than the older stuff.

According to YT comments, you aren't alone - but surely in a select and scattered group.

riffraff

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
Man, you guys make me feel so old...I'm probably older than your parents! But I'm still rockin'.

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 07:57:57 PM »
Rest, what is your favorite U2 album /song and why?